X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throwback Thursday - week 31/2018

http://www.captainsvoyage.com/its-a-...--week-13.html
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Here is the first of several BIG NEWS about my (new) life:

http://www.captainsvoyage.com/its-a-...e-of-them.html

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I’m in awe and bow my head in deep respect.
        Commander of SDS Hansteen..., wow.
        I guess a big CONGRATULATION is in order!
        Wish I could be there to see, when you took her to sea from Brattøra.
        That is the nearest neighbour to my daughters new appartement in Trondheim, so I will surely be visiting from time to time.
        Will Brattørkaia be Hansteens permanent «home»?
        Last edited by Sterkoder; August 3rd, 2018, 13:18.
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Congratulations indeed, Jan-Olav. What a wonderful vessel to command, and such a contrast to what you are used to.
          Here's to happy and successful journeys in the HDS Hansteen.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Hooray!! Enjoy your days on the steamer and i wish you a lot of further commands on this and other historical ships.
            Now you will become a captain-universal: Able to sail powered by oars, wind, steam, petrol, CNG and soon even electricity!!
            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Now that's amazing. I'm sure that you will have a lot of nice voyages with that vessel.
              Will you still stay "full time" on the Korsfjord too?

Comment

Dear CVF family, As some of you may have realised, I have made a VERY spontaneous trip to Norway! I didn’'t even have time to tell you in “Seagull away a while”; In any case my rexcuse for being here was just a bit hush hush until Captain posted in his blog last night. I had sort of sussed things out, so am now a kind of “Hansteen groupie” popping up unexpectedly. Captain didn't know until he spotted me when the ship relocated in Trondheim yesterday. YES I have photos! This morning I decided to head for Lada and got a photo with Hansteen and the departing 10 o’clock hurtigrute which some of you may have already seen, but of course will be posted on CVF when I get back to Scotland (please allow delay, as I return for a D hospital day on Tuesday.)

I am now in Levanger where the Hansteen will arrive in about half an hour. But it’'s not at all obvious where exactly she’ will moor at “Dampskipbrygga” as advertised. I’ am right next to this at a restaurant terrace and there are lots of small boats around. But it does have a view of a more distant quay, farther along than even the ferry dock. So I’ will just wait and see what happens! I haven't had such an exciting time since dashing around Norway when Jan-Olav brought Korsfjord from Poland!

I’ am in total admiration of Jan-Olav's achievements, and so thrilled to read all your responses to his latest news.
                Last edited by Seagull; August 8th, 2018, 10:52. Reason: ...correcting typos!

Comment

Exciting update! I could see that Hansteen had moored beyond the ferry terminal, and walked round. Saw Jan- Olav who invited me onboard and, despite his very long and busy day, showed me around the ship ...including the engine room! What a privilege.
                  Last edited by Seagull; August 8th, 2018, 10:56.

Comment

congratulation with your new vessel to command.
                    lots of fun with her and great voyages
                    best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                      Exciting update!
                      UPDATE of this update! ...the following day on Ytterøy was utterly magical! My instincts proved oh so rewarding - I had to plan the various transport possibilities meticulously, but really did not know until the last spontaneous instant what I would decide to do! This is happiness!

Naturally I saw the Hansteen back safely to harbour at Brattøra on Sunday, before I had so reluctantly to return to Edinburgh.
                      My thoughts remain in Trondheim today for Jan-Olav's next big endeavour

Comment

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback om my veteranship command... never thought that so many would come out and notice it, it was an absolutely wonderful experience!

I guess you all now got to learn about the second surprise, in due time before my THIRD surprise!

Comment

PS: I'm still full-time on Korsfjord as well, in addition to the two other ferries when needed...

Comment

I'm not sure how many actually READ my bLOG, but it has been updated with two new posts: one of them being the "double throwback Thursday":

http://www.captainsvoyage.com/its-a-...-thursday.html

Comment

Comment on bLOG update "Double Throwback Thursday"
                              How super to be treated to a double Throwback Thursday! And the notion of a 'lucky dip' into your shoeboxes makes me smile as I visualise you doing this
                              YES, Captain, I DO want to see old photographs.
                              I was especially pleased at the appropriateness of Nordkapp getting picked as I visited her so recently in port in Trondheim. I don't actually recollect seeing photos of her construction in anything like this detail before, if at all. It's a moment in time you captured; a great image which somehow cheers me up with its optimism. The fitting of Karl Erik Harr's masterpiece of an interior was still in the future, and I can forget for a while about what has happened to that in recent times. ( I would have liked her to remain as she was to become the next 'nostalgia ship' representing her generation when Lofoten has to retire.)

Your memories of Norwegian Star feel more familiar from what we used to call your 'Main Page'. even though I have only seen the ship myself as Albatros.
                              Last edited by Seagull; August 17th, 2018, 16:55. Reason: ...added title of what I was commenting on, before making a further blog comment!

Comment

Comment on bLOG update of 2018-Aug-17: "The third surprise"

My short answers to your blue question prompts are Yes …and then at the end no, no and no!
                                The yes was just that I have seen your past travel experiences, but I'm sure you know that!

So, turning to Hong Kong, no I have never been there.
                                Nor have I ever flown SAS long haul Business, and the one time I did fly SAS long haul in any class wasn't recently.

It was an economy flight CPH to BKK in the year 2011, my second trip to Thailand.
                                With the departure of the flight first delayed and then cancelled due to technical reasons and lack of a replacement aircraft, accommodation was provided at a nearby hotel. These things happen, and I don't think was responsible for my lack of enthusiasm for the flight next day. It was just uninspiring and largely unmemorable; the thing I do remember was that the map display thing seemed to want to tell me times and distances from CPH rather than BKK almost as if travelling in the opposite direction, and the destination video, or rather a series of pictures, that came up automatically prior to landing featured winter Scandinavian images which weren't anyway near as good as what you Captain could have provided them with. I didn't feel I'd gone anywhere until I stepped out into the familiar heat and scents and sounds of Bangkok!

Subsequently SAS changed routes within Star Alliance and the flights to Thailand were with Thai Airways. Although my next flight with them in economy was not quite so good as the first had been, I think they were just starting to turn things around after a difficult period. More recently flying in long haul Business with Thai has been a delight, and although I had one great business flight and one not quite so good one with Singapore Airways to compare it with, the great was entirely due to the exceptional cabin crew - a particular individual and as a team. But in general I would choose Thai for business long haul to BKK. (Love the Thai samrab and other aspects of their new service concept in Business!). Thai do need to not be changing aircraft type at the last minute on the LHR-BKK route though.

But if I were to go to Hong Kong I would have the possibility to experience SAS Business long haul, and what now interests me in doing that was my short haul international flight from ARN to EDI last week in SAS Plus. From the attentive service to the imaginative food I could almost believe this was long haul Business or even First.

I'm not sure if I'd fall in love with Hong Kong as a city the way I feel about Bangkok. I would surely enjoy it though, and as a British person I'd be more likely comparing it with Singapore but in a more recent context in history (and perhaps not without a personal prejudice regarding Hong Kong and China, which I really ought to have consigned to the past long ago).

Comment

Working...
                                X