Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "This is your Captain speaking..... "

Captain's Announcement.

Dear friends and acquaintances,

Here I am! (- and I have a lot of things to share).

Please accept my most sincere apologies for not having had time to be here as much as I was 5-6 years ago. I have not abandoned the CVF, as many people love to believe. For many, it is no secret that I have spent an astonishing amount of hours "behind the scenes" lately. We have a lot of difficult bugs showing up, and it has been difficult to find them, and then correct them.

The main reason why it is so difficult is not a single reason, but a whole lot of reasons. Firstly, programming the forum software is a little bit out of my field, and I have had to study computer-programming to be able to find out how to do things. Secondly, we are running version 4.x.x. which is an older version of the software. Because we are running an older version, they do not provide software updates for it any longer.

Much more about the forum soon. We have some really serious decisions to make together - and I will try to convey very soon correctly in the appropriate thread.

I came home from a 3-weeks holiday to Thailand in the end of July, and since I came back, I have literally been working on the ferry day and night. I have not only done my own shifts, but also a lot of extra watches. I'm actually now in my 5th week of work on the fjord. Energy after a 14-hours day on the ferry is non-existent when I arrive home for a handful hours of rest. Please understand that my work is not a 9-4 job, but more a 04:00 - 22:45 job - not mentioning the long night-shifts. My work on the ferry has changed (I'm still a Captain, but a lot of the crew have resigned and been replaced).

But, I know, work is not an excuse either.

I will also tell you all more about my life-changing holiday to Thailand at a later time, when pictures are ready and the cold autumn days are here. In the meanwhile, please do enjoy this non-private video from my trip: http://www.vimeo.com/captainsvoyage/onceuponatime

Since I got back from Thailand, my big-brother also suddenly passed away in his sleep, just weeks before his 44th birthday. Like my late mother in 2007, my brother also succumbed to cancer - a disease more and more people are having to face. Cancer is a most horrible disease, and it seems as if more and more people are fighting this hard battle.

Naturally, it has been a really hard time for not only me, but also for my entire family and a lot of his good friends and supporters. Arranging all the funeral rites and the funeral itself took most of my free time when I had a few hours off the ship. His passing has made me realise that I have found a lot of peace in my own life the past year, and particularly since the start of 2013, when I decided to make this the best year ever.

As a part of my promise to make this a good year, I have decided to "clean up my life" and concentrate more on the things that mean the most to me. Sadly, my interest in ships, shipping and Hurtigruten has declined as it seems like everybody now claim to be an expert in these fields.

Rest assured, my interest within photography is still growing strong, much due to the everlasting and incredible support by my Thai friends. My field within photography has however shifted, from ships to cityscapes, portraits and fashion photography.

Within the term "clean up my life" you will also find that I'm trying to throw out a lot of the things I have collected through my life - including a large Hurtigruten collection of collectibles and books. Less clutter and more time to concentrate on the important things. And, it brings in some highly needed cash for new future projects.

I'm also not so much active on FB any longer… and what a time-saver that has become! After getting off the messy, over-loaded and not-essential information found on FB, I have more time to do other (important?) things. I have however made a new account, but it's purely in Thai and to keep in touch with my ever-growing friendships in Thailand.

BTW, I'm heading back to Thailand again from October 6th to 27th. More about THAT later. ;-)

And yes, a close friend noticed I have lost a lot of weight… yes, thank you, I have. Since December last year when I made a promise to live the rest of my life with great passion and a smile, I have shredded a wonderful 15 kg. I'm pressing time in at the gym several times a week, and by doing that, I'm fighting my own medical challenges with a whole lot greater physique. I can scratch my own back now!

mmmmm…. I apologise sincerely for this most messy post, from subject to subject, but I just felt like I had to let you all know what is going on and that I'm still here. I will be impressed if anyone actually took time to read it all.

I hope to see you all around again, and that you will continue to follow me and the forum on new exiting journeys in the years ahead.

I would like to say this in closing, and please do not take it lightly. Please do try to understand what I'm trying to convey, and please make sure you take a moment to contemplate on life itself. Life is really precious, and time is running.

