No announcement yet.

"This is your Captain speaking..... "

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually had to go and google "cascading conkers".....

There is something threatening us almost around any corner - in the wrong places, it's even deadly to breathe!

I agree with ombugge - the only two guaranteed things with life is 1) there is a beginning and 2) there is an end! Perhaps in the future, eternal life will be possible, but not yet!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

It's the first of May, and although I didn't climb up Edinburgh's mountain-in-the-city for the sunrise and morning dew (like I did for you in those years of 365's), I WAS thinking about you and your travels tomorrow.

But, as invariably happens, I've probably misjudged your last login here, (and am certainly too late to comment on even a day-old bLOG post without being totally sure you'd ever see it.)

Anyway, whenever you do read this here, know you are/were thought about and wished safe journey and successful and happy travels. I guess I've guessed the right livery!!!!!!!!

Yeap ...definitely correct!!!!! ;-)
      Last edited by Seagull; May 18th, 2017, 11:40.

Comment

Yes, I'm back from Thailand (for a short while).

".....Even before I got back from Thailand, and since I landed back on Norwegian soil nearly three weeks ago, I have been working on this bLOG entry. Within those three weeks after returning, I also had to fit in 15 days of long shifts on board my ship, including an extra day for painting and maintenance. With a generous dose of doubt and a lot of re-writing, I’m finally somewhat ......." >>>

http://www.captainsvoyage.com/its-a-...-thailand.html

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I'm trying to give some opinion and feedback to Captain as he asked in his blog - toss some thoughts around on the various issues he mentions - but without taking 3-weeks-plus over it!
          So please excuse my rather random, rambling and inarticulate thoughts.

Cost of the forum:-
          I think this is the least important issue.
          It actually rather surprised me the last couple of years that it didn't cost more. Comparing with the cost of, let's say, many other 'forms of entertainment' one might enjoy in the course of a year, concerts, a short break away in a hotel, meals out etc., it starts to seem value for money. (Over the years the 'true value' of CVF and all that's come about in my life as a result is of course incalculable and priceless, and others have expressed similar sentiments - but that's not what we a’re talking about here.)

Thinking about things that seem expensive to me, I spend hardly anything on clothes, have just three pairs of shoes, haven't been to a hairdresser since Captain's in Bangkok in 2010, and seem to have downsized on photo gear without any of you noticing! Unlike most of us I don't have family to consider financially, and I don't run a car. I seem to be the second poster here by number (though for sure not in quality) of posts, and I have not earned my keep like our Captain and Mark with burdensome administration. So I can't agree with Captain’s words about forum donations "A part of me don't think it is fair to these few, truly fantastic members, or to me, that the forum is run this way." IF you truly want the forum to continue, you only have to send me the bill, Captain.

Actually is there any alternative? - advertising? NOT:-
          And not because we'd prefer an advertising-free zone. It seems to me totally naïve to think any organisation would be the slightest bit interested in advertising on the forum especially with so few active members (and, given the idiosyncrasies of the software, I'm not sure we really have meaningful data on 'guest' traffic.) Wouldn't you feel a commitment to the advertisers and loss of control to some extent if your priorities suddenly changed?

BUT anyway…
          Captain has mixed feelings about continuing the forum, and there is a part of me that feels the same way.
          I don't even have to factor in any personal stuff and current demands on my time, or my own inadequacies in writing and quick communication.

It's simply this:- that I’ve noticed in the last few years I no longer feel able to recommend the forum to ship-interested folk I've encountered, whether elsewhere online or in person in port or aboard cruises.

We all realise that the current forum software which a sequence of circumstances have brought us to is outdated, but the remaining regular posters have become adept at coping with its eccentricities, and it's actually rather hard to see the CVF experience with newcomers' eyes. New hurdles emerge from time to time. (Since a recent update of Firefox I find even logging in is a battle clicking around pop up warnings about insecurity, which would be discouraging to a new member.) And the way photo-sharing sites have evolved is a hurdle and added disincentive to many.

If forums are out of fashion, how about blogs?
          Captain - I've always thought of and enjoyed your blog as 'the new Main Page' and something within CaptainsVoyage that you enjoy writing. Numbers of likes, comments, and followers aren't everything.

Many others' blogs do irritate me especially when they come across as only 'attention-seeking', yet offer no opportunity to like, comment or discuss. You often end by asking the opinion of your readers, and it is unfortunate that there has never really been a satisfactory platform or software in this respect. I liked Disqus when it was still working correctly, but it's just another thing that the reader has to be motivated enough to join up to. Facebook Comments Plugin therefore seemed an improvement, being simpler for more readers. But now that you are not logging in to Facebook you don't get notifications that someone has commented. I have stubbornly continued to make the effort of commenting, but it does sometimes feel effort wasted, especially when commenting on blog posts more than a few days old.

