Seagull away a while . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seagull away a while . . .

I guess the images from this journey will make a very interesting thread!!
    But hey...., I'm of those patient ones (mohahahahahaha), so please don't stress about posting when you got time...
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Have fun, Lady C!!!!!!

Comment

Went to my favourite CPH airport restaurant ... probably my last visit there before it gets taken over. And what a nice last time... I got chatting to a guy at the next table who turned out to be working for some contractors who fit out cruise ships and was heading for Bremerhaven. Fred Olsen ship...he'd worked on Boudicca previously...might be Black Watch...we chatted about Discovery and my carpet guys!...but then he had to dash off for his flight before I got round to telling him about CVF...

Comment

Thanks for good wishes E!
          BUT I'm still at CPH!!!!!
          Last nights flight now 08:30 this morning after hotel stay. Technical, not foggy weather reasons!
          Last edited by Seagull; November 22nd, 2011, 06:46. Reason: Foggy WEATHER, not foggy FEATHER!!!!

Comment

Arrived in Bangkok!
            The originally intended plane had a fuel leak, and with no replacement plane until morning, SAS organised an hotel for the night. It was a little time before that was announced...and I was very struck by the way the Thai passengers just accepted the delays. There aren't many seats in the corridor leading to the gates, but there they were sitting in little groups on the floor and chatting away happily, almost as if it was a picnic or party with friends. Whereas the Scandinavians were getting more and more agitated, pacing up and down, and peering anxiously at the departure screens. When the announcement was eventually made and we were told that new boarding cards and hotel and taxi vouchers would be issued, you can imagine which passengers were practically running to get to the queue ticket dispenser! It made me think a lot about aspects of Thai life that pakarang misses.

The flight was pleasant in a Scandinavian sort of way...but I will forever remember the incongruity of being offered a between-meals snack of a Polar Bread Wrap while flying over the Bay of Bengal! Actually the plane itself seemed confused and reluctant to be Asian...the map display captions continued to show distance to Kastrup, local time in Kastrup, and...most confusingly... "eta in Kastrup"! At the point of landing in Bangkok, the main screen which had been showing a photo sequence of Autumn and Winter Scandinavian scenes (another outlet for your talent Pakarang?), triumphantly came up in large letters with the greeting "Welcome to Copenhagen"!!!!

I however am feeling totally Thai, as is my iPad Paddy with his newly aquired Thai sim card, so I am now not restricted to hotels having wifi to keep you in touch with my travels!

Happy St. Cecilia's day to you all!

Comment

As you are there, in the middle of the day, I'm here just out of bed getting ready to start yet another day.
              Nice to hear that you've arrived, and have a great day further on!!

Comment

Good morning Thailand!
                What a confusing flight you seem to had, I hope that you have gotten in phase with the pace over there despite the strange arrival.
                And of course, I hope you had a great St Cecilia day!

Comment

I had a great St.Cecilia's Day...and yes Tommi, I have instantly adapted to the pace of life here. Now I took some photos yesterday which I really ought to hide away for some future "What place is this". But when I read in the Tromsø thread what Pakarang was feeling about airports, I just have to mention this now...
                  The tiny airport at Sukhothai must surely be the loveliest and prettiest in the world...just wait till you see the photos!

Today has also been special. Ever since I saw pakarang's images of Wat Si Chum I have wanted to go there...and today I did!

Comment

My experiences here over the last three days have been so special, so emotional...spiritual even...in so many ways that I can't really manage to write about it here. I know it's very much work shift for our Captain too, so even for him... Well just to say when you eventually get to read this Pakarang....after my visit to Si Chum, I took what felt like a pilgrimage to Phitsanulok...and it was beyond words....just as you hoped it would be for me...

...and then the day after I made a Thai friend, and met all her friends, and joined their special celebrations and signed a birthday book for the King, and spent the whole day with the local community, and prayed with them.

Comment

So very many experiences that in some ways time actually seems to have slowed down and the events mentioned in the last post seem absolutely AGES ago! I haven't even reached mentioning the conference itself here, though I did just mention on Facebook (thinking that might reach more of Jan-Olav's Thai friends than might read about it here on CVF) that I felt so greatly honoured to have been present when H.R.H. Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn so enthusiastically and graciously presided over the opening in Khorat.

Since then there has been lots of hard work and lots of science, but also lots of conviviality and lots of FUN! (J-O your next camera-on-tripod self-photo assignment is to show me how much your fingers bend backwards so that I can assess your suitability for Thai dancing!!!!!....I am sure you can manage the footwork just fine!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Then came the excursion north in Isan to Kalasin and experiencing the countryside life on the way...and the fossil sites with work in progress, as well as the communication of earlier work to the general public in the superb museums...and seeing the happy faces of the local children visiting these exhibits! Then in Khon Kaen when I actually had a free few hours in an amazing temple, there was even a dinosaur depicted in the stone floor there.

Now I'm in Bangkok! Things working out rather differently than expected...let me just say for now that there will be quite a few photos in the Hotel Room Views thread.

Guess who doesn't want to go home!!!!!!!!!

Comment

..let me just say for now that there will be quite a few photos in the Hotel Room Views thread.
                        And from the previous CVF-hurtigrute-cruise, and from the rest of what seems to be your interesting trip to Thailand.
                        Guess who's going to use Christmas for photo editing?

Enjoy, Cecilia..., and may you have a safe return!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                          ...Guess who doesn't want to go home!!!!!!!!!
                          My absolute biggest fear if going back for a vacation....
                          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                          Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                          Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

for a vacation....
                            Aha...., finally a confirmation!!!
                            I was so curious as to your tour back to Thailand. You wrote in a way so that I was left with the impression that you would say good-bye for good to Norway, but here you use the word 'vacation' yourself...
                            I can not decide what people should or should not do with their lives, but now I'm fairly satisfied...
                            Last edited by Sterkoder; December 6th, 2011, 16:52.

Comment

Well, it would be a "vacation" first, before the final move.... (and I say final, because, I won't be going back to Norway again if/once I have gone back to Thailand).

I will try to come with some further ... mmmm.... clarification in the Captains Quarters: I'm currently writing on a blog entry that is due some time this week.
                              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                              Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                              Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I’m back in Edinburgh….well temporarily as I head south to England (!) (for another palaeontology conference!!) in just a weeks time…only just long enough to unpack, do laundry, repack for a colder climate, put photos on computer, reformat memory cards, recharge batteries…and away I go.

There will no doubt be other demands on the days…but at least D actually went food shopping for himself last week. More interestingly, he photographed a plane…no not me landing in EDI, but a couple of celebrities who are the talk of the town at the moment…pandas from China arriving at Edinburgh Zoo! This is seemingly far more than new animals for the zoo, more like a matter of national economic and diplomatic importance. Well, as it will be over Christmas before I start getting photos posted for all my away time, here’s some panda stuff to distract you meanwhile!

Comment

Working...
                                X