To the most dearest friends that have shown me tremendous support and care in the very though months that have passed, I would like to end by thanking you all warmly from the bottom of my heart.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Re: "This is your Captain speaking..... "

hello J-O,sorry to hear from the lost of your brother,loosing him to cancer is hard,seeing him waste away.
    lost my brother through throad cancer,when he died his weight was just 45 kilo.

you let us hear from time to time that you was fighting the bugs,a war you can't win i suspose,you win 1,but another will come the same time.

why did you never tell us about your holiday,it was easier for us to handle,now it was looks like you was captain Schettino (Costa concordia),
    and after that your long shifts on the ferry,just a little post was enough.

you're the main glue here.

i'll hope that you have found the rest again that you have surched.

all the best to you
    best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
      ....now it was looks like you was captain Schettino (Costa concordia)
      Oh, that once was harsh...

you're the main glue here.
      Thank you very much.... I'm afraid I haven't been good glue in the past: life just got in the way for me, and time passed quick. I hope you find some place in your heart to forgive me, despite my "accidentally falling into the lifeboat"...

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

hahaha,first rule is ,i believe ,first save yourself,befor you can save another.

but you are Always replieng as a friendly family,if you didn't want that to much people to know it,there is stil the task force,which are the most active members.
        so we know what is happening ,why you was away,i Always thought that you was making shift after shift after shift,for saving money to make your trip and removel to Thailand.
        best regards Thijs

Comment

Thanks for sharing all of that with us Jan-Olav. Sorry to hear your sad news.

We look forward to hearing about the future plans.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

btw,not the best time to say,but last saterday of shipsspotting i had a great day with 2 german spotters,1 from Duisburg/Krefeld and 1 from Stuttgart.
            trying selling the product CVF to them for more members and spotting members ,i ask them to juin us here.
            they will look for it,but seeing that the last member is from may,and you said you had 36.000 new ones,it will be hard to find them between all those ghost members.
            and i didnt ask for there email,from one i know his name on marine traffic,from the Stuttgart guy i have nothing.
            so i cant tell them to wait,and i forget to say that we had problems on cvf,but what a fun we have.
            they probally too,with a dutch guy that talks dutch,german,and english al together in 1 sentence.(YES i got it RIGHT)
            best regards Thijs

Comment

btw,not the best time to say,but last saterday of shipsspotting i had a great day with 2 german spotters,1 from Duisburg/Krefeld and 1 from Stuttgart.
              trying selling the product CVF to them for more members and spotting members ,i ask them to juin us here.
              they will look for it,but seeing that the last member is from may,and you said you had 36.000 new ones,it will be hard to find them between all those ghost members.
              and i didnt ask for there email,from one i know his name on marine traffic,from the Stuttgart guy i have nothing.
              so i cant tell them to wait,and i forget to say that we had problems on cvf,but what a fun we have.
              they probally too,with a dutch guy that talks dutch,german,and english al together in 1 sentence.(YES i got it RIGHT)
              Thank you very much for the Public Relations - efforts.

I wish I could find a way to tackle the 36.000- new members issue.... it's the biggest problem I have right now, and it's killing me.

Comment

Jan-Olav, first and foremost, I send my deepest sympathy on losing your brother, and not so many years after the loss of your mother. It was a terrible blow after returning from your time in Thailand.
                You have already made great strides in your effort to "clean up your life" but I know that your journey will continue and that you will succeed, such is your determination. But if only you had given just some small clue as to what you were doing to the group of us that are most frequent posters e.g. the task force that Thijs mentioned and a few others, who could not understand why you so seldom visited CVF.
                After getting off the messy, over-loaded and not-essential information found on FB, I have more time to do other (important?) things.
                Oh, I like it! Power to your ellbow, as we say. And without those 15 kg. you'll pack a more powerful punch!

Please do try to understand what I'm trying to convey, and please make sure you take a moment to contemplate on life itself. Life is really precious, and time is running.
                Life is precious, I know it more every day. Good luck to you.
                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I will be impressed if anyone actually took time to read it all.
                  Thank you, I'm always happy when other people are impressed by what I do.

Sadly, my interest in ships, shipping and Hurtigruten has declined as it seems like everybody now claim to be an expert in these fields.
                  I don't see how an interest in a field can be influenced by what others are interested in.
                  I use Google and my many books alot, but I really hope I never claimed to be an expert in the fields you mentioned.

As you understand by what I write above, I've read every word of your post here, twice.
                  I will just lean back and hope for the world that CVF will be here in the future, as it has had a great impact on many humans life.
                  And I mean REAL life..., not virtual as in these machines we look into every hour of every day.
                  You must never forget that CVF has been the main key to several real life experiences, and that's very important.
                  You tell us yourself; life is precious.

