No announcement yet.

Captains travel bLOG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great report. I am following it with interest!! Thank you for taking us with you!
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
      Great report. I am following it with interest!! Thank you for taking us with you!
      Thank you very much Ralf. Yesterday, I was actually unsure if I would finish this thread at all. I'm glad you enjoyed the trip so far. Thank you for comment and for visiting this "thread".

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Captain returns home to Thailand: May 6th Heading to Sakon Nakhon.

As I mentioned before leaving off on the second day, next image would be taken on May 6th, and by that time, I had made my way up to the north-eastern town of Sakon Nakhon. The days in between had been spent "off the grid" with an old friend in a remote place of the San /Esan region. I find it really strange that I'm much more capable and much more myself in the poorest places of Thailand. I feel at peace in a totally different way than I do for example here in Norway.

Anyway, I arrived at Salon Nakhon in the late afternoon, and checked in at my favourite budget hotel in this most charming city: M.T. Place. It's a relatively new building and classified as a "Thai-style" hotel: meaning stone hard beds, all built in furnitures and a lot of tiles on floors, and a somewhat simple bathroom. The price is also considered to be a Thai price. Despite it being a Thai-style hotel, it's clean and very comfortable, and the staff is super-friendly too.

View from my room as the sun was about to set just after 6 in the afternoon: looks like there will be some rain showers and thunderstorm a bit later in the evening:

2017_05_06 Sakon Nakhon-IMG_0332-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

After a short rest at the hotel, it was time to get food, and what better place to eat than Green Corner. Simple Thai food at reasonable price. Not the best Thai food I had tasted, but still OK.

2017_05_06 Sakon Nakhon-IMG_0330-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

After food, it was time to catch up with some friends, and as they insisted on a Thai "kitchen-style" disco, that it would be. It was such a fun night, with fluids, dancing, singing, chatting (as in shouting to each other because of the loud music... and so on). The night would not end before some time early next morning.

2017_05_06 Sakon Nakhon-IMG_0340-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Captain returns home to Thailand: May 7th, Kham Hom Coffee Sakon Nakhon

The next morning, after a most wonderful night with lots of old friends, and some new as well, I woke up refreshed and ready for a trip to Nakon Phanom, next to the Mekong river. I just had to make a short stop before leaving Sakon Nakhon: Kham Hom Coffee.

Just a few minutes drive from the hotel, it took me literally only a few minutes to get there. This most charming coffee-place is located in Soi Rat Patthana 5 and has for many years been a "must" visit place in Sakon Nakhon. I don't know what the exact fascination is about but I just love the atmosphere and feel of this old teak-mansion turned coffee shop.

The coffee is great, and their cakes and small bites are savoury delicious.

2017_05_07 Sakon Nakhon-Nakon Phanom-IMG_0352-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_07 Sakon Nakhon-Nakon Phanom-IMG_0346-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_07 Sakon Nakhon-Nakon Phanom-IMG_0345-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_07 Sakon Nakhon-Nakon Phanom-IMG_0344-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Captain returns home to Thailand: May 7th, Sakon Nakhon to Nakhon Phanom

The destination for the day was set to be Nakhon Phanom and Wat Phra That Phanom. This is a very famous temple in Thailand, and Buddhists are often found traveling here for blessings and good luck. Me included.

As it is just about 95 kilometres away, the drive would take me there in the afternoon, random stops included.

Wat Phra That Phanom is the sacred precinct of the Phra That Phanom chedi, located in the district of the same name, in the southern part of Nakhon Phanom Province, northeastern Thailand. According to legend, this structure contains The Buddha's breast bone, and as such, it is one of the most important Theravada Buddhist structures in the region. It was originally built in the 16th century by the Laotian King Setthathirath of Lan Xang. Each year, a festival is held in That Phanom to honor the temple. This festival lasts for one week, during which thousands of people make pilgrimages to honor the shrine.

According to a Fine Arts Department marker on the site, it fell down in 1975, but was rebuilt with funds raised by public subscription, and from the government.

In Thai folk Buddhism, Wat Phra That Phanom is a popular pilgrimage destination for those born in the year of the Monkey.
            2017_05_07 Sakon Nakhon-Nakon Phanom-IMG_0369-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_07 Sakon Nakhon-Nakon Phanom-IMG_0371-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_07 Sakon Nakhon-Nakon Phanom-IMG_0372-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_07 Sakon Nakhon-Nakon Phanom-IMG_0374-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_07 Sakon Nakhon-Nakon Phanom-IMG_0382-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

After visiting the temple for a few hours, and feeling really blessed, it was time to find a hotel along Mekhong River, and a restaurant by the river. All so that I could keep an eye on Laos across to the other side. Maybe if I kept a vigil look out, I would also see the mythical NAGA of Mekhong River too?

