Seagull away a while . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seagull away a while . . .

The Copenhagen connection was no problem and once boarded on the plane for Oslo I actually looked out of the window and saw my luggage going on to the plane! This was fortunate as we'd been told to reclaim checked-in luggage in Oslo and clear customs, as is always the case even when luggage is tagged to a further destination in Norway.

I might have thought it was lost in Copenhagen if I hadn't seen it, because it turned out that sometimes Svalbard is an exception to the rule and indeed the flight to Longyearbyen also left from International rather than Domestic departures in Oslo. Good...not because of the access to duty-free, but because I could go to eat at Yo Sushi!!!!!!!

Arrived in Longyearbyen around midnight ...in the sun. Had a walk this morning...interesting to see what's the same and what's changed since I was here in 1999. Just back at the excellent Spitsbergen Hotel for lunch, after which there is a sightseeing excursion which terminates at the ship!

Comment

I am glad you made it well there including your luggage.
      Our weather prediction for today is 34°C and we are expecting some Thunderstorms for tonight, so the air is quite muggy. Too hot for me in my office under the roof!!
      So enjoy your fresh air at 30 degrees less! Have a good day!
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Is our Seagull among the passengers???? :http://www.vg.no/reise/artikkel.php?artid=10052536

Comment

Back in communication from Honningsvåg where Nordstjernen has arrived from Svalbard. It was marvellous seeing the North Cape from the sea. I'm now looking down from Elvedalen watching Polarlys arrive. Glorious sunny weather.
          Quick summary of the great time in Svalbard is: Made it to 80 North. Saw two polar bears (distant poor photo). Saw walruses (close good photo).

Comment

I see that you were given a really close-up look of the North Cape from the sea. Enjoy the rest of your tip, which will also give you a close look at the new Cruise pier in Aalesund, I believe.

Comment

Hi Cecilia! Lucky you being back in H'våg - look out for my Brother in Law - can't miss him if you see him, big bloke with a Norwegian Elkhound!

Posted a Radio Nordkapp webcam picture of NX going across to bunkers on the Nordstjernen thread earlier - for completeness, here it is again.

Thanks to www.nordkapp.tv
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Great capture Mark, you can look forward to lots of photos in due course...I am not set up for posting them on the go like you did on your holiday!

Went on excursion later this afternoon to see king crabs, alive, prepared for cooking, and then got to eat some! Yummy.

We have just left Honningsvåg and next stop is Tromsø, expected to be around 9am tomorrow morning. Soon it's dinner time and eating again!!!!

Comment

Nordstjernen arrived in Tromsø at 9 this morning. Met up with ArcticGateway who was waiting on the quay to photograph the ship's arrival. The rain did not deter us from making an enjoyable photo walk.

Then we had lunch during which Sea-Troll emerged from my rucksack to be included in the traditional photo! Back at the Hurtigruten quay in perfect timing to see Richard With arrive, we went aboard to take photos looking back at Nordstjernen.

Departure is about an hour from now at 7pm, and the next port of call will be Svolvær.
                  Last edited by Seagull; August 27th, 2012, 21:14.

Comment

Middle of dinner aboard Nordstjernen after leaving Svolvær and the dining room suddenly empties as folks rush out on deck clutching cameras for a triple ship passing with Nordnorge and Trollfjord!!!! (are you reading this Ralf!!!! )

I went on a sea eagle safari today...saw eagle but didn't catch it on camera.
                    Glorious weather
                    Last edited by Seagull; August 27th, 2012, 21:13.

Comment

Can't wait to you getting home and starting to post your always brilliant captures....! I just know that this is something to look forward too, as the sun is disappearing and the colder nights arrive.
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I am taking LOTS OF PHOTOS for you dear pakarang, you can be sure of that!!!...so none of this wishing me home when I have such a nice home aboard NX for a few more days!!!!!

Special good wishes also today to HurtigruteMartin ...inspiring visit to the Petter Dass museum at Alstahaug (a Snøhetta designed building Pakarang) ...and to Princess who will be so proud that I shall visit Vega this afternoon.

...but right now as the ship sails to Vega, lunch is about to be served...

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                          a triple ship passing with Nordnorge and Trollfjord!!!! (are you reading this Ralf!!!! )
                          ...yes i am reading...and waiting....
                          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Nordstjernen arrived at Brekstad just before lunch to a welcome band playing for us. I really enjoyed lunch today as we seemed to have got stocked up with SHRIMPS!!!! Now about to depart on excursion to include visit to Austratt Manor. Departure of ship is scheduled for 19:00

Comment

Actually, as those of you following the ship on AIS will have realised, we moored at Uthaug. The interesting and varied excursion took us from Austrått manor to a tapestry exhibition at Brekstad, and bird watching at Grandefjæra before returning to the ship via a viewpoint towards the Kjeungskjæret lighthouse.

Comment

The seagull is approaching Aalesund:

The Seagull has landed:

There is a time gap between NX and the Island Intervention shearing the wharf with her.

Comment

Working...
                                X