Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My voyage onboard ms lofoten november 2012

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
    I am sure using "normal" he meant all these other "boring-regular-cubic-cruise-ship-like" vessels Hurtigruten owns. Of course a "normal" boat has to look like MS Lofoten if we speak of "normal" meaning "real" or "authentic".
    I don't know Lofoten, Ralf and Yves, but from what I see of the pictures here it is so like the Kong Olav that I know full well that if ever I get to go on the Hurtigruten journey again it can only be on the Lofoten. Oh, I know I keep on about the K.O. recently, and why not! How many other CVF members have ever actually travelled on her?
    I am so enjoying this thread. Yes, as Ralf says, a real or authentic ship.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Between Torvik and Aalesund , on the upper deck , I had a long chat with a Norwegian boarded in Maloy and living in Giske. He uses to climb, so he described the peaks we saw in the surroundings.
      Now retired he worked as a banker in Aalesund, and be actually happy to get time to dedicate to his passion. I heard a lot about activities of islands inhabitants, bridges and tunnels connections (free now) and live day-to-day in the area. I shall learn later that he met a large part of the passengers. Who said Norwegians are a shy people?
      Nevertheless I could shot few pictures.

Last edited by yvneac; March 20th, 2013, 19:34.

Comment

This gentleman told me that these little fishing boats are used as a hobby.
        Last edited by yvneac; March 20th, 2013, 19:31.

Comment

AALESUND.
          City of Ombugge....
          ...and secondary of Rollon, creator of dukedom of Normandy.The story of the statue is on Norway Normandy thread.

Last edited by yvneac; March 20th, 2013, 19:24.

Comment

First thing to do, to climb up the 418 steps to reach the top of Arskla.
            Since I was with my mate Rollon I noticed that a senior man became to climb and all along the way he gained ground on me. Right at the top I congratulated him for his excellent stride then he declared he was a little slow this day.
            I answered I should like to be slow as he is!
            After this kind things we introduced ourselves and he told me he was 77 years old , born in Aalesund where he lives since he is retired from his work as seaman on cargo ships. He climbs to Arskla every day and has a look to the boats arriving and leaving the Harbour.
            He sailed mostly on the Atlantic line from Hambourg to New-York and regrets the good old times when the crews approached 50 men on board. I can understand that.
            Another nice meeting which gives warmth in a trip.
            So THE traditional postcard:

Last edited by yvneac; March 20th, 2013, 19:24.

Comment

Thanks Yves (and Seagull for the indication of the lighthouse - I'll try to look at it next time, unless it is still dark, which may well be).
              I can understand walking up the stairs everyday is an excellent work-out! And what a view .. is it possible to get bored with it ?

Comment

Originally posted by PanjiS View Post
                Thanks Yves (and Seagull for the indication of the lighthouse - I'll try to look at it next time, unless it is still dark, which may well be).
                It wasn't dark when we passed it on Dec. 23rd so you should be OK (if the weather is clear). Here is how it looked (if Yves allows this intrusion in his very exciting and lively tale):

(it's the same lighthouse but from a different angle). This lighthouse is one of my favourite of this journey's landmark.
                MS Lofoten April 2006, March 2012, Feb 2013. MS Polarlys Dec 2010. MS Fram Feb 2009, Sep 2011.
                Upcoming : MS Fram Dec 2013, MS Lofoten Sep 2014
                My travelblog : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com. Hurtigruten, Antarctica, Svalbard, Norway (and other places...).

Comment

Originally posted by Sarnia View Post
                  It wasn't dark when we passed it on Dec. 23rd so you should be OK (if the weather is clear). Here is how it looked (if Yves allows this intrusion in his very exciting and lively tale):

(it's the same lighthouse but from a different angle). This lighthouse is one of my favourite of this journey's landmark.
                  Wahou what a shot!!!.....
                  ...and don't worry about a supposed intrusion.I am NOT the owner of this thread. Shaer,share,share...

Comment

Some other shots from Arskla.

Last edited by yvneac; March 20th, 2013, 17:42.

Comment

...and of course, PETIBATO friendly waiting for her guests return.

Last edited by yvneac; March 20th, 2013, 17:38.

Comment

Going back downstairs.

Last edited by yvneac; March 20th, 2013, 17:08.

Comment

And, indeed frontages.
                          I like frontages,they are like the covers of books.You don't know yet what happens inside but you imagine, you try to guess, you read what is written on the stone and you feel there are lives,maybe banal but secret to discover.

Last edited by yvneac; March 20th, 2013, 17:06.

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                            And, indeed frontages.
                            I like frontages,they are like the covers of books.You don't know yet what happens inside but you imagine, you try to guess, you read what is written on the stone and you feel there are lives,maybe banal but secret to discover.
                            Sometimes when I am in Norwich I see a street of, say, late Victorian terraced houses, small and cramped. Many of them could perhaps do with a fresh coat of paint on the door. Then I see one where the occupants have done something about their frontage and had it cladded with mock stone. I look at it and think to myself that they had done better to leave the original brick front as it was, for the "improvement" is ugly. But I don't mind, for I imagine them sitting round the table discussing what they can do to make their little home special, scanning pictures of various possibilities and then coming to the grand decision.
                            And I applaud them, they care about their house and I feel proud for them.
                            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I do like Aalesund, it’s a museum in the open air but with a real life, a city at work not a postcard.The sea is always present, animated by a busy boat traffic, cargos, ferries, fishing and sailing boats.

After we left I had a conversation wth guests in our panoramic lounge; they thought the call was too short to visit the whole town. So, as a cunning ambassador of CVF I warmly recommended our forum, especially Sterkoder’s report on Aalesund thread. Maybe we’ll have new members from UK, Switzerland, Italy and France.

Bye bye Aalesund. En route to Molde and Kristiansund.

Last edited by yvneac; March 20th, 2013, 16:54.

Comment

Still a long way to be back home.

Want a shower?

Last edited by yvneac; March 20th, 2013, 16:53.

Comment

Working...
                                X