2017_01_31 Indigo Hotel - IMG_2660 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_01_31 Indigo Hotel - IMG_2653 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_01_31 Indigo Hotel - IMG_2658 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_01_31 Indigo Hotel - IMG_2684 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Just a cute detail of the way they kept stuff in the room:

2017_01_31 Indigo Hotel - IMG_2676 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_01_31 Indigo Hotel - IMG_2673 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

#15/4: do they need a plumber to fix the light? (haha) and in #16/3 and 5, I really like that dresser, as it remind me of something out of an old silver polished aircraft. Nice pictures, J-O
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I enjoyed that bLOG/Throwback, and my favourite things are the yellow chair and 'desk' at the floor length window, the circular carpet, and the similarly colourful 'treasure chest' for the drinks stuff.

Then my memory seemed to be telling me to scroll back, and on re-reading your description of the rooftop pool, it all became clear. Of course! - You had posted a video clip, back near the beginning of vLOG.
        I eventually found the link to YouTube:-
        https://youtu.be/dCWNnVDpT_8

The marvellous thing is that in the intervening years that video has accrued over a thousand views!

I loved that video and here is what I wrote about it.
        Bangkok! That special time that's neither day nor night. That feeling of being apart and yet part of the city that never sleeps. That panning - –to and fro, to and fro - so
        soothing and yet restless at the same time, imparts a frisson, perhaps a touch edgy and mysterious. I'm caught in the spell. This has joined my all-time favourites of your videos. Far from being just another hotel pool clip, it says more than many a full-length feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
          #15/4: do they need a plumber to fix the light? (haha) and in #16/3 and 5, I really like that dresser, as it remind me of something out of an old silver polished aircraft. Nice pictures, J-O
          HAHAHAHA... plumber required to replace broken bulbs.

And yeah, I thought the exact same thing about the dresser and drawer. Reminded me about old style ocean liner suitcases, or a shiny veteran aircraft.

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
          I enjoyed that bLOG/Throwback, and my favourite things are the yellow chair and 'desk' at the floor length window, the circular carpet, and the similarly colourful 'treasure chest' for the drinks stuff.

Then my memory seemed to be telling me to scroll back, and on re-reading your description of the rooftop pool, it all became clear. Of course! - You had posted a video clip, back near the beginning of vLOG.
          I eventually found the link to YouTube:-
          https://youtu.be/dCWNnVDpT_8

The marvellous thing is that in the intervening years that video has accrued over a thousand views!

I loved that video and here is what I wrote about it.

Bangkok! That special time that's neither day nor night. That feeling of being apart and yet part of the city that never sleeps. That panning - –to and fro, to and fro - so
          soothing and yet restless at the same time, imparts a frisson, perhaps a touch edgy and mysterious. I'm caught in the spell. This has joined my all-time favourites of your videos. Far from being just another hotel pool clip, it says more than many a full-length feature.
          Thank you so very much... had completely forgotten about that short video from the hotel's pool. Thank you for remembering!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Phatthalung Band

Today, a perhaps slightly different entry to my travel bLOG here at CaptainsVoyage Forum. I would like you to meet my Thai family, my Thai brother.

Back in September last year, I attended another concert of my biggest idol and very good friend. The concert took place at Phuket (Thailand), and it was the only reason I traveled round-trip from Bangkok to Phuket.

Phatthalung Band is perhaps not the biggest and most popular band in Thailand, but they are currently the only band which sings the songs of my heart. Their music lives inside me and I know nearly all their songs by heart already. I have private shower concerts for myself each and every day of the week, and the majority of songs performed are those of Phatthalung Band.

The artists of this band are like family. I seldom meet people that makes such a big impact in my life, and that extends their most heartwarming friendships like they have done. Pong, the main singer is one of the greatest people I have ever met. He is always smiling infectious big smile, and are always polite and friendly beyond words. We are family, we are brothers from different mothers.

