No announcement yet.

Ralf__ is on tour...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like you are having a ball of time up there in Lofoten and Vesterålen. As long as the weather is good, there is so much to see and do up there... I could probably travel around that area for several weeks and not get tired of looking at new things each day.

Rainy days on holiday is off course a downer, but a part of the package we can't control.

Wish you so many happy hours, days and experiences on your holiday! Drive safely always!

PS: How is the mosquito situation up there? Have you seen or had any bites yet?
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Ralf__
      Ralf__ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the kind wishes. We do it like polo and try to catch the half hour of sun per day.

After hour lofoten photo-safari in raftsund (pictures will follow), which was noticed by the captain (he did send us a „hello“ with the ships horn), we spent the night again near svolvaer in the wind shelter nearby a hytter. Yesterday was even worse, we did a tour through svolvaers shopping mall. Sad, many empty shops. This center is too big and will kill anyhow the local shops. Only 08/15 stuff like anywhere else in the world. After that we visited lofot museum and aquarium in kabelvag before we moved to hov at the northern shore. Today we visited the viking museum at borg, went shopping in leknes (same situation as in svolvaer) and stay for the night in flakstad. Tomorrow we head down to a at the southern end. We hope for some dry hours. On friday back via ballstad to svolvaer and on board of ms finnmarken. Seems we get the best weather on our cruise.
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

We do feel sorry for you Ralf. We've had rain, but only for limited periods of time, we've had loads of bright, warm-ish sun too, it's just that the weather can change so quickly up here - doesn't sound like you've been that lucky. We're in Kirkenes now, still breezy out there, but bright, big breaks in the cloud. Enjoy Finnmarken - we checked her for you yesterday, she's looking fine! Look out for overcooked waffles in the cafe though - Mrs PoloUK wasn't impressed by that! They were busy painting her for you though so that she looks at her best when she picks you up.
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Having said that ... http://www.radionordkapp.no/nyheter/...tengt-med-bom/

Caravans blown over, motorcyclist injured when blown off the road, and the Gjesvær/Skarsvåg road closed due to wind! Looks like we left Magerøya in time!
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• ombugge
          ombugge commented
          Editing a comment
          Ahh the joy of the Norwegian SUMMER!!! (Aka the "green winter")

• pakarang
          pakarang commented
          Editing a comment
          Soo very Norwegian summer this year... or perhaps the summer was those two weeks of sunshine about a month ago?

Could this be the autumn already - I'm so confused!

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
        After hour lofoten photo-safari in raftsund (pictures will follow), which was noticed by the captain (he did send us a „hello“ with the ships horn), we spent the night again near svolvaer in the wind shelter nearby a hytter. Yesterday was even worse, we did a tour through svolvaers shopping mall. Sad, many empty shops. This center is too big and will kill anyhow the local shops. Only 08/15 stuff like anywhere else in the world. After that we visited lofot museum and aquarium in kabelvag before we moved to hov at the northern shore. Today we visited the viking museum at borg, went shopping in leknes (same situation as in svolvaer) and stay for the night in flakstad. Tomorrow we head down to a at the southern end. We hope for some dry hours. On friday back via ballstad to svolvaer and on board of ms finnmarken. Seems we get the best weather on our cruise.
        Sounds like a fun-filled plan. I've heard a lot of positive and not much negative about the Viking museum at Borg - hope you will enjoy it. Please let me know what you feel about the place afterwards, if it met or exceeded your expectations, or if it perhaps was a bit too "touristy".

Safe onwards travels, Ralf!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

At least we have no moskito problem at all, since we are out on the Islands!! Today we had bright sunshine during our tour to moskenesöy and a. So all the mointains were to see and we had a nice walk to the lakes and waterfalls over sörvagen with beautiful sight. Forecast for tomorrow is not too bad. A is a nice village, though you can make all the famous pictures within a space of a few squaremeters. The viking museum is impressing and in our opinion very competitive with the best german medieval museums we know. Very nice boat trip included. But a lamb soup for 150 nok? We weren‘t that hungry. Tonight we pitched in at brustranden sjöhuscamping near stamsund. Nice spot! Thanks for the check, mark, we hope to be lucky, that the will have finished the pool renovation until tomorrow.

Comment

Will confirm as soon as we have successfully embarked aboard finnmarken. Everyone of the forum between stamsund and bergen is warmly invited to a cup of coffee aboard ms finnmarken. Just give is a message!
            Last edited by Ralf__; June 28th, 2018, 21:31.

Comment

Big net over the pool a couple of days ago - big sign saying ‘pool being upgraded for Plinta family’. We were in warm sunshine at Grense Jakobselv this afternoon. Will start to head south soon - need to earn some money to pay off the credit card.
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Bon voyage! I'll see if I can make it to Finnmarken for a cup of coffee an hour before departure southwards....

Are you on the way through Trondheim southbound on this coming Sunday July 1st?

Comment

• Ralf__
                  Ralf__ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes we embarked right in time and at calm sea. On sunday morning we are in tromdheim and we woult be very happy to expect you at 900 aboard finnmarken!

