• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pakarang
    started a topic "This is your Captain speaking..... "

"This is your Captain speaking..... "

Captain's Announcement.

Dear friends and acquaintances,

Here I am! (- and I have a lot of things to share).

Please accept my most sincere apologies for not having had time to be here as much as I was 5-6 years ago. I have not abandoned the CVF, as many people love to believe. For many, it is no secret that I have spent an astonishing amount of hours "behind the scenes" lately. We have a lot of difficult bugs showing up, and it has been difficult to find them, and then correct them.

The main reason why it is so difficult is not a single reason, but a whole lot of reasons. Firstly, programming the forum software is a little bit out of my field, and I have had to study computer-programming to be able to find out how to do things. Secondly, we are running version 4.x.x. which is an older version of the software. Because we are running an older version, they do not provide software updates for it any longer.

Much more about the forum soon. We have some really serious decisions to make together - and I will try to convey very soon correctly in the appropriate thread.

I came home from a 3-weeks holiday to Thailand in the end of July, and since I came back, I have literally been working on the ferry day and night. I have not only done my own shifts, but also a lot of extra watches. I'm actually now in my 5th week of work on the fjord. Energy after a 14-hours day on the ferry is non-existent when I arrive home for a handful hours of rest. Please understand that my work is not a 9-4 job, but more a 04:00 - 22:45 job - not mentioning the long night-shifts. My work on the ferry has changed (I'm still a Captain, but a lot of the crew have resigned and been replaced).

But, I know, work is not an excuse either.

I will also tell you all more about my life-changing holiday to Thailand at a later time, when pictures are ready and the cold autumn days are here. In the meanwhile, please do enjoy this non-private video from my trip: http://www.vimeo.com/captainsvoyage/onceuponatime

Since I got back from Thailand, my big-brother also suddenly passed away in his sleep, just weeks before his 44th birthday. Like my late mother in 2007, my brother also succumbed to cancer - a disease more and more people are having to face. Cancer is a most horrible disease, and it seems as if more and more people are fighting this hard battle.

Naturally, it has been a really hard time for not only me, but also for my entire family and a lot of his good friends and supporters. Arranging all the funeral rites and the funeral itself took most of my free time when I had a few hours off the ship. His passing has made me realise that I have found a lot of peace in my own life the past year, and particularly since the start of 2013, when I decided to make this the best year ever.

As a part of my promise to make this a good year, I have decided to "clean up my life" and concentrate more on the things that mean the most to me. Sadly, my interest in ships, shipping and Hurtigruten has declined as it seems like everybody now claim to be an expert in these fields.

Rest assured, my interest within photography is still growing strong, much due to the everlasting and incredible support by my Thai friends. My field within photography has however shifted, from ships to cityscapes, portraits and fashion photography.

Within the term "clean up my life" you will also find that I'm trying to throw out a lot of the things I have collected through my life - including a large Hurtigruten collection of collectibles and books. Less clutter and more time to concentrate on the important things. And, it brings in some highly needed cash for new future projects.

I'm also not so much active on FB any longer… and what a time-saver that has become! After getting off the messy, over-loaded and not-essential information found on FB, I have more time to do other (important?) things. I have however made a new account, but it's purely in Thai and to keep in touch with my ever-growing friendships in Thailand.

BTW, I'm heading back to Thailand again from October 6th to 27th. More about THAT later. ;-)

And yes, a close friend noticed I have lost a lot of weight… yes, thank you, I have. Since December last year when I made a promise to live the rest of my life with great passion and a smile, I have shredded a wonderful 15 kg. I'm pressing time in at the gym several times a week, and by doing that, I'm fighting my own medical challenges with a whole lot greater physique. I can scratch my own back now!

mmmmm…. I apologise sincerely for this most messy post, from subject to subject, but I just felt like I had to let you all know what is going on and that I'm still here. I will be impressed if anyone actually took time to read it all.

I hope to see you all around again, and that you will continue to follow me and the forum on new exiting journeys in the years ahead.

