Seagull away a while . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seagull away a while . . .

In Hamburg is port anniversary and I thought about a visit and taking some photos when Fram is arriving.
    First I read the arrival is 11 a.m. - now it is 4 a.m. Sorry, this is too early and I won't do this. At the moment Fram is near Cuxhaven and in time, Queen Mary 2 follows. From Cuxhaven to Hamburg it needs around 4 hours.

If you plan to visit an other ship, it is a good idea doing this before 11 a.m.
    Later every place near the harbour is overcrowded.

At 4 p.m. the first ships will cast off and the grand departure parade starts at 5 p.m. It is difficult finding a good spotting place without being there hours earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Eilun View Post
      In Hamburg is port anniversary and I thought about a visit and taking some photos when Fram is arriving.
      First I read the arrival is 11 a.m. - now it is 4 a.m. Sorry, this is too early and I won't do this. At the moment Fram is near Cuxhaven and in time, Queen Mary 2 follows. From Cuxhaven to Hamburg it needs around 4 hours.
      Oh, it's the annual "Hafengeburtstag" event. What a blast, I'm convinced you all will enjoy your day!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommi View Post
        Oh, it's the annual "Hafengeburtstag" event. What a blast, I'm convinced you all will enjoy your day!
        It sounds fantastic. Shame Fram and the QM2 aren't a little closer - mind you, could probably park Fram in the QM's atrium!
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Fram arrived just before 6 o'clock this morning. Of course I had been up on deck to take photos before that! ...then breakfast and vacating cabins by 8 o'clock. It was a very quick turn around for the crew because by half past eleven I got a very good place to watch Fram leaving - from the deck of the fishery protection vessel Seefalke.

D had things to do and didn't allow enough time for attempting to see QM2 and other ships departing but nothing could have been more exciting than waving goodbye to Fram.

Comment

Latest update ...I was in Kiel yesterday as D went to meet a user of his software there, but I had free time in Holtenau at the Kiel canal
            Today we went up St Michael's church tower for a good view over the city of Hamburg, and in the afternoon I managed to persuade D that we should visit the marvellous model railway "Miniatur Wunderland"! I took so many photos!

Comment

I took so many photos!
              And how we look forward to see them!
              Last edited by Sigve; May 15th, 2013, 06:06.
              Regards; Sigve.
              ---
              IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

I’m back in Edinburgh, and saw a little of the Norwegian celebrations here yesterday!

The days in Hamburg were like a second and different kind of holiday. I didn’t manage ALL of Ralf’s suggested objectives, and without the Fram’s daily sheet to say where and when and what we should be doing, FAR too much time was spent deciding and (dis)agreeing – especially regarding where and what to eat, and I yearned at times for a little pakarang-style speed-sightseeing! On the other hand I am left with plenty of reasons to return to this magnificently maritime city. You can tell how much I enjoyed it because I bought two souvenirs! A little model lightship …and …a soft seagull!

Thanks for following me!
                Photos eventually of Hamburg, but first watch out for a new report thread of Fram’s voyage.

Comment

Cecilia,do you recognize?
                  She had a call in Caen yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                    Cecilia,do you recognize?....
                    I most certainly do!
                    How special to follow such a ship even after my voyage has ended, and watch her say hello to another member of our CVF family. That’s something that has happened in the past when a ship has visited Leith before continuing to Bergen and places north in Norway, but now I am looking in another direction!

Comment

I was a bit over-optimistic when I wrote in the Fram trip report thread that I would be able to speed up a bit! Sure I have some nice photos of the excursion to Winchester Cathedral on day 2 () ready to post but I need to write at least a few captions first …and now there’s a bigger BUT in the form of a hastily booked few days away. D’s back on track, I’m able to get away now …and I’m like a shaken-up bottle of sparkling wine when the cork gets released!

I leave Edinburgh tomorrow for what is a sort of Serenissima-spotting trip. Commitments the last few days prevented seeing her in Aberdeen and Stavanger as I’d long fancied doing, and now I couldn’t quite fit together Flåm or Ålesund at such short notice. But I’ll see her in Trondheim on Friday, and then the Saturday northbound hurtigrute is Lofoten and I managed to book a cabin for the two nights to Tromsø! Arrive there Monday, ready on Tuesday for seeing Harald Jarl’s arrival there at the end of her first trip in Norwegian waters as Serenissima. I find that very emotional and special and I just felt I had to be a tiny part of it. After all, a “first time back” only happens once, even though I may cruise aboard her in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                        I leave Edinburgh tomorrow for what is a sort of Serenissima-spotting trip. Commitments the last few days prevented seeing her in Aberdeen and Stavanger as I’d long fancied doing, and now I couldn’t quite fit together Flåm or Ålesund at such short notice. But I’ll see her in Trondheim on Friday, and then the Saturday northbound hurtigrute is Lofoten and I managed to book a cabin for the two nights to Tromsø! Arrive there Monday, ready on Tuesday for seeing Harald Jarl’s arrival there at the end of her first trip in Norwegian waters as Serenissima. I find that very emotional and special and I just felt I had to be a tiny part of it. After all, a “first time back” only happens once, even though I may cruise aboard her in the future.
                        This is so much more than a spotting trip! How exciting! Have a wonderful time, and so much more pictures and stories to hope for!
                        (What's that? A little bird is telling me that I also have my own trip report to worry about...)
                        MS Lofoten April 2006, March 2012, Feb 2013. MS Polarlys Dec 2010. MS Fram Feb 2009, Sep 2011.
                        Upcoming : MS Fram Dec 2013, MS Lofoten Sep 2014
                        My travelblog : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com. Hurtigruten, Antarctica, Svalbard, Norway (and other places...).

Comment

Trondheim - Sat 22_06_2013
                          Webcam captures
                          Lofoten departing for Tromsø - Seagull ombord (hopefully)

30 minutes before departure : click thumbnail for full size image

Departure : click thumbnail for full size image

I'm afraid that's the best I could manage. On the wide angle cam, she slipped out between updates.
                          Last edited by Clipper; June 22nd, 2013, 12:42.
                          ---------------------------
                          Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
                          Deck plan geek.

Comment

Nice to see those captures! Yes I am indeed aboard Lofoten now, and well on the way to Rørvik!

Comment

Just a very quick update. The sun actually appeared yesterday with perfect timing just as Lofoten left Svolvær ... celebratory refreshments were were served out on the aft deck. And then, half an hour before midnight, the ship entered the Trollfjord! I see in Harald Jarl / Serenissima thread that Clipper was keeping good track of subsequent progress! ...marvellous :-)

(Oh and Sea-Troll got his customary photo taken on the bridge with the Captain this morning, and is recommended for some gold stripes on his uniform!)

Comment

....meant to say that those celebrations I referred to were for St. Hans Eve, and so of course the traditional rømmegrøt was served.

Comment

Working...
                                X