Captains travel bLOG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Captains travel bLOG. Trondheim to Hong Kong - part 1:4

Unlike a 100 years ago, when travelling to Oslo would take days, and to Finnmark might have taken even weeks prior to the opening of Hurtigruten in 1893, flying to Hong Kong takes you a lot less than a day.

Hong Kong is my absolute favourite get-away destination. I think that Hong Kong just can't be more different than Trondheim. These two cities are literally world's apart.

Over the past years, I have made many trips to Hong Kong and I keep on being sent back there again and again. I don't mind at all.

In September last year (2018), I was once again on my way, and these are some of the images taken just on the first day.

Each of my trips starts at the Coffee Lounge at Trondheim Værnes Airport, an airport which I strongly believe should have been named Hell Airport Trondheim (because of the sales-effect of the name). If you are reading this my friends at SAS, I beg you one thing.... give us a proper lounge at Trondheim. Tucked away in a tiny corner at the end of the terminal is not the biggest problem, but the selections here are just way too boring. I normally prefer the Norwegian "bolle" (wheat-bun) with raisins, but you only have plain one's. Therefore, I end up taking the raisins on the side (for the porridge), and stuff them inside my "bolle".

Otherwise, I just take the coffee and a couple of the cookies. This image when posted on my social media accounts, is a clear indication and has become a sign of things to come. A tradition. Not because the image is so superb per say but because it signifies the start of another dream for me.

2018_09_06 iPHONE-Værnes-IMG_1683 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Then, afterwards, an image from "where I belong". This is THE moment I cherish - going somewhere, and not only domestically, but to the airports beyond. This was at my first leg, heading to Oslo.

2018_09_06 iPHONE-To Oslo-IMG_1696-edited by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Then from Oslo to Stockholm, one of my favourite airports. Well, actually, I have just gotten really familiar with lots of people there, and their airport. It's not an amazing place to spend several hours but the people I meet there are always the highlight making this a great place.

In Stockholm, a big Scandinavian bird was waiting for me. LN-RKT is one of 8 Airbus 330 in the fleet of SAS. She was delivered to SAS at the very end of January 2016 and flies under the name BELE VIKING. She is also set-up with the new, extremely well appointed SAS-cabin. This aircraft is also powered by two efficient RR Trent 700 engines.

2018_09_06 SK963 to Hong Kong at ARN-IMG_2311 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Unlike many airlines around the world, they focus mainly on the features and amenities of their Business and First Class, but at SAS, they have also made a serious effort on making the economy class better. I like what they have done.

This time, I was due to try out their SAS PLUS, or economy extra to make it simpler.

SAS Plus – Enhanced comfort & service. When you travel in SAS Plus on our intercontinental flights, you enjoy wider seats in a separate cabin, extra legroom and first-class meals and entertainment.
    It's true. It's actually a very good product. After trying out this airlines different classes, I think I have found my new favourite airline. SAS used to be known for "grumpy" air hosts/esses but those days are in the past. I have only met wonderful staff on SAS on their Intercontinental flights. They are helpful, smiling and the level of service seems really consistent, but with that extra special touch sometimes. Consistent service is good for business and good for customers, as they get the same thing every time.

As with every other travel experience, some customers MIGHT off course have had a (much) worse experience than me, perhaps some negativity and experiences of bad service. But for me, every single flight with SAS over the past half decade has been nothing but absolutely amazing. And I have flown SAS Intercontinental a lot lately.

I feel that there is some familiar with SAS: it's like coming home and being taken care of every time, and I know exactly how it'll be like. It's like coming home to visit your parents place after having been away for a long time. It's exciting.

2018_09_07 iPHONE-Hong Kong-IMG_1711-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

For some reason, when I'm able to select my own seat, I normally select seats on the port side of the aircraft I fly with. But, this time, I thought I should do something lastly out of the norm, and actually select a starboard side seat.

After two small hops from Trondheim to Oslo and then to Oslo, the BIG part of the trip starts. The long jump from Scandinavia to Asia. When you settle in for the long flight, and you are speeding down the runway, there is a feeling of calm and excitement. This is perhaps the moment which is the best part of the trip. Once that long flight is over, you won't be doing it again that trip. This is a moment you will have to wait for the next time you are going to make a similar journey.

