Seagull away a while . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
    .... it has become cost prohibitive as it is high season and the air tickets are way too costly these days. Hope to see you around here before you head off.
    I suppose that the major travel agencies who organise tours such as the one I’m going on are able to obtain bulk discounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
      I suppose that the major travel agencies who organise tours such as the one I’m going on are able to obtain bulk discounts.
      Very likely... I was just looking for a round trip airline ticket. SAS had no available seats for a bonus flight (and with most of my points expired, I did not have enough points to claim a free trip anyway), and their ticket price including those "lovely taxes" fell to somewhere around 11-12.000 kroner. That is way to expensive.

I could naturally save about 500 kroner by choosing Lufthansa, but they are only giving a price to/from Oslo, and they are these days heading out on a strike.

Even Finnair which has long been the only budget alternative, were way too expensive.

I guess airline fuel is more expensive now than before.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Goodness what prices, I see what you mean . . . (I have been looking around at various airline websites in an attempt to help, but unfortunately without any success). With not only Lufthansa but also British Airways threatening strikes, people seem to have gone to the other carriers, and many flights appear very booked up just now, which is keeping prices high. Supply and demand I suppose.

More locally, on the short haul routes I am more familiar with, prices go high this amount of time before travel date, but then sometimes fall at the very last day or two.

I don’t think I have really grasped costs of long haul flights nowadays. It only just occurred to me as a result of thinking about your difficulty, that I have never actually booked a long haul flight directly myself – it has always been as part of some sort of package, for example through Hurtigruten to South America for the Antarctic voyage, and through the company I use when I’ve been to the more far-flung F1 races, who include flights, hotels and race tickets. Similarly the company arranging my forthcoming tour.

Yes, it is annoying when frequent flyer points time out isn’t it . I would never earn enough with SAS for a long haul flight before they timed out – the moment I have enough for travel to Scandinavia I immediately spend them before the earliest ones time out .

Comment

I see exactly what Pakarang & Seagull mean about the prices

Cheapest return flight I could find taking 1 week return from next week is:
          Oslo Gardermoen OSL to Phuket HKT
          Air France + Bangkok Airways + Malaysia Airlines + KLM.com
          27 hours out, 20 hours back
          959.69GBP = approx. 8,642.72 NOK

It is so long since I've flown anywhere that I didn't realise how expensive it could be.

Comment

Thank you both very much for even trying to look for a cheaper ticket.

There is so much I should have done, and it was - and still is - a tiny 'emergency' trip that I had to go on: but not with those kinds of prices. I guess other ways of doing things has to be sought.

There is no way an airline tickets that expensive can be justified for a private person. That is just life.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

More peace and quiet for you all as the no-longer-wooden squawking seagull takes flight !!!
              For the plane spotters, I go to LHR tomorrow 6 March BD55

Then the exciting bit :
              Depart 7 March 11:50 Thai Airways TG911 LHR–BKK arriving 06:10

Return 18 March 21:00 from Chiang Mai to BKK TG121
              Then connect to BKK–LHR TG910 19 March 00:15 arriving 06:20

Comment

Have a very safe flight and a most enchanting holiday in the Land of Smiles!

Make sure to take lots of images, be good and come safe back to us!

Comment

And don't forget to pack the Captain in your bags!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                    And don't forget to pack the Captain in your bags!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    The Captain wishes to travel in First Class or Business....

Comment

ok...please don't forget to pack the Captain in your CARRY ON bag!!!

Comment

Sadly, I've got to get back to driving a ferry again: break time is up!

Comment

My Captain substitute (otherwise known to you all as Sea-Troll!) always travels hand-baggage. So you will be with me in spirit
                          You can come too E in the form of my Pippi Longstocking key ring!
                          Off to the airport right NOW

Comment

Lady E as Pippi Longstocking! That is absolutely hilarious!

I might be Pippi's famous monkey...

Comment

Looks like our Seagull made it!!!

Comment

I wonder if she's had a fun first day in BKK!!!! Hope so!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X