I have met the band several times over the past handful years, from several concerts and also privately when time permitted us to catch up.

I highly doubt any of the people roaming CVF will have an interest in this band, but just in case, this is their youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPJ...yJQrcQf2StKKfg

2018_09_14 iPHONE-Bangkok-Phuket-APJB2797-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_14 iPHONE-Bangkok-Phuket-DSIS2326-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_14 iPHONE-Bangkok-Phuket-GAWD7217-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_14 iPHONE-Bangkok-Phuket-GDPK2402-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_14 iPHONE-Bangkok-Phuket-IMG_2321-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_14 iPHONE-Bangkok-Phuket-JMRF3444-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Two last images from my visit last year in September:

IMG_2476 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_14 iPHONE-Bangkok-Phuket-IMG_2255 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

It may be "slightly different", but to me it seems absolutely natural and in no way unexpected to see this blog entry about Phatthalung Band is here in your Travel bLOG.

Everything I began to know of them is intrinsically linked with your travels, and especially so when that had involved flights in Thailand. Indeed without too much effort I could probably tell you the registration number or name of the actual aircraft that took you there!
                As you are bound to want to test me Captain , I might as well tell you that your flight to Phuket was aboard HS-TEU named Chai Buri. That's an A330, but your return was on a Boeing 777, HS-TKM Prabhasri. It probably helped that I was watching all the live TV coverage of the Singapore F1 Grand Prix those days, and so was adjusted to Asian time zones! But of course my point is that you'd done all that extra travelling specially to see your dear Phattalung family.

Also memorable to me was the trip you made in December 2017 as it was soon after I'd seen you arriving in BKK as I was leaving to fly home. You wrote in your blog about that concert too, about meeting Pong and getting a photo together - so movingly and eloquently that I quoted from it when I eventually got around (=felt brave enough)
                to post the selfie of you and me together at the airport.

I really appreciate this new blog and the most recent photos. While the last two are of course already very familiar to me you've also included some new-to-me photos of the concert, for which a big thank you.

Oh and I do already keep up with Parahut Music, although I'm not so efficient at remembering where my favourite songs are! My excuse is that I don't often have a title in English that I can make a note of.
                I do like the one at the end of this delightful film they made:-
                https://youtu.be/Yf8lNuQ6F64

Do you have an absolutely most favourite song of Phatthalung Band? I'd love to know!

Comment

OMG.... if I ever become affected with dementia (knock on wood), I will ask you for the details of my life. You have more information about me that I have myself. LOL... not sure if that is just hilarious or scary.

Yes, indeed, the Phatthalung family is a group of people that have become and are truly close to my heart and a very big part of my every day. We keep in regular contact throughout the week through message-apps and social media, as well as through various calling-apps. I respect their extremely busy schedule with concerts nearly every single night, all across Thailand, and each time we talk together, I'm feeling so thankful to have someone I consider as a family that takes time to stay in touch.

The song you refer to is the song called รักหนัดเหนียน (rak hnad hnnian) I'm not sure how to really translate that song's name in understandable English. I know what it means but are not able to find a proper and good translation. รัก (rak) means love so that's the easy part, but for the rest, there is no proper way to translate it.

When someone sings songs that are in my heart, it's hard to pick any favourite... they are all songs from my heart and therefore my favourites. I can't explain my peculiar attachment to their music: it's like someone opened the door to my heart and picked out my thoughts and put words to my feelings, my opinions and my emotions. It's almost surreal and out-of-this-world that someone actually are able to do this. And that explains my endless love and support for the group of people which confessed to me that I would forever be considered their family.

There are however a couple of absolute favourites, one reason being that these are the songs I will sing first at various karaoke bars throughout Thailand.

