Sterkoder's holiday weekend... Latest update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sterkoder's holiday weekend... Latest update

Those lions were really impressive, as they were made out of plain fence wire

A throwing device, a catapult

An old house stacked in between the thick stone walls of the castle

Old and new architecture, as seen from the riverside
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

That twisted building looking like something I've promised myself not to mention, is the Swiss Re building, nicknamed 'the Gherkin'

On the other side of the river was th London City Hall

And finally...., one of the 'musts' when in London, London Bridge

Comment

A couple more from the bridge, before we sat course Notting Hill

A few of us wanted a soft ice before we continued our race

Then we got to Portobello Road in Notting Hill, and as we arrived, they were almost finished to take down their sales stands, and it soon became too dark for handheld photography

Comment

Just an impression of Portobello Road

One of many cosy stores

This concludes my images from London, and I really hope you've enjoyed the specially prepared CVF-tour...

What was the highlight of my days in London..?

Attending Phantom of the Opera in chair 8 at the front row of Her Majesty's Theatre!!
          Last edited by Sterkoder; October 3rd, 2012, 18:19.

Comment

Wonderful Sterkoder motifs – like the Shakespeare's Head and the Liberty’s ship and the reflections in the Albert Hall! On to the park, (liked the b&w), and at this point in the virtual walk I just had to look up a map…so now even more impressed by your group’s itinerary and organised plan of action to make the most of the weekend, and you made it on the London Eye too!
            Ah, Boudicca!, now there’s someone we’ve chatted about before on CVF in a completely different context! Good spot. And at the Tower I love the way you lead us in, showing us a sequence of images, so that finally realising the construction of the lion is all the more amazing.

At this point I am actually recognising where we are! On my last and only visit to London in decades (excepting flight changes at LHR!) I stayed just along from the City Hall in #122, and saw Fram at Tower Bridge, getting a preview visit onboard a week before I was to join her maiden voyage in Oslo!
            But I haven’t ever been to Notting Hill, or to see the Phantom of the Opera!

Thank you so much for a stimulating tour!
            Last edited by Seagull; October 3rd, 2012, 17:39.

Comment

Even more great photos Svein!

That's actually Tower Bridge rather than London Bridge. The current London Bridge isn't quite as wonderfully ornate and gothic as Tower Bridge, the previous one was sold to the Americans - the legend going that they thought they were buying this bascule bridge! The company I work for sold a railway signalling interlocking to Tower Bridge well over hundred years ago for its control - not in use any more.
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Thanks again, Mark..., for info conected to my pictures.

Belive it or not, I know that it's Tower Bridge, but I had something in the back of my head telling me that it is a mix of names there.
                I was wrong.

Nevertheless...., I had a great time in a clean, nice city

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                  Thanks again, Mark..., for info conected to my pictures.

Belive it or not, I know that it's Tower Bridge, but I had something in the back of my head telling me that it is a mix of names there.
                  I was wrong.

Nevertheless...., I had a great time in a clean, nice city
                  Really glad you had a good time - and have thoroughly enjoyed sharing the trip with you!!
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Great to follow you on this walk-around in London. The pictures have a nice and familiar feeling.

Comment

Thanks, Tommi! Guess I've found my style then...

I also took a few pictures with the iPhone camera, but since I'm the stupid one who still got the iPhone 3Gs, the quality is mediocre.

Here's a "must" picture from London

Her Majesty's Theatre before we went inside

And after we came out

Using my Pentax, I took these pictures of the Buckingham Palace flag pole Saturday. I thought that crow was a bit special...

The wind blew the wrong way, so I did not get a side view of the Union Jack

If you want to buy souvenirs from the Buckingham Palace, you have to visit the shop next to the palace
                      Last edited by Sterkoder; October 3rd, 2012, 22:03.

Comment

I am a little bit late to give you some nice comment,Sterkoder but better late than never

Fantastic pictures from your trip to London, and very nice and good motifs you have catched from your walk.
                        I enjoyed every picture very much and you have certainly found your own style, I would say.

Comment

Thank you Svein for this trip around my countries capital. I love the way you have captured so many of the landmarks, especially where you have captured old and new in the same frame.

I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit so much. It was great to follow you along on this little London adventure.
                          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Dear S,

Excellent shots from a very interesting and fascinating city... a world-metropolis! This is a city I haven't been to since... ehmmmm.... 1998 I think, or 1997.... a lifetime ago by now.

Harrods looks tempting but scary when it comes to credit cards... must leave them under a stone at the street before going in I guess.... did you REALLY manage to get through the chocolotae-department without a taste? I think I would have serious problems passing through a room full of chocolates....
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                            X