No announcement yet.

Seagull away a while . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should probably have posted about my computer issues of the last few days here as well as in the Chit-chat zone. It's all taken even longer than I had expected, though no major disasters.
    Anyway, just as I might have been a tiny bit more visible, I am going to be actually away for the next few days.

I'm off down to Leicester tomorrow for a weather satellite event. This might not have been my top priority just now, but I agreed to going as I wasn't sure D would go if I didn't - a bit nervous about travelling and being away because of his underlying illness I think. I suppose I could just about give his presentation if I had to.

Comment

I'm sure that will be interesting, Cecilia, even if it was not top priority for you. It's surprising how these things can turn out to be well worth the experience in the end.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• Seagull
        Seagull commented
        Editing a comment
        It will certainly be interesting Ivy, for two people from the European weather satellite organisation in Darmstadt are coming across to explain the latest developments. There are some major changes in the dissemination of the satellite data coming soon. D's scheduled to speak after them, and is not sure exactly what aspects they'll go into in detail. So I've encouraged him to take a different angle on it focused more at what an amateur will need to do, and likely pitfalls along the way. Finished the powerpoint presentation yesterday, Seagull-style input just in case, though D now seems ok and more chirpy.

• wherrygirl
        wherrygirl commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds like a good idea - bringing in the amateur angle, and I'm sure that it is one that not many will have focused upon in the various presentations. I'm also sure that there will be several very interested amateurs in the audience who will value David's input.

• Seagull
        Seagull commented
        Editing a comment
        Big success! D felt fine once he got there, my suggestions for his talk went down well and the humorous bits woke everybody up – especially throwing a bag around and at me to illustrate data packets! - oh and a jocular mention of Glasgow even got a laugh south of the border!

Once back after the weekend, I’m back thinking about posting photos from the Thailand trip, which was apparently SO relaxing that I didn’t seem to be able to get started at all on my return!

Contributing to this inaction has been the un-trip-like aspects of “T3” (my 3rd trip to Thailand) compared with the sequential nature of, for example, a cruise or a road tour. I just couldn’t decide where to start, and in which thread to start or even if to start at all (given that I am still aboard Fram here on CVF nearly one whole year on).

But I just dipped my toes into the hotel room views section. You’ll find me first in the general thread, after which some hotels I stayed in will have to have their own threads there, as there are so many pictures. Maybe I’ll have to slip into the Thailand section sometime too; we’ll see how it goes. :-)

Comment

Please do share your Thailand images - each and every one of them.

Why don't you dip your entire foot in the tub and create an own big thread easy to follow?

You know you are more than welcome - and I will surely enjoy looking at your impressions as I have some idea of your whereabouts during your stay.

Can't wait for you to get going - but no stress for me, whenever you are ready and feel for it.

Now...? Please...?
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Dearest pakarang, you have no idea how happy your post has made me. How could I possibly have imagined that you wouldn't want to see the photos. Your questioningly hopeful "Now …Please" goes straight to my heart.

Just one thing though - there really is such a HUGE proportion of the photos that are of the five resort hotels that I really think it would be best to give each its own thread in the hotels section. I did that for hotels in Bangkok and Sukhothai previously, and it's always been easy to find them there when I wanted to refer to them - and maybe for others too who could be considering staying there and are searching for more images.

All the remaining photos fit in existing threads in the Thailand section for Phuket and Hua Hin, and a new thread I'd like to start there for Khao Lak. I promise it will be easy to follow, and cross-referenced with the resorts.

I already feel like totally soaking myself in that tub! That’s not just a figure of speech either - wouldn't the bathtub in this photo be a very good place to start?

Comment

Here I am in this thread again, soon to be away a while!
            Still so many outstanding accounts of my past travels that I so much want to prepare and post, Thailand especially. I think this winter I might need to become rather more self-indulgent in this regard. I'm sure I’'d still read every single post on CVF, but it takes inarticulate-me so long to reply to even a few of them adequately.

It's been a rather complicated few months, As I'd had some weeks pencilled in for a possible trip which didn't materialise, I was going to fit in some time in Norway instead (maybe even catching up with some of you), but that didn't quite work out either. So now, quite suddenly it feels, I'm about to depart on the cruise booked a whole year ago, aboard Serenissima! So excited

I depart for London on Tuesday, and overnight hotel. On Wednesday I meet the majority of the group for the flight to Malta, where we board the ship. (The flights from and to London are included in the price of the cruise.) I return home on November 9th.