I would like to say this in closing, and please do not take it lightly. Please do try to understand what I'm trying to convey, and please make sure you take a moment to contemplate on life itself. Life is really precious, and time is running.

To the most dearest friends that have shown me tremendous support and care in the very though months that have passed, I would like to end by thanking you all warmly from the bottom of my heart.

• wherrygirl
    replied
    Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
    I'm afraid I don't have time to try to fix this at the moment (like J-O I also have more than one job), and don't really want to do anything further with the system knowing what it's done in the past to destroy data etc.

If anyone else has the background knowledge to take on the management of the software of the system that may be more appropriate, I think I've run out of 'go'.
    Mark, you have done wonders with all the work invoved in the upgrade and sorting out the problems both before and after. We all owe you a great debt of gratitude. To me you were definitely Mr. Fixit and I'm sure the other members agree. You being there wiped out the frustration members felt went things went wrong because we knew it wouldn't be long before everything was once more OK.
    Let's hope another of our members will take the load off your shoulders and carry on with the good work.
    It's needed.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    It's indeed quite sad to see our dear family member leaving, but I also need to respect his wishes.

He has been an incredible asset to all of us, and his beautiful images from the north has been a blessing and will be deeply missed for a very long time.

With this, if he ever pops by us, and I have said it personally before: Thank you very much for your contributions, time, engagement, brilliant photographs and all those moments of pleasure! Thank you.

Needless to say, if you ever come to my part of Norway: you are more than welcome, and I'd love to offer you a delightful Asian lunch/dinner!

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    commented on 's reply
    though it's his wish to remove al his posts, ithink it's better not to do that.
    for the simple reason that conversasions which he was included ,his replies are gone and the conversations about vessels or whatsever went to nothing.

member 1 says blablabla
    member 2 says reacts on that
    Bengt replies with vessel name became …...and went to ..
    member 1 says is that so?
    member 2 says i never you that.

when you remove bengt his reply it become;
    member 1 says blablabla
    member 2 says reacts on that
    member 1 says is that so?
    member 2 says i never you that.

other members or guest think ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????
    the conversion issnt a conversation anymore.

my option is to let him stand as guest ,everything still stands for reactions,it still be a readable theread.
    and nobody knows who placed those posts.

the tromso thread wil stay,but started by guest

i believe the same thing happend when Lady E left us,the threads are still there,but started by guest

• ombugge
    commented on 's reply
    That is a pity. I wonder why he had to remove all his pictures and posts? They are totally gone, with the post count adjusted as if they never existed.
    But at least there isn't all the post with a "No longer available" sign and text telling you what should have been there.
    If you look in Bengt, know that you are missed.

• PoloUK
    replied
    Hi all - I don't know the background behind this, but Bengt (Azimut) has decided to leave us. Jan Olav asked me to carry out Bengt's requests to remove his posts from the system. I don't believe that the system has let me do that, although Azimut no longer appears by name, I think his posts probably still exist as 'Guest'. I certainly think that threads that Bengt created - This is Tromsø being the main one - will have also automatically been removed.

I'm afraid I don't have time to try to fix this at the moment (like J-O I also have more than one job), and don't really want to do anything further with the system knowing what it's done in the past to destroy data etc.

If anyone else has the background knowledge to take on the management of the software of the system that may be more appropriate, I think I've run out of 'go'.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Thanks for the input, everybody!

Highly appreciated.

You have all made some really great points to consider.

I was away from Facebook for a very long time - and I'm struggling to find my way back there. As mentioned, it has advantages but also a lot of drawbacks.

I also agree with nari.... the online debating and bickering is ..... ehhh... a total waste of time spent most of the time.

From what I remember before, it was relatively "easy" to browse the feed, but now I find it really time-consuming.... and from what I understand, algorithm set up lets you only see posts of people you interact with. A lot of posts are therefore "hidden" from normal feed.

I'll think about this for a couple of days. At the moment, I like CVF... because I strongly feel we have a good family-connection here, no bickering and I feel comfortable and happy to have you all here.

