No announcement yet.

Captains travel bLOG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Captains travel bLOG: Back to Hong Kong with love.

I was so ecstatic to be back in Hong Kong, for some strange reason beyond my comprehension, I kind of feel at home there. I have always fantasised about how it would be like actually living and working there, but that's one thing I most probably will never find out.

On the first day, my attention was drawn towards a couple of cruise ships docked at the new cruise terminal and former Kai Take airport: I believe it was Seven Seas Mariner and the Silver Whisper:

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7348 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7350 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

One thing I like to do in Hong Kong is to walk around everywhere to find places to see, eat and places to just sit down and enjoy the changing scenery and all the people!

At the brand new boardwalk which wasn't completed at my previous visit, it was the absolutely perfect place to "people-watch". It was at times really crowded and certainly a very popular place for tourists.

Surprisingly, after negotiating a relatively long queue at the Starbucks on the dock, I was surprised that there was a lot of available seats outside on the roof, to sip my drink and continue people watching, protected by the statue of the world famous Bruce Lee outside.

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7351 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7357 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

The brand new board walk was such a wonderful place to walk and feel the breeze from the ocean. There was also some architecturally interesting ways of providing shade from the sun:

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7360 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7362 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7364 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

This was a great place to hang out and just enjoy Hong Kong. I would come back here many times during my visit.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A cruise ship that was not docked at the new cruise terminal was the ARCADIA. She docked at the Ocean Terminal, which also contains a giant shopping mall with endless number of shops of all kinds. The view from the terrace is also magnificent too, but the sun was so strong there!

I myself has also spent time at this cruise dock nearly 30 years ago, but back then, it was with the Royal Viking Sun. I do have a picture of that somewhere, and I should probably see if I can find and share that too.

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7370 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7366 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7372 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7368 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7369 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Nice "going" on a trip to Hong Kong before work!
          There might be several things one should, or rather ought to, think about or comment, but I can't help but thinking about all those three cruise ships has also been to Kristiansund.
          Anyway, thanks for the report, Jan-Olav!
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Uuuh!! Hong Kong. Difficult for me. I am always shocked by the battery of houses like we see it in #121/1. So many people on so less space. Nah! Not my kind of place i want to be.
            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• Sterkoder
              Sterkoder commented
              Editing a comment
              Not for me either, Ralf.
              One short stop, one quick peek, but that's all..., move on.
              And what will happen to the place when also the English common-law principle is coming to an end 30. June 2047?
              Then Hongkong will be totally under the wings of China.

When I read this late last night I was initially confused, a kind of déjà vu feeling. No, it wasn't that you had already posted about the flights. Everything in the city itself seemed so familiar to me, the areas where you strolled, hung out, people-watched ...right to the exact 'from your coffee table' views.

Then I realised that this was the trip when you had better internet than on some of your travels and I was at my better internet location at this end, and had been absolutely hooked on tracking down your various posts at the time like virtually travelling with you. (Yes, I kind of shifted from UK time with virtual jet lag to follow!!!!!). The other thing that made this trip memorable was that you had been concentrating on live videos, and even when some formats didn't always work exactly how you wanted there was enough material for you to incorporate in even more YouTube compilations later.

I was encouraging everyone to watch these at the time: http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...860#post214860
            ...so I guess I then assumed that following the flight reviews here on Travel bLOG you had 'finished' reporting on this trip as the continuation was all on YouTube.

Nevertheless I found a number of extra delights in these latest images. I always love both seeing photos and actually experiencing the sight of familiar ships in recognisably different locations. I would have enjoyed such shipspotting in Hong Kong as much as I'm enjoying your bonus images in the bLOG.
            Also I'm drawn to the extreme opposites of urban complexity and wild nature in such close proximity.

I had recently been thinking that it hasn't been turning out to be the best of summers for your favourite cities, pakarang, what with the massive disruption of protests against the extradition bill taking to the streets in Hong Kong, and reports from Bangkok of record levels of dengue fever reaching epidemic levels.