Our last day on the lofoten began again with rain. Luckily later it stopped and we had a nice 2 1/2 hour walk along the northern shore and an old pass. Later we watched ms trollfjord in stamsund and -after some cooking- we waited for ms finnmarken. She receives a lot of renovations - the painture of our upgraded inside cabin, (we have now 629 with sight on a wonderful lifeboat) is renewed, well the outer hull in this area - and the pool is still closed. But whirlpooling in the midnight sun was big fun anyhow. Car deck and ship are not too full, a lot of round trip guests will leave the ship in trondheim. So i expect the last two days to be quite familiar. Tonight we are glad to meet ms lofoten in rörvik, bopked in for the 1900 session for the 125 anniversary dinner, so we should be finished before the meeting!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                  Our last day on the lofoten began again with rain. Luckily later it stopped and we had a nice 2 1/2 hour walk along the northern shore and an old pass. Later we watched ms trollfjord in stamsund and -after some cooking- we waited for ms finnmarken. She receives a lot of renovations - the painture of our upgraded inside cabin, (we have now 629 with sight on a wonderful lifeboat) is renewed, well the outer hull in this area - and the pool is still closed. But whirlpooling in the midnight sun was big fun anyhow. Car deck and ship are not too full, a lot of round trip guests will leave the ship in trondheim. So i expect the last two days to be quite familiar. Tonight we are glad to meet ms lofoten in rörvik, bopked in for the 1900 session for the 125 anniversary dinner, so we should be finished before the meeting!
                  Sounds absolutely wonderful that all is planned and timed to perfection. Glad you also get to see your old favourite Lady at Rørvik (the Lofoten).

Have a wonderful dinner, stay at Rørvik and may your voyage across the open seas at Folla be a calm one!

Unless something really unexpected happens, I'll be seeing you in Trondheim tomorrow morning! Welcome to Trondheim!

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post

Sounds absolutely wonderful that all is planned and timed to perfection. Glad you also get to see your old favourite Lady at Rørvik (the Lofoten).

Have a wonderful dinner, stay at Rørvik and may your voyage across the open seas at Folla be a calm one!

Unless something really unexpected happens, I'll be seeing you in Trondheim tomorrow morning! Welcome to Trondheim!
                    Great. Have a nice evening and we see you tomorrow.

Comment

We had a wonderful meeting with ms lofoten in rörvik. Bright sunlight and we were booked in the restaurant for the 125 year anniversary 5 course dinner. The 1900 session was finished right in time to watch her sail in and spend a visit on her. Compared to the huge finnmarken it was like returning on our private yacht! However finnmarken is wonderful with lots of different places to be outside. So much better then on midnatsol or trollfjord which have been a step in the wrong direction. We had a magic night then with a marvellous light and the sun going down and the nearly full moon appearing at the same time. In trondheim we met jan-olav and had an hour together aboard, which seemed like 5 minutes. Thank you so much for coming, it was a pleasure to talk together. A relaxed day followed and right in time we received a welcome to kristiansund by big S, who was busy with his daughter that day. But he could not resist to open a small sms conversation with us. We will meet another time, dear friend. We admired the schooner „ideal“ instead, which we daw three years ago with his just finished bidy srill in raw wood. Now she was set into the water, showing all her gorgeous beauty! What a sight! This morning the finnmarken tour leader, peter jensen built his master piece. After announcing nesna as finnsnes, telling some wrong departure times, making jokes in english and german, who could also offend some people, not announcing ship meetings and points of interest, quitting a lecture for many american guests because of the football match croatia against denmark, annoumcing the wrong port time for alesund, he missed the 125 jubilee flag ceremony and offered much to late cake and champagne, which you had to buy, without telling the reason. He should change to aida. The while ship and crew is wonderful, but this guy i a catastrophee. No feeling for hurtigruten! By the way, alesund was a nice visit in the late evening light with a very specific mood. The city, which has changed a lot during the passed 10 years.

Comment

• Seagull
                        Seagull commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ralf! This post is in itself a delightful trip report. I'm so pleased all your arrangements, J-O meet up, and LF visit worked out so well. Your description of the FM tour leader's exploits has me in fits of laughter (although of course it is actually rather sad especially for folk travelling the route for the first time).
                        So I'm even going to forgive you for describing my favourite newer ship TF as "a step in the wrong direction"!
                        Happy rest of trip.

• PoloUK
                        PoloUK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        All good stuff. I do agree with Cecilia though - we all look for different things in the ships, TF and MS are also very comfortable to travel on, and for us they have met all our needs. It's been the people on the ships rather than the layout of them that have made our recent trips so wonderful. I know how personally the crews take the comments about each of the ships, which are after all their homes for much of the year for several years at a time, so I think I'd rather be positive about all of them. I do agree though that FM has more outside places to find to sit and watch the world go by than TF and MS.

Thank you so much for also taking time to welcome me so warmly on board. Let's hope that next time, we will have a lot more than 5 minutes / 1 hour to catch up. Needless to say, it was really nice to meet you again. I guess last time was on board Korsfjord so many years ago.

That tour-leader seems hilarious because of his mistakes. It reminds me of something a very well known Thai business leader once said to me... it was along the lines of... "if you have the true passion in what you do, everybody will feel it...".

Comment

Thank you cecilia, mark and jan-olav for the nice words. Of course everyone has his personal favourites. In my very detailed, long teport with all the pictures i will explain you in detail, why my ranking sees finnmarken way before ms and tf. But that is my opinion and it is good to express it, because what else should we discuss about? Jan-olav, your thai (business) friend spoke so wise. I thought several times these days: man, sign off and change to aida. Don‘t you understand, which unique product you are selling? Of course the landscape is wonderful, but it is the same, they take you to on aida, msc, mein schiff and all the others. But no other trip has this unique tradition and is the trip worth for itself! And which other crew is so proud to work for the own company? As Norwegian in norwegian waters? You see, i am really upset. He is the main ambassador for the company and is doing it so lax and sloppy! And that diring the days of the 125 years jubilee... but it is so true, you can‘t learn passion. You must have it!

Comment

• Ralf__
                          Ralf__ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Oh. Jan-Olav and the last meeting was seven years ago or as to say it so - nearly one ferry generation!
                      Working...
                      X