No announcement yet.

Seagull away a while . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't wait to see the photographs when you get back!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I've now moved up the coast a bit, to Khao Lak, and am staying first at a typical beach resort where I got a favourable deal (thus financing the more luxury stays!).. It seems a good place, not that I have much experience of this kind of hotel to compare - think loads of sunbeds around garden and pools, instructions about not hogging them, and which towels to take outside. But the absolutely most wonderful thing about this hotel is it's beachside location - on Pakarang Beach. Each evening I've walked along the sands and on to the pebble corals of Pakarang Cape. If you have read the thread about how we chose our forum names you will know the significance of our Captain's. It means a great deal to me to be here, to see how normality has been restored, to meet and support businesses of some local people. And, of course, to remember lives lost and others changed as a result of the tsunami.

Comment

I see that you have traveled to Thailand, I wish you a great vacation.

Comment

Now some indulgent luxury ... I'm located at the other side of the headland of Pakarang Cape at a resort, The Sarojin, which ten years ago had just been about to open its doors to its first guests when the tsunami struck. Soon re-established, it quickly built up a reputation for service and excellence. I seem to have mentioned the word "garden" when writing about the previous resort. Ummm, cross that out and put "grass" ....THIS is a garden! Trees of many kinds, winding paths, and little streams, a lotus pond, and a swimming pool with romantic 4-poster-style pavilions. The only possible downside to all this is a somewhat greater mosquito presence than I would be comfortable exposing our captain too. Talking of things maritime, the hotel also boasts its own luxury boat the Lady Sarojin, and tomorrow I am aboard her on a trip to the Similan Islands!

Comment

I take back what I said about captain and mosquitos in the previous post. The two bites I had disappeared without having showed any of the mosquito bite characteristics, and was probably just some other kind of insect who loved the exotic smelling oils they have in the spa just as much as I did! Actually and surprisingly there are more mosquitos to be avoided here in Hua Hin where (as already discovered by a couple of you determined Seagull-stalkers) I am based for the rest of my trip.

Comment

Completely forgot to make a brief update here this morning! ...was so carried away by so many interesting threads and posts. Well, I''m now at the Centara Grand hotel in Hua Hin (originally the Railway hotel and the first hotel in Hua Hinl) until I head back to Bangkok at the end of these wonderful weeks. The hotel is like a mini-Raffles-by-the-sea! I am trying to relax and take advantage of all the indulgent pleasures on offer, and whilst there are some intended places to visit that I have run out of days for one should always have an excuse to return! ...but guess what, I DID manage to find those fun shopping places that pakarang featured in his recent trip thread!

Comment

Since the last post I have visited some temples, an old royal palace ....and a vineyard! But now sadly time is catching up on me and this wonderful dream trip is nearly over. I've just arrived in Bangkok and fly as far as London tomorrow. Edinburgh Sunday. I have a feeling I might be less around CVF for some days then than I managed to be while away! I am informed there are/will be 2 F1 races recorded for me, other more dubious stuff D is convinced I should see, and then I suppose many a domestic task of the kind I have become unaccustomed to!

Comment

Welcome home to Scotland - I presume you have made it back home by now.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Yes! ...the last leg of the journey from London yesterday. Edinburgh was extremely FOGGY and the temperature 6°!

Comment

BUT (...apart from the inevitable desire for a longer holiday, the culture-shock and weather back here, and all the catching-up tasks!) :-

Comment

The holiday must have been very good and nice for the seagull, a total transformation

Comment

I never had doubt that Thailand would /will have that affect on many!

Comment

I should probably have posted about my computer issues of the last few days here as well as in the Chit-chat zone. It's all taken even longer than I had expected, though no major disasters.
                            Anyway, just as I might have been a tiny bit more visible, I am going to be actually away for the next few days.

I'm off down to Leicester tomorrow for a weather satellite event. This might not have been my top priority just now, but I agreed to going as I wasn't sure D would go if I didn't - a bit nervous about travelling and being away because of his underlying illness I think. I suppose I could just about give his presentation if I had to.

Comment

I'm sure that will be interesting, Cecilia, even if it was not top priority for you. It's surprising how these things can turn out to be well worth the experience in the end.
                              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• Seagull
                                Seagull commented
                                Editing a comment
                                It will certainly be interesting Ivy, for two people from the European weather satellite organisation in Darmstadt are coming across to explain the latest developments. There are some major changes in the dissemination of the satellite data coming soon. D's scheduled to speak after them, and is not sure exactly what aspects they'll go into in detail. So I've encouraged him to take a different angle on it focused more at what an amateur will need to do, and likely pitfalls along the way. Finished the powerpoint presentation yesterday, Seagull-style input just in case, though D now seems ok and more chirpy.

• wherrygirl
                                wherrygirl commented
                                Editing a comment
                                That sounds like a good idea - bringing in the amateur angle, and I'm sure that it is one that not many will have focused upon in the various presentations. I'm also sure that there will be several very interested amateurs in the audience who will value David's input.

• Seagull
                                Seagull commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Big success! D felt fine once he got there, my suggestions for his talk went down well and the humorous bits woke everybody up – especially throwing a bag around and at me to illustrate data packets! - oh and a jocular mention of Glasgow even got a laugh south of the border!

Once back after the weekend, I’m back thinking about posting photos from the Thailand trip, which was apparently SO relaxing that I didn’t seem to be able to get started at all on my return!

Contributing to this inaction has been the un-trip-like aspects of “T3” (my 3rd trip to Thailand) compared with the sequential nature of, for example, a cruise or a road tour. I just couldn’t decide where to start, and in which thread to start or even if to start at all (given that I am still aboard Fram here on CVF nearly one whole year on).

But I just dipped my toes into the hotel room views section. You’ll find me first in the general thread, after which some hotels I stayed in will have to have their own threads there, as there are so many pictures. Maybe I’ll have to slip into the Thailand section sometime too; we’ll see how it goes. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X