Anyway, when's this next "fast approaching" trip you mention? ...July? ...August? I had thought you were busy saving up for and planning a big trip to Japan.

Comment

hahahaha.... you guys, thanks for the comments, thoughts and laughs. Makes the hard work all worth it!

Hong Kong is indeed an extremely dynamic city, and after spending so many years in a similar town (Bangkok), I may have grown fascinated and used to all those people. But, I occasionally also like to head out into the forest all alone too. And that's the great thing about Hong Kong, as you may have seen on my CaptainsVoyage YouTube account: you may hike the hills around Hong Kong on remote trails almost all alone, just minutes away from the bustling city.

Tastes are as different as it can be: we all like different things. Hong Kong, and perhaps Asia in general, is for me something familiar and safe. I always have an attraction and sense of belonging there. In Norway, I most of the time feel like a fish out of its pond. Hence the lack of Norwegian friends too... but I'm fine, I have Asian friends all over town, and we have an understanding that I for some reason can't get with Norwegians.

But no worries, it's all good.

The changing Hong Kong has been a video idea of mine for a long time, but even though I scripted the video, I never got around to actually making it. Perhaps at my next imminent visit?

I believe ombugge lived in Hong Kong for some time, or have a lot of connection to Hong Kong?

I did have better Internet that last time, but it wasn't as fast and goos as I would have wanted. I did one or two youtube-live, but now I'm no longer allowed to do Live on YT. They have raised the bar from at least 100 to 1000 subscribers to be able to do Live on YT now. Facebook does allow me to send Live though, but oh my goodness, FB has become a hard to handle dinosaur. The feed is nearly impossible to get through, and it doesn't even show me the cool stuff.

Argh... algorithms!

Kind of cool to think that these three cruise ships have all been to Kristiansund too. Even Arcadia?

Oh... and PS: Yes, Japan is also on the table in addition to a couple of other really great events/destinations.

Comment

Captains travel bLOG: Back to Hong Kong with love, part 2.

As I continue my report from Hong Kong, I would like to take you to one of my favourite spots here. The place goes by the name 1881 or 1881 Heritage. Located in the heart of Tsim Sha Tsui, the Former Marine Police Headquarters have been rejuvenated and re-integrated into the urban fabric of the surrounding area. The 120 year-old historical development has been revitalized and transformed into a cultural and shopping landmark in Hong Kong – “1881 Heritage”.

Following extensive renovation and conservation works by CK Asset Holdings Limited, “1881 Heritage” now features luxury shops, fine dining establishments and hip bars, a heritage hotel, and a Heritage Hall which allows visitors to discover the history of the site.

With the prime location on Canton Road, “1881 Heritage” is at the centre of the Tsim Sha Tsui cultural and shopping hub. It is only steps away from Hong Kong Cultural Centre, Hong Kong Space Museum, Hong Kong Museum of Art, and Kowloon Park. “1881 Heritage” can be conveniently reached by various modes of public transport, including by MTR, ferry and bus.

Simply said, I love the place for it's colonial style and tranquil atmosphere.

On the 1881 Heritage own webpage, you can read about it's rich history as well: https://www.1881heritage.com

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7384 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7376 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7375 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7386 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7387 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Captains travel bLOG: Back to Hong Kong with love, part 2 continuation...

In this place, you can also see the historical "time bell tower"... it's open during business hours and entrance is free. I love learning about small things like this not normally found in guide books, or on organised tours.

Looking at the drawing from ships in the harbour, the landscape surrounding this historic building has changed dramatically over the years!

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7380 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7379 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7381 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7382 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7389 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

This is really an extreme change, also if you keep in mind, that this now tranquil place has been (and is) a lively centre with lots of activities. But the surrounding has become dramatically more busy and that is frightening for me, if i look at such Megacities.
                    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

This bLOG for sure makes better reading than news reports from Hong Kong right now.
                      Anyway...
                      The Time Bell Tower is exactly the kind of thing I like to find and very much enjoy when travelling too.
                      Edinburgh's time ball is still visible from our harbour at Leith though!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                        This is really an extreme change, also if you keep in mind, that this now tranquil place has been (and is) a lively centre with lots of activities. But the surrounding has become dramatically more busy and that is frightening for me, if i look at such Megacities.
                        That's one of the fascinating things about Hong Kong (for me). It is indeed one of the worlds most densely populated places, but there are tranquil hide-aways everywhere. Finding them, and local "non-important" history is like a treasure hunt for me.

