Seagull away a while . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish you both a wonderful cruise with "Serenissima"

A picture from Porto Di Portoferraio in the early afternoon showing "Serenissima" moored
    Not the best picture, but the ship is easily recognizable.

Best wishes from
    Bengt Domben

Comment

• Seagull
      Seagull commented
      Editing a comment
      Great capture! Thank you Bengt.

Lady C is currently underway from Bonifacio to Napoli.... steaming along at just above 14 knots!

Bet she is having a wonderful on board dinner as we speak!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Seagull
      Seagull commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes! There were engine visits in the afternoon - always more spectacular when underway of course! And then an absolutely yummy dinner followed a lecture about Vesuvius. This morning I photographed the volcano with a fabulous sunrise as the ship approached Naples.

• Ralf__
      Ralf__ commented
      Editing a comment
      Speaking of engine visits,,, did you ask about the stabilizers? Don't forget it !!!

I have now been back a few days after what has been a very successful though inevitably exhausting trip with "cabin second-mate" (i.e. the human being rather than the soft squidgy mascot #1!).

The Mediterranean itineraries tend to attract somewhat more sedate guests than, say, my trips to the Azores and to Panama, and the staff accompanying the local guides on excursions were very good about factoring in those all important breaks and toilet stop opportunities. Consequently, and to my absolute astonishment, D went on ALL the excursions every single day!
    Dining room staff I already knew ensured no difficulty in meal matters, AND super birthday celebrations for him!

As I may have mentioned, the cruise date was not picked to include the birthday, but was a narrow window of opportunity before this week when D will be in hospital for a scheduled procedure/tests on Thursday. So I haven't even had time to download all my photos yet. Next update from me in a few days will hopefully be in the Serenissima thread with some answers to one of your questions

Comment

• yvneac
      yvneac commented
      Editing a comment
      I stay tuned,of course.

Welcome home from your second "home-at-sea"... glad all went well and that you after all had a wonderful time on board.

Can't wait to see some photos and read some stories from your time on board!

But, all in due time as time permits - naturally!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Here I am again. Yeapp, it isn't just Captain's delightfully named c-gull drone that takes to the air!
      This Seagull is off down to London Heathrow today, and then tomorrow I can best describe myself as "doing a pakarang" ...so no prizes for guessing where I'm heading long haul!

Apologies to those whose posts I may seem to have missed (actually I haven't - it was just time for comments that ran out). And especially apologies to Serenissima fans - posting some photos of the ship in Mediterranean ports will now be a December/Xmas activity.
      As will, hopefully, some photos to please our Captain from my forthcoming travels!

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
        Here I am again. Yeapp, it isn't just Captain's delightfully named c-gull drone that takes to the air!
        This Seagull is off down to London Heathrow today, and then tomorrow I can best describe myself as "doing a pakarang" ...so no prizes for guessing where I'm heading long haul!

Apologies to those whose posts I may seem to have missed (actually I haven't - it was just time for comments that ran out). And especially apologies to Serenissima fans - posting some photos of the ship in Mediterranean ports will now be a December/Xmas activity.
        As will, hopefully, some photos to please our Captain from my forthcoming travels!
        Doing a pakarang! hahahahahahahahaha

Safe travels always - hope DTH surpassed your expectations. Glad you got to experience this venerable place before they starts demolishing it all together.

Can't wait - in due time - for all those glorious images you perhaps might bring us!

Comment

• Seagull
          Seagull commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh yes, so glad I splurged with two nights at DTH
          Enjoying the Millennium Hilton too in a different way. I’d been to the 360 bar before but not stayed here. Had points to spend this time.

DTH isn’t the only thing which won’t be here next time I am. But from an earlier comment you probably guessed where I was. My day at Sanam Luang has been totally moving and inspiring.

I've been back in Scotland over a week already and am still nowhere near 'catching up'. Actually I never did between my previous 'away' and this one! I feel I must be at D's over Christmas, though the new medication will start after the New Year holiday and so it is January that's going to be complicated. I am determined to be travelling again in February - booked many months ago. (A boat comes into it ...but not anything you were probably thinking!)

Priority activity here on CVF is Ralf and Yves marvellous trip reports, then attempt to make a post or two in the Thailand section to cheer up our Captain when he gets back to freezing temperatures. Similarly in the Serenissima thread. Spontaneous, gradual, relaxing, no-pressure drip-feed posting ...I think I shall have to ban the otherwise delightful and traditional CVF term 'trip report' - only for my own photos I hasten to add - as it seems to induce panic, guilt, endless apologies, and not a lot for you to look at!

Edit added 16th December - ummm seems I was a bit too optimistic with promises of posts appearing in Thailand and Serenissima threads by now!
        But I was rather too early for New Year Resolutions wasn't I
        Last edited by Seagull; December 16th, 2017, 12:07.

Comment

The journey begins. Flying EDI to LHR today.

Comment

• Tommi
            Tommi commented
            Editing a comment
            Have a great stay at Heathrow!

And today LHR - SIN - RGN.
          Apologies to Captain for not flying Thai Airways but the Singapore Airlines flights came with the Irrawaddy river cruise! Should be interesting to compare the service in business though.

Comment

Ohhhh... wonderful. To be honest, Singapore Airlines is miles ahead of Thai (says the boy/man who loves Thai)... I'm entirely convinced that SIA will give you a most wonderful experience.

I'll be on my way tomorrow morning as well - to Hong Kong, and Bangkok, for 8 fully packed and busy days.

PS: I'm so super excited to experience Chinese New Year in Hong Kong this coming week - thankfully, I'm not paying for the hotel. During Chinese New Year in Hong Kong, a bed in a dormitory is overly priced somewhere above 1500NOK! I even saw a half-star-hostel with a bed in dormitory priced at a whopping 2.300NOK!

