Seagull away a while . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seagull away a while . . .

Oops - careful! Think that the Manx folk would disagree with the 'sailing over to England' thing!

Any Thomas the Tank Engine fans may also be interested to know that the Isle of Man sits in the Diocese of Sodor and Man, part of the Church of England (yes, I know what I just said, but this sort of thing gets complicated!). When the Rev Awdry needed somewhere for his trains to live, he chose Sodor to be a fictitious island in the Irish Sea. More here.
    Last edited by PoloUK; May 5th, 2013, 20:44.
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Hi Cecilia, can I order a picture or two:
      how does the promenade deck (5) look like outside the staircase, it seems like there's some doors there or what?

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
        Oops - careful! Think that the Manx folk would disagree with the 'sailing over to England' thing![/URL].
        I am sorry! And i hope that all Manx people will accept the excuse that I took this term right out of a voyage description, which has it's origin by Hurtigruten. "Von Irland nimmt die MS Fram ihren Weg wieder zurück nach England. Die Isle of Man besticht ....."

We are all here to learn and so i promise i never again will mix up the proud Manx folk with the English occupants .

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

No nice sight. Fram waiting in grey Douglas harbour.

Tomorrow they proceed to the Inner Hebrides and will visit the islands Iona and Staffa. Baile mór, the village on Iona seems to be a good place for a photo-safari. Lots of motifs there to present the typical island looks. Cecilia has to imagine herself as a tour guide to watch out for things, which for her are "normal", but for us something special. I guess, Hurtigruten will offer a guided tour to the birds and the Abbeys and i believe this will be the only opportunity to see Staffa. I don't think, they will use the polar circle boats here. It will be interesting to see how this day will turn out in real. I wish you a better weather than today!!

A musical feeling of the Hebrides can be found here: The Vatersay Boys from Barra at the Outer Hebrides:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VfoxVGO-mk

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
            We are all here to learn and so i promise i never again will mix up the proud Manx folk with the English occupants .
            Hee hee! The thing about being English is that one finds out just how many people are proud not to be!!
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Same you could say about the Americans.... or the Germans.... it is the fate of countries, which are or were the home of some silly people who are talking of "world's leading nations"....

Comment

Fair weather now in the afternoon on the Isle of Man.

Here is the Douglas harbour webcam showing Fram:

Comment

The Fram webcam is showing nothing spectacular today, but fine weather.
                  So i guess, Cecilia has a nice photo walk on Iona and Staffa.

Tomorrow they will visit Portree on the Isle of Skye, a place we will also visit in early August this year. There is nothing said about the offered excursions, but for sure Portree is well prepared for visitors, has lot's of nice shops and pittoresque buildings. The right place to find souvenirs. The question is: which Scottish souvenir is attractive for a lady living in Scotland?
                  A lot of handicraft is offered and famous is the sheep's wool, tinted with plant-based colors.

Comment

Fram is approaching Portree and her signal returned to marinetraffic.com. I will check her webcam picture later on and post it, if it is attractive.
                    There are some raindrops on the camera, but the weather still looks fine. This is wonderful weather, the whole week or am i wrong?

Comment

Signal disappeared again in the port and the webcam picture does not show something special. There is also no webcam in Portree.

Tomorrow they will arrive at the Orkneys and in Kirkwall.

Perhaps Cecilia will taste some razor clams or spoots, how the Orkneys call them.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/h...es/razor-clams

Maybe she will also visit the Highland Park Destillery, where they produce some very special Single Malt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Boj33DVSILQ

Worth a visit would also be Ruth's snack van "Teas and Tabnabs", which won the price for the best snack offer on the Orkneys.

http://www.orkney.com/b/Teas%20&%20T...%20Snack%20Van

And yes, there you can do the world's shortest regular flight from Westray to Papa Westray. Distance 2,8km, durance 2 minutes. You will get a certificate for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAC-9obbJYk

Comment

Very quick hello from Portree where I have only a few minutes Internet before setting out on an excursion to the northern part of the island. Once again Fram is here with Le Boreal!

Comment

Fridays stop will bei Leith/Edinburgh:

Checklist for Cecilia

- empty the postbox
                          - carry out the greeting cards for the friends (to save the stamps)
                          - clean the house
                          - wash and dry the clothes
                          - mow the grass in the garden
                          - cut the roses
                          - check Outlook mails

...return right at time to the ship to head out to Hamburg!!

Comment

Fram is in Leith. Just have a look at this weather!

Tomorrow will be a sea day and Fram is heading to Hamburg.
                            Since yesterday and until Sunday they are celebrating the harbour birthday in Hambur with lots of events, happenings and old ships.

You can watch the scenery on a live - webcam here:

https://www.hamburg.de/livecam-hafen/

a pdf of the sundays program:
                            http://www.hamburg.de/contentblob/39...y-download.pdf

radar hamburg:
                            all ships live in the harbour
                            http://www.hamburg.de/schiffsradar/

Comment

radar hamburg:
                              all ships live in the harbour
                              http://www.hamburg.de/schiffsradar/
                              Freihafen Hamburg,my God what did i hate that port in the beginning of my trucking carreer.
                              after some time i know the rules there about the customs ,and it became my favorite place to come.

Fram is in Leith.
                              yep ,you're right,according the Hamburg schiffsradar, Fram is moored in Leith.
                              best regards Thijs

Comment

Hahahahah Ralf has my morning completely wrong!!!!! I was up and out on deck soon after six to be sure of seeing the pilot come aboard. It was absolutely extraordinary to see everywhere from a different viewpoint as Fram continued up the Firth of Forth. It was like Captain's "speed sightseeing" coming through the lock into Western Harbour as I ran around Frams' decks for fore and aft views!

Then ashore I walked to ALL the familiar spotterplaces that you have become familiar with. Those of you on FB can see a view from the normally restricted area of quay at the cruise terminal building which shows Fram looking like a real hurtigrute with loading bay open and even a fork lift truck bearing provisions!

I had a leisurely lunch on board. That glorious blue sky on the webcam view posted above has now changed to the more usual grey, but I will be out on deck for our departure in about ten minutes or so, en route to Hamburg.

Comment

Working...
                                X