Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another new member from France

Sarnia, your boat looks lovely,

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Aah, I love the way it's rigged, like a traditional sailing ship, that's a cutter rig? How on earth do you manage to get the jib in place on the forestay?

Comment

Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Now that is a sailing boat!!!
          What a beauty you got there...., it's a pleasure to rest my eyes on it, you should be proud to own that one!!!
          I love the classic old look of it...
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Thank you!

Originally posted by Tommi View Post
            How on earth do you manage to get the jib in place on the forestay?
            I'm not great with technical sailing vocabulary in English. By "forestay", do you mean the horizontal mast at the front of the ship?
            MS Lofoten April 2006, March 2012, Feb 2013. MS Polarlys Dec 2010. MS Fram Feb 2009, Sep 2011.
            Upcoming : MS Fram Dec 2013, MS Lofoten Sep 2014
            My travelblog : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com. Hurtigruten, Antarctica, Svalbard, Norway (and other places...).

Comment

Hello Sarnia.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful Lofoten Blog. It was a travel on my favourite ship again. I am very glad you noticed the same typicals of the ship like maneuvers, the loading and unloading business as well as the many spotter places outside. Beautiful pictures, again thank you, welcome in our circle and have fun with all our stuff here.

We will spend two weeks in Brittany in early June this year, housboating from Redon to Pontivy and back. I look forward to this with pleasant anticipation, the last time i was in Brittany was about 1978, i was still a child... Redon can't be too far away from your place, right?
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                Thank you for sharing your wonderful Lofoten Blog. It was a travel on my favourite ship again. I am very glad you noticed the same typicals of the ship like maneuvers, the loading and unloading business as well as the many spotter places outside.
                Thank you for your appreciation. I really enjoyed the feeling of being on a working ship on the Lofoten. In December 2010 I traveled on the Polarlys, which is a great ship, but I missed that feeling a little.

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                We will spend two weeks in Brittany in early June this year, housboating from Redon to Pontivy and back. I look forward to this with pleasant anticipation, the last time i was in Brittany was about 1978, i was still a child... Redon can't be too far away from your place, right?
                This looks like it's going to be a lot of fun, houseboating is something I would like to try. You are going to have a great time. Redon is about one hour from where I live.
                MS Lofoten April 2006, March 2012, Feb 2013. MS Polarlys Dec 2010. MS Fram Feb 2009, Sep 2011.
                My travelblog : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com. Hurtigruten, Antarctica, Svalbard, Norway (and other places...).

Comment

Originally posted by Sarnia View Post
                  Thank you!
                  I'm not great with technical sailing vocabulary in English. By "forestay", do you mean the horizontal mast at the front of the ship?
                  I understand, it's not easy with all those special boat-words in different languages.
                  The forestay is the wire going from the bow of the boat to the mast. It's preventing the mast to fall backwards and is also used to fasten the front side of the sail.
                  The horisontal mast is called bowsprit. I actually had to look up that...
                  Last edited by Tommi; February 13th, 2012, 06:44. Reason: bowspirit to bowsprit

Comment

I understand, it's not easy with all those special boat-words in different languages.
                    The forestay is the wire going from the bow of the boat to the mast. It's preventing the mast to fall backwards and is also used to fasten the front side of the sail.
                    The horisontal mast is called bowspirit. I actually had to look up that...
                    Basic Sailing Terms explained in English: http://comminfo.rutgers.edu/~elfox/terms.html

Comment

The horisontal mast is called bowsprit. I actually had to look up that...
                      Oh, OK. It's actually the sail in the middle ("trinquette" in French, I found a translation that calls it "Staysail") that is attached to the forestay.
                      The jib is "free standing", it's attached only to the end of the bowsprit and at the top of the mast but the front side is free (I hope this makes sense! ).

Thank you Ombugge for the link, might come in handy!

Comment

Working...
                      X