2018_09_07 iPHONE-Hong Kong-IMG_1713-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

The food on aircrafts is often a waste for me. I'm a picky eater. But this time, I actually emptied all the trays more or less. That sweet treat, the marzipan cake bun at top left, was to die for! It was so good!

2018_09_07 iPHONE-Hong Kong-IMG_1720-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

After dinner, there was time for movies and it was time for me to sit looking outside listening to classical music on my earphones. What an amazing moment... to truly die for. This is somewhere in the night, above somewhere in the world enrolee to Hong Kong.

2018_09_07 iPHONE-Hong Kong-IMG_1727-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Captains travel bLOG. Trondheim to Hong Kong - part 2:4

Eventually, a little less than a day later, I was in Hong Kong and I was ecstatic.

The entire flight had been a dream, I was rested and eager to start exploring Hong Kong again. My heart was pounding so fast after arrival that I was scared the lady before Immigration would pick up my heart frequency with her pistol-like scanner, and think I was doing something illegal. She was just looking for people with a fever and I was just so ecstatic to be back in Hong Kong again.

This time, I wanted to try something else than the usual limousine transfer from airport to hotel: taking one of the coloured taxis to my hotel in "Downtown Island Area". The driver was out of this world, driving very... efficiently, but strangely, I never felt unsafe by his driving skills. The price ended at around JK$380, well within the expected amount.

2018_09_07 iPHONE-Hong Kong-IMG_1740-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

As I arrived at the hotel early in the morning, the room would not be available for many hours. In Hong Kong I have so far never experienced to get the room this early in the morning.

Back in September last year, SAS departed from Stockholm at around 14-ish in the afternoon and lands in Hong Kong around 06-ish. The schedule is now changed to fit their "business" passengers schedules better. Departing Copenhagen at 20:55 and landing in Hong Kong the next day at 14:45.

But, I was now back in HONG KONG! Here are some images taken within the first day back in this place that I hold so dearly in my heart.

2018_09_07 EOS5D-Mongkok-Hong Kong-IMG_6812 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_07 iPHONE-Hong Kong-IMG_1766-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_07 iPHONE-Hong Kong-IMG_1768-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_07 iPHONE-Hong Kong-IMG_1762-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_07 iPHONE-Hong Kong-IMG_1754-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_07 iPHONE-Hong Kong-IMG_1753-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Captains travel bLOG. Trondheim to Hong Kong - part 3:4

This place has so much amazing food to offer, and I love trying out so much of it, but the very first thing I wanted to eat in Hong Kong, was... and I'm ashamed to say so but, it was a Signature Collection Mushroom Hamburger.

2018_09_07 iPHONE-Hong Kong-IMG_1757-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

For car-spotters, Hong Kong can be an amazing place to photograph cars, especially luxury cars. In order to get the most expensive ones, you have to go to some special areas. Around the IFC mall is a safe bet for those who wishes to see some exotics.

I have done this many times before: http://www.captainsvoyage.com/travel...hong-kong.html

2018_09_07 iPHONE-Hong Kong-IMG_1763-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_07 iPHONE-Hong Kong-IMG_1798-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_07 iPHONE-Hong Kong-IMG_1795-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

But Hong Kong is also a great place to look at art, especially in the various parks:

2018_09_07 iPHONE-Hong Kong-IMG_1779-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

... or take in the view from the Hong Kong Eye. I have a dream that we should have a Trondheim Eye too, in the port area between the dock of the coastal steamer and the cruise-pier.

2018_09_07 iPHONE-Hong Kong-IMG_1780-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Hong Kong also has these cute cats at www.salajupiter.com

2018_09_07 iPHONE-Hong Kong-IMG_1806-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

And after all that walking the first day, I had to make my day end with the incredible fresh tea's from here:

2018_09_07 iPHONE-Hong Kong-IMG_1804-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Captains travel bLOG. Trondheim to Hong Kong - part 4:4

In so many places in Asia, creativity seems to have a much stronger foothold than how I feel in Trondheim or Norway. We are slowly waking up to this too, but we are far from the creativity seen in cities like these.