A megacity no doubt. Daunting ant first, but I have actually kind of fallen in love with Hong Kong.

Thank you so much for dropping by and for taking time to comment, Ralf!

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                        This bLOG for sure makes better reading than news reports from Hong Kong right now.
                        Anyway...
                        The Time Bell Tower is exactly the kind of thing I like to find and very much enjoy when travelling too.
                        Edinburgh's time ball is still visible from our harbour at Leith though!
                        Thank you for the link to Edinburgh's time-ball.... quite interesting to read and learn more. I hadn't known or seen too much about time-balls in the past, so all this is great new information to me.

Finding this place was like a hidden price for me, like children when they find a new figure in that extremely popular game/app... oh, my goodness, I can't remember the name of the game, but it made a lot of people go out hunting for creatures in their neighbourhoods.

Comment

Captains travel bLOG: Back to Hong Kong with love, part 3

As I continue my quite random trip around Hong Kong, I can't but help stopping by Peninsula Hotel at Tsim Tsha Tsui.... to look at one of their custom-green Rolls Royce. This time, I was lucky to also spot and photograph an "older" model MAYBACH 57. Stunning cars I think, but to keep and maintain a gas-guzzling monster like that takes some very financially strong people. I spoke with another car-admirer there, he was Hong Kong cantonese and had also arrived there to take pictures of exclusive cars. According to him, this was a great place to photograph exotic cars. He actually wasn't too much interested in the Maybach, because it was "just" a 57, and not the much rarer Maybach 62.

I have for a very long time been dreaming of spending a night at this hotel, but there is no way I can justify spending that kind of money on a hotel room. Like tonight, the "cheapest" rate available is about 3600 NOK for a deluxe room. With pay-cuts and no wage rise for the past decade, buying power has been reduced. This is way over budget most of the time.

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7390 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7394 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7396 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Further up in the streets of Tsim Tsha Tsui I also came across this green Lamborghini... not my preferred choice in colour, but at least, it stands out from the rest of the street.

I believe this might be a Lamborghini Huracan if I'm not mistaken?

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7405 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7408 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Much, much later in the afternoon, I also came across this pretty in grey Porsche.

2019_03_12 G7XM2 HONG KONG-IMG_3878 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Captains travel bLOG: Back to Hong Kong with love, part 3, continuation...

Next set of images will be of street scenes around Tsim Tsha Tsui and Nathan Road. I love when I find a coffee place with an available window seat, where I can enjoy coffee and the street view. Watching all the life on the street is endlessly fascinating and never cease to interest me.

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7399 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7410 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7414 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7415 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7417 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 G7XM2 HONG KONG-IMG_3883 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

After a lot of walking, it was time to replenish my body with something... I walked back a long way to find my favourite tea from Come Buy Tea.

It was well worth the long walk back.

2019_03_12 G7XM2 HONG KONG-IMG_3875 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Captains travel bLOG: Back to Hong Kong with love, part 3, continuation...

As the sun was setting, it was time to return to the nightly "light show" from Hong Kong island, along the shoreline of Hong Kong. I have heard many people are truly disappointed about the views here, but for me at the beginning of the evening, I find it spectacular enough. How wonderful to just sit there, watch the world literally go by. Some also go sightseeing on these old replica ships too.

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7426 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7434 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7444 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7451 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

The famous Hong Kong clock tower:

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7441 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

And here are some of the Arcadia which was about to depart in a couple of hours time:

2019_03_12 EOS5D HONG KONG-IMG_7459 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 G7XM2 HONG KONG-IMG_3898 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_03_12 G7XM2 HONG KONG-IMG_3904 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X