No announcement yet.

Seagull away a while . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Hurtigruten timetable said northbound hurtigrute arriving Kristiansund at 10:15 PM with departure at 11:00 PM. That should give a good 45 minutes to meet the Seagull...., or at least so I though.
    I brought my daughter and we drove to the city, even if I saw on AIS that SPITSBERGEN was a little late, but still, it looked like we were going to have at least 30 minutes.
    When the ship finally arrived, it was 10:52 PM when the gangway hit the dock, no visitors allowed on board, no passengers allowed to leave the ship.
    So, there we were...., silently looking at each other for 8 minutes, waving and doing signs of distant hugs.
    Yes, Cecilia, you are correct: Kristiansund really is a southbound destination, as you put it.

The reason for the late arrival in Kristiansund?
    Some technical problems, or an issue, with one of the life boats in Molde. This gave a late departure from that city.

Better luck next time.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I'm back! Thanks all for earlier comments, and I can report to ombugge that this Seagull was definitely not responsible for that ten minute delay! In fact I was on deck looking down over the open gangway hatch at the time, but didn't see any latecomers. They just closed it and off we sailed!
      As envisaged I had taken advantage of many people going on the organised excursions and had been taking photos around the ship. I only left it to walk around the block of new-to-me buildings on the quay, and photograph the ship from the quay, including one of her stern from the corner of the Radisson hotel terrace.

Given the weather I was glad I had not insisted on dragging you away from your Sunday lunch on a wet walk, ombugge. But what I had not known in advance was that port guests are able to visit the ship during this longer stop in Ålesund. I could have invited you for lunch …or a coffee {or beer!!!) fika, after all!
      Most extraordinary was to discover later that our CVF member Sigve had been aboard in Ålesund, and had seen me, quote, “"on your way to the dining room" ” but "“was not 100% sure so did not contact".He has not been on the forum for some months, so would not have known of my travel plans - (or perhaps the colour my hair is nowadays!). I will let him know when I have sorted and posted photos, in case that encourages him to pop in here again.

As Sterkoder has already described, things got even more bizarre in Kristiansund, after the long delay in Molde which was due to a problem with the lifeboat davit. But even in more normal circumstances, and although not now in the middle of the night, it can apparently seem be more of a timetable-adjusting opportunity than a stop! Anyway I have convinced Sterkoder that his wonderful city is definitely a southbound destination! Great to at least see you and Vilde!

I had of course already calculated that pakarang would be back at work, and moreover on night shift, and I wouldn't encroach into the brief time in his hectic schedule intended for daytime sleep, so Trondheim was already the 'no meet-up no guilty feelings' port! But how very wonderfully special to receive your message of welcome Captain; I was amazed you even had time to remember my schedule. Sunshine arrived in Trondheim with me, and I enjoyed my brief stay in your city so much. The temporary sculpture exhibition at Kristiensten fortress ...tick. Another section of the Ladestien trail with visit to the wonderful Ladekaia ...tick. In other words, achieving my main objectives and more!

I'm so glad I'd made the big tick of the trip - the Spitsbergen experience on her last trip in the regular route this Spring - after being unable to make a more complete Seagull trip in April. I know the rest of May is going to be overwhelmingly hectic with two long weekends spoken for in addition to key hospital appointments for D. But, having mentioned D, I hadn't factored in the fall out from the latest Windows version installations while I was away. Now no gloating dear Apple folk! D only wrote and supported Windows software in his business, and he still has lots of amateur customers with impossibly ancient hardware who he does want to help. Anyway,I'm going along with a rather good offer of him buying me a new faster more-of-everything new computer in exchange for my very old existing one which he has uses for. The only loosers are you, CVF family, as it will take a while before I get back to normal, and unfortunately just when I had such a promising schedule of photo posting in various threads.

So think of this post as my latest 'trip report' ...the illustrations wiill emerge s-l-o-w-l-y! I can see I might be in a minimal 'away-style iPAD mode' for a while longer! And right now, as Thijs at least will appreciate, I'm going to watch the F1 grand prix race from Barcelona [Edit update:...another engine problem for Kimi, but I did enjoy the F2 and GP3 races!]
      Last edited by Seagull; May 14th, 2018, 09:22.

Comment

After several long weekends away and all sorts of other issues, I am now getting a new computer set up at D's and currently don't have access to my photos. Tomorrow I will try to post some I had separately available ready for the Serenissima thread. Not at all sure when anything resembling 'normal service' will be resumed!

Comment

Normal service for me lately seems to be no service at all.

I'm really working hard on making time to fit in work and free time, but there is always something popping up.

Everything in due time! Make sure you take your time and enjoy everything as much as possible.
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I'll be away a while, setting off on Monday, 19th November.
            Here is a clue to where I'm heading!

Comment

• Ralf__
              Ralf__ commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought the championship is decided..... gnihihihi!

• Seagull
              Seagull commented
              Editing a comment
              Both drivers’ and constructors' F1 championships are decided, BUT…

It's Kimi's last race for Ferrari ...and realistically his last opportunity for another podium before he goes to Sauber. No longer team orders for Ferrari and Mercedes! - an exciting prospect indeed as Seb will be wanting to end the season somewhat better than he has been doing and Valtteri Bottas wants that elusive first win. Add the Red Bulls and anything could happen ...especially with Max at the moment!

The F2 championship isn't quite secured, and George Russell will want to add that to his trophy cabinet before he joins Williams in F1 next year. The Thai/Beitish driver Alex Albon, currently 2nd in the F2 championship, had signed to drive in Formula E next year, but has also been linked to the remaining vacant seat in F1 with Toro Rosso.

And there's GP3 in Abu Dhabi too, and I always cheer for Tatiana Calderon who has just become test driver for the Sauber F1 team!
              https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...asier-than-gp3

Ummm and I haven't even mentioned the great venue, facilities, and top-notch hospitality at the Yas Marina.Circuit.
              Or that I've plans for a couple of days in Dubai afterwards...

Have a wonderful and safe journey!....
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Seagull
              Seagull commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you pakarang - Flying EDI - DXB. New service for Edinburgh as Emirates took over Qatar Airways slot!

And don't miss the Thai reference in my reply comment to Ralf above!
          Working...
          X