If it weren't for you and CVF me personally would never have met you, Cecilia, Ralf and his family, Doris, Evelyn, Tommi, Jan Martin and more.
                  If it weren't for you and CVF, my stay in Kristiansand and Tall Ships Race 2010 would never have been the same, as we got to spend a hole day together with Jan Martin and Cecilia...., only because of CVF.
                  I know it's just simple words, but I'm forever thankful for you making CVF!!!
                  (I guess that must be one of the reasons I react like I do when traffic in here decline. I'm affraid to loose friends, and that sometimes lead to grumpyness which again in turn CAN lead to someone speaking/writing before thinking things through).

I'm deeply saddened and sorry for your loss this summer. You have my deepest sympathy.

Like others here me to know too well how a loss of a brother feels like.
                  I lost a 3 years younger brother back in 1997, but the difference here was that he choosed to leave himself.
                  I think about him every day, I miss him and it hurts...., still...., but I can assure you, life gradually comes back and goes on.
                  Nevertheless, it's very important to be in sorrow and live it through, as surpressed sadness is nothing of the good.

My thoughts are with you Jan-Olav.

I don't know what more to say other than stay in there, live your life, enjoy and above all take care of yourself...
                  "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Thank you very much Sterkoder, and wherrygirl,

Very kind of you both.

Rest assured, CVF will remain - but we have some challenges in the forum software, and we have to think new ways to continue. Basically, in short words, we have very, very, very soon outgrown our server capacity, and the only option for us is now to move to an own dedicated server. The problem with that, is that it will cost us.

BUT, more about that in the forum board update thread later today.

Comment

Yesterday evening I was actually trying to post a photo taken the very same day! (an unusual occurrence for me ) but everything slowed to a halt with the standard notice that includes the reason that the forum might be over busy. I had in any case domestic issues to attend to, so it is only this morning I see that not only had my photo successfully posted after all, but that the forum was indeed busy, and for the best, the very best of reasons.

Dearest Jan-Olav, Captain, thank you for communicating with us all, especially in what you have written from your heart in this wonderfully titled thread. Of course I have read and re-read it all, and today I’ll at least catch up with reading, if not commenting, on everything else happening on the forum as there is usually time hanging around the hospital while accompanying someone for appointments (...just to explain to everyone why I’m a bit stop/start on here myself at the moment.)

There is so much I could try to say, but the not-too-messy short version is to simply thank you Captain for having given me a “ship” for my life-voyage, for giving me a family, for –yes mutual –support in making Best Year Ever when mine could all too easily have descended into “worst”,
                      ...and most of all for just being YOU.

Comment

Me, too.... am reading all your posts word for word.

Since in my appearance i saw your video before this thread it thrills me, what will be next...

We had a lot of discussions about the forum and of course about you during all these family meetings this summer and i can assure you, we all have you in our thoughts and are there, if you need any kind of assistance.
                        It was really hard to follow and understand your steps during your several blog projects and FB activities. Now it sounds as we would have you "back" again and that would be fine!
                        We - the CV family - have a strange relationship, because we are virtually together nearly every day and totally independent at the same time. So we can't complain, if someone is following other interests, but we are all sorrowful and want to take care for each other.
                        So i am very happy about your decisions for your life, i am impressed that your health is improving with less weight and more sport (we all know this works, but how many of us are doing it in real life) and i feel this can help a lot to face the cruel things of life (my deepest sympathy!).
                        It is a feeling by many of us, that the forum could need some refurbishment, so please share your ideas and use the "Captain's Quarter" if you want to reduce a discussion about sensitive topics to a smaller circle!
                        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

And my wonder is:
                          When Eaddmvmf is "registering"...., together with tenfolds or hundreds of such nicks....., why not add a feature to CVF where a registering human being has to write a code a machine can't understand to be a member??
                          Or does this feature added to a forum cost more than the time used to check if it's a real human being behind these strange eight-figures nicks...?
                          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

but there is already something like this,so J-O can throw al those nicknames away without looking them.
                            so just registrate the ''normal'' nicknames/usernames.
                            best regards Thijs

Comment

but there is already something like this,so J-O can throw al those nicknames away without looking them.
                              so just registrate the ''normal'' nicknames/usernames.
                              Yes, but that means work for someone having to sift through all the undesirables which have already registered, whereas if a captcha were used the attempted bot registration would fall at the first fence and never appear in the membership list. Of course, it would still not prevent the individual human spammer from successfully registering.
                              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Working...
                              X