Now I don't get notifications of your blog posts I have to check regularly. Most folk probably don't. That is why I once mentioned 'regularity' of posting as being important to retain followers. I just meant huge three or four week gaps in posting.
          But "daily updates to Captain’s bLOG at a specific time every day". OMG!!!! Have you forgotten what it was like to even just take and post a photo every day for two years when we did those 365's???? I feel exhausted even thinking about it, because although I will for sure read every word you write, I know I am not up to communicating my interest and appreciation to anywhere near the extent I would wish.

When you say "according to blogging-professionals, the regular schedule is apparently really important", I think this remark is more applicable to a completely different kind of blog such as those which primarily serve to advertise small businesses. There are also, apparently, blogs that are churned out to engage with a readership and make some money for the blogger through various income streams. Many 'sponsored posts' that increasingly clutter up social media link to those kinds of blogs, written in an irritatingly banal 'lifestyle' style of prose. Yuk.

You decide Captain...
          In whatever direction you decide to steer your ship I hope there will always be a place for me there amongst your 'crew' on the journey, and that you know, as ever, that you have my love and support.

Comment

Anything but random, rambling and inarticulate - your post is well-considered and very well written Cecilia.

I have nothing significant to add. Just a couple of thoughts.

Re software and hosting - as mentioned a few times before, we can change to the latest software, it's something we could do over a weekend if we planned what we were doing, just need a bit of help from the web hosts to back up and create new databases. We can't change to an alternative software solution because the vBulletin 5 upgrade rewrote the data format in a way that makes that impossible (happy to be proven wrong). We could also move the hosting to a cheaper webhost (the independent UK one I use is 30% cheaper per month for a completely unlimited service for up to ten websites). This could potentially allow us to load photos onto the website directly, rather than linking to Photobucket or the like. But as Cecilia suggests, I don't think that the software, platform or hosting are the issue.

Re blog - again absolutely agree with Cecilia - a regular schedule is important for a very different type of blog, something like this needs to be something done when the author wants to share something. That may mean gaps of days or even weeks. If it becomes a routine 'must do', it will lose all its fun.

To a large extent perhaps time just moves on and the world changes - and of course change is always unsettling and uncomfortable.

Absolutely as Cecilia says - whatever you choose J-O, you have my support too.
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I would be sad to see CVF go, even if there are less and less traffic here. I have tried to post something once in a while, but realize that I have not been as active as before lately.
              A little annual contribution from each of the regular users to cover the annual fee should not be a problem, but we probably need to be reminded when that is needed.

I agree that the forum need an update to it's platform to stay relevant. I don't know if the one I suggested in another thread could be a solution: http://www.discourse.org/ It says; "Discourse is 100% free, open source software. Forever". (Unless it is "managed", whatever that means)
              Another forum I participate on that was also on Bulletin and had falling participation because of problems, have switched to Discourse, which appears to be working well.
              I find it relatively easy to use, once you get used to it and haven't heard any complains from other forum users either since the switch, which went fairly smoothly.

It allow picture posting directly from your computer, which is an advantage.

Comment

Totally agree with Cecilia, also with Mark when he express the support to you whatever you do and ombugge when he would like to have the opportunity to post pictures directly from the pc/mac to the forum. As it is today, it's more like a job to post pictures and one really has to find time and sit down to do it.

Anyway...., my concern is this: What will happen to all the threads with all the info if our captain decide to ditch the forum?

Remember, or rather think about, what members has contributed with to CVF over the years. The time spent to create something for all of the members around the world to enjoy.
                It would be sad to see all this just....vanish.

I have nothing more to say about the subject, because I belive Cecilia here says it all.
                "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Really sorry Ombugge, but as I said above, when vBulletin changed to version 5, they changed the data structure for new posts so that it's no longer possible to migrate to any other platform but theirs without losing those new ones. Until someone comes up with a vB5 import, we can't move to something different. If you search vB5 and Discourse, you'll see lots of people having the same trouble. Search vB5 and phpBB and you'll see the same. Lots of near misses, but I can't find any description of it being achieved. I'm more than happy to be proved wrong though.

As I think you know, I have a hidden and password protected version of the forum up to the point of the migration to vB5 running on a free forum software hosted on my website to prove that the vB4 import was possible.

Also - posting directly to the forum isn't a limitation of our software, that is to do with the cost of hosting data on the current provider.

I'd happily host the forum on my own provider - effectively for free, since the service I pay for allows me to have up to ten sites (I only currently have 8), and unlimited storage and bandwidth - but we'd still have the same platform problems with vB5 and having to pay for it - although we could of course upgrade to the latest version, as we could here.