Over the many years, my life would have been so empty if I didn't have CVF.... and we've been online for sooooo many years!

Leave a comment:

• nari
    commented on 's reply
    Facebook has some advantages when one gets to know a few people who are regulars - otherwise it keeps me in touch with stray relatives around the Pacific. But it has its drawbacks - the online debating and occasional bickering along with the short and rather pointless posts gets annoying after a a while; lots of spelling booboos.

• ombugge
    replied
    I must admit I don't get to your blog unless you (or Seagull) link to it here on CVF.
    Since I generally read, (or at least check) every post here, I would find it much easier to have it right here on CVF.
    BTW; I have joined Facebook eventually, but I'm not too fond of that format and the short posts that appears to be the "rule" there.
    I only look at our Family group on Messenger and a couple of maritime type groups.

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    I would appreciate to see you in the forum. I come to your blog only, when i get the info in the forum. I guess the forum is, where we all want to have as much traffic as possible.
    So if you want to be on Facebook also, just set a link to the forum, if there is something new. That can interest more people to visit the forum and to become a member.

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    commented on 's reply
    Ok, as suggested, I might have misunderstood a thing or two. In the clearity of Seagulls light here, I'd go for the bLOG on CVF forum, no sweat :-)

• Seagull
    replied
    My vote is for pakarang's possibility #1 - posting the thread on CVF.

After reading Sterkoder’s post, I'm immediately wondering if there might be some ambiguity or misunderstanding about that option. I understood pakarang’s "this thread (to be my bLOG" to mean that
    the blog entries would in future appear in the cvf forum itself on www.captainsvoyage-forum.com, and moreover right here in this thread "This is your Captain speaking" (rather than utilising the apparent BLOGS feature of our forum software that appears as a tab in the blue bar next to FORUMS)

Very different than as at present where the bLOG is accessed via the separate url, www.captainsvoyage.com, and then requires clicking on the tab "my bLOG" (and separately on "travel bLOG").

So Sterkoder, you would no longer have to remember to make a separate navigation to the blog when surfing on CVF forum - pakarang's blog activity would appear right there in "New Topics" (and also "Latest Activity" if it hadn't dropped off the end of more recent posts in that side bar). It seems like the more convenient "lazy option"!

As for pakarang's possibility #2, a Facebook blog-page
    Have any of you actually come across anyone's Faceblog blog ???
    It seems to me that this was something that FB had introduced way back and which had never really caught on.
    I tried to find out more about it last night, but was not encouraged.
    https://www.wikihow.com/Blog-on-Facebook

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied
    I don't know of the future for Facebook, obviously, and have no idea about their long term thoughts, or what's behind the next corner...., that said, and a personal thought;
    I'd rather see you go to a Facebook blog-page. Why? Egocentric and strictly personal, I "live" on Facebook and I guess it would be much easier (for me) to follow your bLOG, when I'm already there.
    As it is today, maybe I'm lazy, I have to remember to click into your bLOG when I'm finished with the surfing on Facebook and CVF forum.
    To be honest, I'm not good enough to remember that every week...., sorry...

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    I have a question that I would like your opinions on.... and it's about my bLOG.

Updating it and keeping it alive on CaptainsVoyage.com is a very time-consuming task. I have therefore been thinking about moving all my future posts to either:

1) this thread (to be my bLOG)

or

2) a Facebook blog-page...

What do you think would be the smartest thing for me to do?

Love to hear your opinions on this.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Thank you Ralf and Seagull for keeping a track on me: nothing is a secret anymore. It's impossible to just disappear for me. hahahahaha

Yes, I missed Mongkhut by little more than a day, and I still haven't decided if I'm sad about it or not. I got to see the devastation though.... this was no small typhoon judging by the mess all around the city, and the transfer from airport.

And yes, I was in a private pool villa in Pranburi for a couple of days - trying my best at evading being seen, like the Kardashians.

More later - I have so much to see, do , write and upload. Like I ever get to finish anything at all.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X