2017_05_07 Sakon Nakhon-Nakon Phanom-IMG_0364 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_07 Sakon Nakhon-Nakon Phanom-IMG_0357-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_07 Sakon Nakhon-Nakon Phanom-IMG_0356-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_07 Sakon Nakhon-Nakon Phanom-IMG_0388-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Next instalment to this thread would be dated May 9th, and by then, I had made it back to Khon Kaen for a concert I was dying to see.

Comment

Nice new additions. I like the look of the coffee house. Really cozy with all that dark wood.

Comment

Nice new additions. I like the look of the coffee house. Really cozy with all that dark wood.
                Yes, I agree, Kham Hom coffee house is a must for each visit for me. I like the ambience, the feel and off course, I like their (over-)sweetened coffee drinks. The service has always been outstanding.

I have been to this coffee place absolutely every time I have been to Sakon Nakhon.

Thank you for following my journey - I know you will want to see a couple of the next images, some days ahead from this point. Trust me, the wait will be worth it, Ralf.

Comment

Captain returns home to Thailand: May 9th, Carabao Concert, Khon Kaen

So, where are we? Last time I left all of you, we were Nakhon Phanom at the banks of Mekhong River. Now, we make a jump a couple of days forward, to the next images, taken on May 9th 2017.

One thing I now deeply regret is that almost all of the images I took that time, was with the iPHONE. Hence the lack of quality and clarity. There is no doubt in my mind, the iPHONE doesn't in any way come near a DSLR when it comes to quality and sharpness.

From Nakhon Phanom I had to rush back to Khon Kaen because a friend of mine had managed to grab a couple of tickets to a Carabao concert at Tawandaeng Mahachon in Khon Kaen. This was an opportunity I wouldn't want to let go. The band is not one of my absolute favourites, but there is something charmingly interesting about them. They have been keeping at it for a long time, a very long time, and they have had many top hits through the years. They have a relatively large following in Thailand.

With the promise of tickets, I just had to return.

The club, Tawandaeng Mahachon in Khon Kaen is a massive so-called "kitchen-style" disco. There are hundreds of small round tables, each with a chair or two. You don't order drink by drink, but buy a bottle of your choice of Whiskey outside, and then when you are inside, you order a set of mixer, usually Coke, ice and/or Soda. Then you mix your drinks yourself at the table, drink and dance all through the night. The drink of choice is whiskey, coke, soda and ice (some don't like the soda).

All I can say, what an amazing night it was. I had so much fun that night.

Arriving at Khon Kaen in the afternoon:

2017_05_09 Khon Kaen-IMG_0426-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Dinner:

2017_05_09 Khon Kaen-IMG_0435 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Then, on to the concert:

2017_05_09 Khon Kaen-IMG_0430 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_09 Khon Kaen-IMG_0436-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_09 Khon Kaen-IMG_0441-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Very interesting description of the club and the drinking behaviour. I can not imagine to survive a night like this....

Comment

Very interesting description of the club and the drinking behaviour. I can not imagine to survive a night like this....
                      There was a time, many decades ago when I could enjoy places like this very much, but now, I find it harder and harder to enjoy. Different yes, enjoyable.... well, it's debatable.

But for friends, it's amazing what you are capable of accepting.

Comment

Captain returns home to Thailand: May 10th, Rest and reflection before a very long trip

After a completely fun night out, like when Iw as young, it was time to drive from Khon Kaen to a small village between there and Khorat, called But Yai. The afternoon was spent at a small temple at But Yai, talking with the monks, spending quite some time meditating and offering alms for Buddha. I also did some "drone-shots" while I was there. Now, you can't fly a drone in Thailand any more, unless you go through the long and cumbersome process of applying for a permit. If you are now caught flying, you might end up in a Thai jail, or an extremely hefty fine. Because after all, it's a security issue and if someone does anything wrong in Thailand, they surely must be foreigners. (LOL).

2017_05_10 Bua Yai IMG_0449 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_10 Bua Yai IMG_0451 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

I also spent some time doing some exercise and more rest. I was planning on making a really long drive the following day, and needed to save up some power for it. I think some of you might actually enjoy that trip as much as I did.