I don't think really it's a matter of the mechanics, I think it's all to do with the fact that we all totally support J-O with whatever he chooses to do with this in the future.
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• ombugge
                    ombugge commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Mark.
                    As you probably know I'm not well versed in the workings of Forums and Blogs hosting sites. All I know is that another Forum moved from vBulletin to Discourse without apparent problems. (Maybe from vB4??)

If vB6 is more costly, I don't think the problems with vB5 is so grave that we cannot live with it,

As Sterkoder said, there are a lot of things posted on this Forum that would be lost forever if it is just discontinued. I have been a member here since 2009 and major poster, with over 13,000 posts to my name. Some of it drivel and of little importance, but some I could not even hope to recreate, or even copy and save in a few hours or days.

I'm willing to pay a small share of the cost to maintain status quo, if other regular users do the same. Even if the number of regulars and number of post per day has become miniscule, at least the Forum would be there for the records. Maybe I could get the time to copy over the more interesting bits to CDs, memory sticks, or an external hard drive.

In my slightly confused and busy life I'm not able to contribute to the forum as back in those days. And I think that the decrease of the general activity was greatly caused by the bad release of the vBulletin software.
                  I really don't have so many opinions to add to those that you all have already expressed, the saddest part would be to loose all the content that we've created past the years, it's partly almost like a family album.

Comment

Quote "the saddest part would be to loose all the content that we've created past the years, it's partly almost like a family album. End Quote

My point exactly.
                    Just think about what CVF has ment for some of us, what we've shared, who we met, only because of CVF.
                    I've met people who I would never knew existed if it weren't for CVF. CVF has made the world smaller.
                    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

First of all, let me express my most sincere thank you for taking time to voice your opinions about the forum. I should perhaps move the discussion over to it's appropriate thread... I'll have a go at it hopefully tomorrow.

Secondly, I would like you all to understand that this is one of the most difficult descisions I have had to make in a while, and a descision I would not like to make also. Closing the forum is such a..... thing I do not want to do....

But, as we all obvisouly think and understand.... there is several issues here.

Let me try to reply to some of your opinions in the posts while I was away in the Netherlands this week.

Lady C--- thank you so much for your valuable opinions. I see that we have a very similar take on the situation and that I feel is great.

I understand the opinions on the outdated software we have - and the costs involved. The majority of the cost for us at the moment is the webhotel in which the whole forum resides. We use a company in Bergen, Norway, for this. The bill I think will be due by the end of July, and the current package is in the vicinity of 2.800 NOK/year including the fees for our web-adress for a year.

I totally agree with Sterkoder when he also means that it would be a disaster if everything we have created vanishes. We have created a great place with tons of information - maybe not top quality in every possible way, but there is a LOT of expertise, information and what not. When someone searches for example google for a particular subject, CaptainsVoyage Forum quite frequently comes up with results high on the list..... that is worth a LOT.

I'm afraid if we move to another platform, that this high google-ranking might also be lost?

My suggestion is as follows.....:

If my extremely valuable Administrator is up for it - let's upgrade the forum platform to latest version. We may be down for a couple of days, but hopefully, that will sort out a lot of the problems which we currently experience.

I totally agree with Lady C's reasonable comment above about new users being scared away.

The important when upgrading our forum to latest version, is that we have to commit ourselves for at least another year of usage, and that we have to quickly find a way to cover our expences for the next year, including the upgrade.

Comment

Sounds like a plan J-O.

I'm on the road until early next month - can we catch up then?

Those web hosting costs seem expensive. Is there a limit on the amount of disk space we can use with that? One of the common complaints seems to be that we have to link via Photobucket or similar, but many of the UK hosts don't charge for webspace, and so we could store photos on the forum, not link to them. I'm quite happy to let you host on my account for free, but appreciate your other sites are probably with Webhuset, and you'd probably like to 'own' the hosting.

Just to reiterate - we do have a complete copy of CVF available up until August 2013. It's hidden behind a password, and on different software, but we should never lose CVF up until that point.
                        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

That sounds excellent, Mark!

I will be travelling / commuting between Thailand and Norway, starting again in August and until May/June next year.

My next shift on the ferry will be from Monday 26th of June till Tuesday 11 of July. So from 11th of July til August 1st we should be able to do something.

As I mentioned in a private message to Lady C, I will also try negotiating the fees with Webhuset on Monday. The bill should arrive by beginning of July, and would be due around 20th of July if I remember correctly. I will make contact with them and see what we can come up with.

Comment

Thank you very much for reading my Captains bLOG, and thank you Lady C for your recent comments.

Just to advertise new entries, here are some new one's of today (some further entries will be posted later this afternoon):

http://captainsvoyage.com/its-a-captains-life---one/

Comment

My passion for flags and uniforms:

Ever since I was a much younger boy (than right now), I have had a profound....

http://www.captainsvoyage.com/its-a-...flags-and.html

Comment

Working...
                              X