Modern art doesn't need to be dull and just bronze statues of bygone heroes, it can also be colourful everyday people. Like this statue displaying a crowd of tourists in line, located outside Hong Kong Cultural Centre in Tsim She Tsui:

2018_09_07 iPHONE-Hong Kong-IMG_1794-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_07 iPHONE-Hong Kong-IMG_1789-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

PS: It's really, really hard to get a clean shot of these statues during day time, a picture without anyone in it. Really hard!

I also loved the way they decorated these electrical cabinets at Central Ferry Pier:

2018_09_07 iPHONE-Hong Kong-IMG_1784-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_07 iPHONE-Hong Kong-IMG_1783-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

I got into a total muddle this interruption-prone morning trying to write and edit a comment, while not realising pakarang was simultaneously adding wonderful new posts in one of the thread!. So I'm just going to start over, and put ALL my feedback to Captain's bLOGs together here.

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
            ….You have more information about me that I have myself. LOL... not sure if that is just hilarious or scary.
            Maybe amusing-funny kind of hilarious, but I hope not scary (as in a scary stalker) when you KNOW it's just your Lady Seagull looking after you and spending time thinking about you
            ...because you're worth it! (as they say in the L'Oreal ads )

Bangkok - Phuket on Thai Airways A330-300 HS-TEU
            It felt like a prize and reward when I realised you were posting all the images to my recollection and saved Flightradar24 screenshots of your trip! Thank you so very much!

This one remains nearly impossible for me to identify, unless someone actually KNOWS the temple below. I spent nearly 2 hours on Google Earth last night searching for a small speck of land, as well as reversed image searches.
            I don't have Google Earth to hand right now ...but your Seagull will love virtually looking down on Thailand there when she has a moment ...or many!

....give us a proper lounge at Trondheim....This image when posted on my social media accounts, is a clear indication and has become a sign of things to come. A tradition….
            Agree with the lounge location - I'd reached Eurobonus Gold Card status the last time I was in TRD, and was expecting better too. But it was early morning and I did appreciate the porridge, not just its accompaniment (I guess at least something associated with my country of residence has rubbed off on me!) . As for the Pakarang Traditional Departure Photo - ABSOLUTELY. First time I disappointed pakarang by failing to display the SAS on my coffee cup, but have learnt my lesson!

It was a business class international (ARN to EDI !) flight which caused me to re-evaluate SAS upwards in the last few years, and I am eager to experience their current long-haul product (though Thai remains high on my LHR to BKK preferences, despite sometimes changing the aircraft type at the last moment).

....I was just so ecstatic to be back in Hong Kong again....
            I know, I know, I should visit Hong Kong at least once in my life. I’ve been long avoiding doing so, but if anyone can change that it is you pakarang

I've seen and even commented on this visit of yours elsewhere, but it was a delightful surprise to see these posts here this morning. Great car-spotting. Very interesting to read your comments about art, having had art in Trondheim topics recently. I love that green leaf, and the queue of people is brilliant. But I can imagine myself hanging out there for ages in the hope of including a real person front or end of that line, perhaps looking at a map or something, and ideally seeming unaware he looked part of the sculpture story!
            And that last image reminds me of some old police boxes in Edinburgh that have found a new life as actual drinks and snacks kiosks!

Comment

Nice report!
              Yes, generally speaking - SAS is never a bad choice nowadays.

Some nice Hong Kongnian atmosphere you show us here, and also a ship that is now and then considered to be one of the best Scandinavian ferries ever.

Comment

Thank you both so very much for the comments, and thank you so much for your appreciation of my trip report.

Comment

Captains travel bLOG. Hong Kong Red Incense Burner Summit - part 1:3

If you search Internet for things to do in Hong Kong, you will quickly realise that there are so much more than the city itself, or shopping. There are numerous beaches as well as hiking trails in the surrounding hills.

I started the morning with this image of a BMW 320i:

2018_09_08 G7XM2-Hong Kong-BW320i-IMG_2329 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Passing Causeway Bay Sports Park, a popular spot for photographers in Hong Kong:

2018_09_08 G7XM2-Hong Kong-IMG_2313 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Good morning Hong Kong:

2018_09_08 G7XM2-Hong Kong-IMG_2314 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

This time, one of the big things on my list was to hike one of those jungle trails, and perhaps find a new view point where tourists normally don't go.