Happy travels and stay safe always!

Comment

• ombugge
              ombugge commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, very good choice, both of airline and destination. Burma/Myanmar is an amazing country but, like Cuba, you have to hurry before mass tourism change it to Disneyland. (Or Genting Highlands)
              Some parts in the north, near the Chinese, Laos and Thai borders is already well on the way.

I really am back, but so far have only managed to raise my beak above the forum parapet to make a couple of birthday greetings and an enthusiastic 'don't miss Captain's YouTube video' recommendation.

One of "Seagull’s Laws of Travel" states that it takes a length of time equal to the duration of a trip to catch-up afterwards and resume anything resembling a regular life with time for the Forum. I guess this explains why I'm in total awe of our Captain's achievements and rapid multi-tasking turnarounds which according to Seagull's Laws should be absolutely impossible! Clearly I'll have to downgrade these 'Laws' to mere general guidelines!

However... the current post-trip period has been, eh... rather more complicated than usual.

It started before I had even left the UK. Staying a night at the Sofitel hotel in Terminal 5 at Heathrow, I was about to head for my dinner booking at their wonderful fine dining restaurant (yes really at an airport hotel), when my phone rang. It was a very miserable-sounding D telling me that his freezer had stopped working. The top compartment had been so cold that a tub of Soft Swedish Icecream became rock solid and had to be thrown out after bending a spoon - whilst the contents of the lowest compartment were wet and soggy. I got the impression that D had actually made an Excel spreadsheet showing 'which meals which days' now requiring complicated symbols and time lines of every possible scenario going forward. Arghhh...

In fact it shouldn't have seemed such a disaster for, encouraging fresh food shopping, I had not stocked up his freezer, and his kitchen appliances are insured - repair or replace. But it was a few days after reporting the fault before an engineer came round, and declared the freezer would be replaced. And so, by well into the second of my two weeks in Burma it was looking equal odds on what would arrive in Edinburgh first, the freezer or me! And that was rapidly becoming something you wouldn't want to bet on because of the WEATHER!

I'd stayed over at Heathrow again on the way back (this time at the Hilton ...it's a points thing, I usually get an upgrade, and I like their Asian restaurant!). Then I got a text message from British Airways informing me that my flight to Edinburgh next day was cancelled. Seems like the actual plane was stuck in snow somewhere, and it was only then that I realised the extent of widespread weather disruption in Europe. I actually got re-booked on an earlier flight the following morning and arrived in EDI more or less when expected, but the departure boards in Terminal 5 that morning had been a sight to behold.

To cheer him up, after shopping for some food I had headed directly to D's ...where I've been stranded ever since! Edinburgh usually avoids extremes of snow when nearby places north and south are struggling, but it had sure made up for that by the following morning, especially up there on the higher ground at the southern edge of the city.

And then the central heating gas boiler failed!

At least D still has the original 1970s electric heater that came with the house - the 3 bar with imitation coal fire effect type - plus a small portable blower heater. And I'm sure the umpteen computers ensure the upstairs room where D spends most time more or less heats itself. By this time the bus services throughout Edinburgh had stopped and I wasn't considering relocating to my flat. During a lull in snowfall next day the gas engineer made it, having walked up from the nearest gritted road, and sorted the problem which turned out to be an icy-snow blocked condensate pipe. And the freezer delivery got through too, although the installer's earliest date is next week.

Then this morning, it started snowing again, and I turn on the tap... no water!

Spent some time trying this and that before reports of a loss of supply to a large area of southern Edinburgh appeared on the water company's website. They're working on it...

But although it feels like a very long time indeed since I was drifting along the Irrawaddy, sitting out on deck in delightful tropical temperatures sipping a cold beer, it's still within that Seagull's Law time span!

Comment

• Ralf__
              Ralf__ commented
              Editing a comment
              I appreciate your change from Law to Guideline, otherwise we would have missed this wonderful written story... really worth to make a film of it. I just checked some Webcams of Edinburgh, the conditions seem to normalize again. But it is always astonishing, how a few centimeters of snow cause huge problems in cites like London, Rome or even Edinburgh, were they are not used to it.
              D should have analyzed the temperature inclination between the several compartments and exchange the food systematically from up to low to keep all in perfect temperature. This would have kept him busy, while you were away and he would have been able to enjoy the Swedish Icecream. And even the spoon would have survived.

• Seagull
              Seagull commented
              Editing a comment
              Tommi - Absolutely Except D expects things to be fixed for him and INSTANTLY - a wave of a magic wand comes to mind! Everyday inconveniences do tend to get him down more since his illness though, where previously there'd have been frustration-venting temper tantrums (...think that marvellous sculpture in Oslo's Frogner park! )
              Anyway the good news is that the water supply is back this morning - and, miracle of miracles, D never got any power cuts!!!!!

• Seagull
              Seagull commented
              Editing a comment
              Ralf! - THANK YOU, THANK YOU!
              I do OCCASIONALLY have what I call 'a good word day'! And I thought our Captain deserved a much better read than a grovelling 'late again' apology!
              And you were spot on Ralf ...a sequel film "Seagull’s Laws 2" can now show the delivery from Amazon of a couple of freezer thermometers!

Unfortunately the new route started sometime ago by Singapore Airlines had to change its destinations - it seems there was very little interest in going to NZ. So we still have Canberra and Sydney as ports and that may well boost our numbers. There may have been other reasons I am not aware of. The new route is to be Singapore - Canberra - Sydney - Singapore.

Comment

• Seagull
              Seagull commented
              Editing a comment
              Nari - I'll get around to posting in the General Aviation Section EVENTUALLY to tell you all about the delights of the Singapore business class flight!
          Working...
          X