A park outside But Yai:

2017_05_10 Bua Yai IMG_0456 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_10 Bua Yai IMG_0465 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_10 Bua Yai IMG_0466 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

....... -> Captain returns home to Thailand: May 10th, Rest and reflection before a very long trip

Towards evening, it would be early to bed. I stayed in a very local but really OK and affordable place that night, a bungalow by a small pond with ducks. 700 Baht a night and reasonably clean, and a stone hard mattress draped in a thick plastic canvass.

2017_05_10 Bua Yai IMG_0471 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_10 Bua Yai IMG_0472 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

No, not this one, this is just the neighbourhood:

2017_05_10 Bua Yai IMG_0477 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_10 Bua Yai IMG_0478 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_10 Bua Yai IMG_0480 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

When and if you return to this thread, you will be able to see indications as to what extremely long drive I was about to start.

Comment

Captain returns home to Thailand: May 11th, heading south

I'm starting to feel like the guy who a couple of decades ago started taking out the photo-albums to any visitor that came by, pushing onto them photos from my holidays to people who couldn't care less.

Do you remember those days? Or do you remember those albums? The kindest of people payed some interests and pretended to be interested by adding a few questions. LOL.

This is the digital version of it.

During the early morning of May 11th, a very large distance of 635 kilometres would be covered: from Bua Yai to Prachuap Khiri Khan. And as if that was the whole trip, it was just a part of the entire long journey those days. By the late afternoon of May 11th, Prachuap Khiri Khan was in reach, and after a quick search, a suitable bed was found for the night.

Baan Po Pla ( or something like fish resort ) was a very nice, clean, and new place to spend the night. It was so good to get out of the car, and it didn't take long before it was all over for the day.

2017_05_12 Prachuap-Ranong rt-IMG_0493-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_12 Prachuap-Ranong rt-IMG_0495-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Captain returns home to Thailand: May 12th, continuing south to see the King

The alarm rang early on the morning of May 12th, and it was pouring rain outside. Not one of the those tiny rainy days in Norway, but a true tropical downpour. That would mean maximum speed according to the speed limit could not be maintained for a part of the first hours of the day.

But, after a few hours on the road, Chumpon had been reached, and the journey would continue westwards along the Kra Canal. The distant for the first part today would be some 250 kilometres away.

2017_05_12 Prachuap-Ranong rt-IMG_0496-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Having heard rumours of imminent scrapping at site, I was in no doubt what I would like to see before it was too late. The King had rotted away and had for the last decade not been deemed salvageable at all.

I knew at this time, that this would be the last time I would see the King. I wanted to fly my drone this time, to get the final aerial views but over private land, and without permission, I was not though enough to take the chance of ending up in custody of Thai police. This was the time when drone-laws in Thailand was starting to be extremely differently adhered to by various local districts.

This would be my farewell. May you rest in peace, finally.

2017_05_12 Prachuap-Ranong rt-IMG_0498 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_12 Kong Olav Ranong - IMG_3810 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_12 Kong Olav Ranong - IMG_3843 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_12 Kong Olav Ranong - IMG_3824 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Captain returns home to Thailand: May 12th, mission accomplished

Almost as fast as I had arrived, the mission had been accomplished. I had not made any successful progress in getting a closer look, nor did I want to be associated with the ship any longer also. This part of the trip was of a personal nature, my own time to say goodbye, and lay my eyes last time on the ship I fought so hard for.

The trip would now go back northwards, almost the same way as going south. To make a variation in the scenery, the trip would be along the coastline as much as would be possible. Dinner-stop was made at Thungwoalaen Beach in Chumpon province. This was not a first class beach and hence not so popular by the majority of foreigners, but for me and for other locals, it was a very nice place to relax, and feel the smell of the sea.

2017_05_12 Prachuap-Ranong rt-IMG_0502-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

By night fall, it was starting to become important to find the right, perfect place on the beach for the night. It wasn't easy to find the right place, for the right price at the right location. But then, at Bang Krud Beach, there was a resort with an available room. The price was 2000 THB a night, which I at the time thought was about 500 THB over the more reasonable price. But, night was fast approaching and I was really tired, it was as perfect as could be this late in the afternoon.

2017_05_12 Bang Krud Beach IMG_0523 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_12 Prachuap-Ranong rt-IMG_0509-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_12 Prachuap-Ranong rt-IMG_0506-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_05_13 Prachuap-Nakon Nayok-IMG_0529-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X