I chose Red Incense Burner Summit as my destination for the morning, and I actually intended to walk from my hotel near Victoria Park to Jardines Lookout (which by the way, is NO LOOKOUT viewpoint!). After negotiating the steep hills of Tai Hang Road and reaching Lai Tak Tsuen, I decided to find a taxi to take me rest of the way to Jardines Lookout. The taxi had problems finding the place I wanted to go, but after asking a local walking around Jardines, I found the start of a trail into the jungle.

Reaching Lai Tak Tsuen:

2018_09_08 G7XM2-Hong Kong-IMG_2315 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_08 iPHONE-Hong Kong-IMG_1812-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

I paid my taxi and started hiking. The helpful local caught up to me and we got into talking. His name was Victor, a true-bred Hong Kong resident, and about the same age as me. He was a CEO at a local company and traded all over the world. He spoke English very well, but was also eager to teach me Hong Kong Cantonese.

I was perhaps a little bit worried at the beginning, heading into the jungle with a person I had never seen or known from before... you know, if I would scream there, nobody would probably hear me, and I guess it would be fairly easy to hide my remains up on those hills.

But travelling is an amazing thing, and if you are open to take some chances, you will be rewarded. I was rewarded, Victor was an amazing guy to talk with and he showed me the entire way to my destination while still educating me on language, local life and his history. I will probably never forget the kindness of this man, he was so welcoming and so wonderful.

Comment

Captains travel bLOG. Hong Kong Red Incense Burner Summit - part 2:3

After a long hike, strenuous, hot and humid... I eventually reached the Red Incense Burner Summit. I would love to learn WHY this place has that name, and I guess I need to find out somewhere. I tried googling it, but end up with LOTS of images of the place, and very little history about the place. I actually intended to ask someone at the Hong Kong Museum of History, but completely forgot it while I was there some days later.

These are some of my images from the viewpoint, which is also apparently called Braemar Hill.

2018_09_08 G7XM2-Hong Kong-IMG_2316 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_08 G7XM2-Hong Kong-IMG_2318 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_08 G7XM2-Hong Kong-IMG_2319 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_08 G7XM2-Hong Kong-IMG_2321 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_08 G7XM2-Hong Kong-IMG_2322 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_08 G7XM2-Hong Kong-IMG_2325 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_08 G7XM2-Hong Kong-IMG_2323 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Captains travel bLOG. Hong Kong Red Incense Burner Summit - part 3:3

I even got Victor in one of my pictures!

2018_09_08 G7XM2-Hong Kong-IMG_2326 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_08 G7XM2-Hong Kong-IMG_2327 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_08 G7XM2-Hong Kong-IMG_2328 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Dearest Captain,
                        I know I should be following up the things you asked about Scandinavian Airways in the aviation threads, sending you any feedback I might have. Even more importantly I should be gathering my thoughts and responding to your question "What is the future of CaptainsVoyage Forum?" which you posted only after I had 'closed down' last night. (My time isn't under my control just now; tomorrow I'll be at the hospital where D starts a new drug treatment - there is a very real concern about possible side effects and he has to have someone around with him for some days initially. He'd have to stay in hospital a while otherwise.)

But at least may I have the pleasure right now of responding to your Travel bLOG latest posts and the question about the name Incense Burner Summit.

Perhaps you remember I was so thrilled to be able to follow you to some extent on Instagram during that trip, and I had been keen, as ever, to relate your photos to a map! There seemed to be a confusing number of paths and peaks on the Braemar Hill. Like you I was curious about the name Red Incense Burner Summit, and irritated when Google came up with loads of stock photos, not to mention shopping sites for purchase of actual incense burners and candle holders! But I did notice the hiking trail occasionally referred to as Hung Heung Lo Fung, - as here for example:
                        http://www.laughtraveleat.com/asia/h...g-with-a-view/

So I investigated further and found that Hung Heung Lo was an old name of Tin Hau temple (there are a lot of Tin Hau temples, but this is the one at Causeway Bay, near the MTR station of the same name.) So the place you hiked to started being referred to as Hung Heung Lo Fung - the peak behind this temple.