Although it is possible to purchase wifi internet access on board, connection is not always possible, and I imagine this may particularly be the case in the later part of the route along the North African coast. But I'll report progress here if I'm able to. I'll only have an iPad with me though, so no immediate photos. Those of you on FB might get some previews though.
            I know some of you might be looking out for Serenissima on AIS, and you'll see the cruise start with a leisurely circumnavigation of Sicily.

Comment

• Sterkoder
              Sterkoder commented
              Editing a comment
              I wish you all the best on your cruise on board the SERENISSIMA, and unusual for me (who is impatient when it comes to pictures), enjoy your trip without thinking about CVF, FB or any other disturbing thing. I'm comfortable and sure images will come in due time :-)

• Ralf__
              Ralf__ commented
              Editing a comment
              Sterkoder, how do you define "due time" in connection with Seagull??? nagnag

Don't worry, i am just teasing. I wish you the time of your life aboard. Have a save and wonderful travel.

• Azimut
              Azimut commented
              Editing a comment
              I wish you a fantastic voyage with a lovely ship

BON VOYAGE!

Best regards to all my friends on the SERENISSIMA!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
              BON VOYAGE! Best regards to all my friends on the SERENISSIMA!
              You can be sure I will, Jan-Olav Well folks, as I had a changeable flight Edinburgh To Heathrow I decided on hurricane avoidance tactics and came a day early! This gave me an excellent day at the National History Museum yesterday. Now airside at terminal 4 awaiting gate announcement. Hope to be able to give you brief updates here in the forthcoming days - but not photos on CVF (only FB as I only have an iPad not a laptop). If I can't get wifi you can still follow Serenissima on AIS!

Comment

Yeay!

Serenissima dropped by Malta to pick up Lady C!

Comment

----- and the stalking begins!

Comment

----- a tiny ship with big water and experiences ahead!

Comment

WONDERFUL! great stalking pakarang! I'm onboard and in a total WOW state about Serenissima ...and the wifi works! So I can already tell you about a change of plan. It was clear from coming in on the plane that the strong but warm winds were causing a bit challenging seas so we stay in Valetta overnight, have our free half day "at sea" in the morning, and our excursion at Agrigento, Sicily, in the afternoon. Did I say I LOVE my cabin #424 ...as does Sea-Troll. Already spoke to Captain Josip Padjen and sent your regards Jan-Olav. (he said something about you being a wonderful person )

Comment

• Tommi
                        Tommi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It's very fine to hear that you're enjoying the fantastic (?) evening in Valletta. I hope that you'll have a fantastic voyage tomorrow.

How nice to hear.... all the best regard to you on your magnificent voyage.

Do you know the name of the Hotel Director now?

Anyhow - enjoy and bon voyage!

Comment

• Seagull
                        Seagull commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The Hotel Manager on this cruise is Irina Alexandrova.

Sorry, unable to find a decent webcamera from Palermo Port.....

Comment

• Seagull
                        Seagull commented
                        Editing a comment
                        ...but so very nice to see that you found SERENISSIMA was there, Jan-Olav Further update below...

Hello everybody! Can't keep up with everything on the ship wi-fi,but today I have some free time at a delightful cafe in the cathedral square of Catania ...AND they have. free wi-fi. So just a brief update. The first two days were a real challenge for some of the guests because the remnants of that hurricane eventually reached the Med and the crossing from Malta to Sicily was challenging for them...but of course your Seagull was fine! I haven't had chance yet to discuss the stabiliser situation you are all asking about , but will later, AND I think I'll get an engine room visit. I (heart) my cabin, and although (as Jan-Olav says in his account of the maiden voyage, the covered deck 4 is largely a crew area, it is considered ok to reach reception that way when taking the route through the lounge (ex cafeteria) and restaurant would disturb people. Also I can just go up a floor on the aft stair and out onto the flag deck. It is PERFECT!

Comment

• Ralf__
                        Ralf__ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        So good to hear you bouncing around the ship and feeling fine! Have fun!!
                    Working...
                    X