Moreover there is a legend that the family who built the original temple had settled in Kowloon and used to go by boat to Causeway Bay to gather grass. One day they were astonished to find an incense burner floating on the se as if by magic. Thus one of the pre-colonial names for Hong Kong was Hung Heung Lo - red incense burner island.

The temple's main altar is dedicated to Tin Hau, the goddess and 'patron saint' of seafarers, so you should visit it next time you go to Hong Kong! It is no longer on the waterfront due to land reclamation.

Comment

WOW... that was truly interesting Lady C. You managed to find a lot more information than I did. Thank you so much.

And I hope everything will work out for the best with D as well. Please send my most sincere greetings and wishes for a speedy recovery.

Comment

Captains travel bLOG: Returning to Khao Chang, Thailand. Part 1:5

Back in December of 2017, I returned to Khao Chang after not having visited the island for about a decade or so. The first time I went to this island in mid-90's, it was extremely rural with no paved roads, just a few local shops and a couple of very rudimentary bungalows in a very tropical setting on any of the many beaches. The bungalows were spread well apart and it was truly a place to relax.

You may still relax on this island today, but the atmosphere is so very different. The streets are paved, there are 7-11 convenience shops every where, even Tesco Lotus and Big C, bars and everything else you can find in other places like Pattaya or even Hua Hin.

Despite this fact, there is still something very charming to the island.

I hadn't booked any room or bungalow before traveling to the island, hoping there would be something available. I actually intended to find a place I stayed in the past, but not remembering the name of the place, nor the name of the beach, this would be an impossible task before all rooms were occupied.

I stopped by a couple of places at different beaches, but none had an actual bungalow ON THE BEACH. I just wanted to sleep hearing the sound of the waves on the beach, not the traffic on the main road.

By a gigantic stroke of luck, I did find what I was looking for, and by a stroke of gigantic luck, their last available bungalow on the beach could be mine - and even better, for a very reasonable price.

I accepted the room right away, and I would never regret. The room was perfect, just 5 steps from the beach, and yes, I could hear the sound of the waves from the room.

The name of the resort was CHAI CHET RESORT and my bungalow was numbered V04. The resort had so many rooms, bungalows and private villas, a great restaurant and a swimming pool with something as cliche as a swim-up-pool-bar (like right out of the 198's brochures). Do they still create pool today with swim-up bars?

The ferry ride out to the island is exotic in itself I think. I'm very impressed on how well everybody is able to squeeze their cars in on board, in neat lines and really tight. This is so vastly different from my own place of work, where people are absolutely not able to do the same thing. I wonder why?

After getting lost in the dark night, I eventually got to the ferry dock at 4 in the mooning and got myself a short nap before the first ferry of the day was ready to start loading cars.

The trip across to the island takes about 30 minutes+ and reminded me of those early mornings in the Caribbean Sea sailing up to for example Saint Johns with the cruise ships...

These are my images from the trip to Khao Chang and my two nights spent there. I hope you will enjoy the report, and yes, I hope I will return there again some time soon.

2017_12_11 Kho Chang - IMG_5307-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_12_11 Kho Chang - IMG_5310-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_12_11 Kho Chang - IMG_5315-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_12_11 Kho Chang - IMG_5320-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_12_11 Kho Chang - IMG_5321-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_12_11 Kho Chang - IMG_5323-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_12_11 Kho Chang - IMG_5336-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_12_11 Kho Chang - IMG_5344-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Captains travel bLOG: Returning to Khao Chang, Thailand. Part 2:5

Can't wait to drive ashore across the ramp and start exploring the island of Khao Chang.

2017_12_11 Kho Chang - IMG_5347-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_12_11 Kho Chang - IMG_5372-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_12_11 Kho Chang - IMG_5359-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_12_11 Kho Chang - IMG_5352-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_12_11 Kho Chang - IMG_5375-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_12_11 Kho Chang - IMG_5406-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_12_11 Kho Chang - IMG_5411-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Captains travel bLOG: Returning to Khao Chang, Thailand. Part 3:5

Chai Chet Resort pool:

2017_12_11 Kho Chang - IMG_5376-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_12_11 Kho Chang - IMG_5389-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_12_11 Kho Chang - IMG_5388-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_12_11 Kho Chang - IMG_5393-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_12_11 Kho Chang - IMG_5420-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_12_11 Kho Chang - IMG_5427-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X