1) ฉันจะรักเธอเอง - I will only love you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ_A7n8ra_A

2) ใบไม้ไม่เคยหายไป - The leaves never go missing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Ss1JxQW6Y

3) ที่นี่...พัทลุง - Right here... Phatthalung: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkVYTeYXw4c

I would like to stress though, that ALL the songs are equally perfect in my ears. Nothing beats hearing them at a Live concert. I can't wait to see them all again soon.

Comment

Bangkok - Phuket on Thai Airways A330-300 HS-TEU

Back in September of 2018, I was bound for Phuket and had the pleasure of joining Thai Airways' A330-300 with registration HS-TEU, an aircraft delivered to Thai in June 2011. I love Thai Airways as a brand but have to admit that they also have quite a long way to go to reach top of the pack again. In my humble opinion they are struggling most with maintaining a consistent and constant level of service. They are also struggling with some fairly dominant cabin crew that are determined they interpret the standards set in their own unique way.

Thailand has always been famous for being a great provider of service in the past, over the years catering to millions on millions of tourists. With lots of hard work, they have all the right tools to achieve a much higher standard in the future, but fall behind again and again because of old-fashioned way of operating. There are things that need to change in culture and way of operating. Whether that is likely to happen or not, is hard for me to say. It'll just be speculations.

A friend of mine, a much, much more frequent traveller than me, asked me once if I prefer Boeing or Airbus... to which I replied I have no preference. I don't see the giant differences between those two types once I get inside, more important to me is a clean and fresh lay-out, and a very attentive staff (no matter which class you are sitting). This is where I find SAS to be outstanding, because of their selections in materials and fabrics throughout the cabin. I have never been a big fan of the big Airbus's such as the A330 for example, but the refurbished cabin on SAS is just brilliant.

For the total flying experience, the A350 is my absolutely favourite aircraft to fly with, next after the B777-300. Well, that being said, nothing beats B747 off course. I wonder if I will ever have the chance to fly a jumbo jet again(?).

A380 I have only flown three times, on Thai and in First Class. It's amazing but far from the best First Class in the world.

Anyhow... here are some images from that day starting with the reason of my flight:

2018_09_14 iPHONE-Bangkok-Phuket-IMG_2161-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

HS-TEU exterior shots made possible only because they arranged a special car to get me out to the aircraft before the busses took the rest of the passengers:

2018_09_14 iPHONE-Bangkok-Phuket-IMG_2190-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_14 iPHONE-Bangkok-Phuket-IMG_2198-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_14 iPHONE-Bangkok-Phuket-IMG_2189-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

The port side Rolls Royce Trent 700 engine:

2018_09_14 iPHONE-Bangkok-Phuket-IMG_2192-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_14 iPHONE-Bangkok-Phuket-IMG_2195-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Ready for departure from BKK to Phuket: the magical time when you are about to get ready to take off:

2018_09_14 iPHONE-Bangkok-Phuket-IMG_2205-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_14 iPHONE-Bangkok-Phuket-IMG_2207-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_14 iPHONE-Bangkok-Phuket-IMG_2209-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

"Captain, your engine is performing well" (as we head out to Gulf of Thailand over Samut Prakan):

2018_09_14 iPHONE-Bangkok-Phuket-IMG_2217-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_14 iPHONE-Bangkok-Phuket-IMG_2214-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Nothing beats flying: absolutely NOTHING!

2018_09_14 iPHONE-Bangkok-Phuket-IMG_2222-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

I have no idea, because my notes of the day is lost, where this might have been, but I suspect somewhere above the Kra Canal perhaps?

2018_09_14 G7XM2-Bangkok-Phuket-IMG_2414 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Neither do I know where this might be, but we were fast approaching Phang Pga Bay from the north:

2018_09_14 G7XM2-Bangkok-Phuket-IMG_2413 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

And in the final entry of this bLOG post, here we are crossing Phang Pga Bay on the final descent in towards Phuket International Airport:

2018_09_14 iPHONE-Bangkok-Phuket-IMG_2222-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_14 G7XM2-Bangkok-Phuket-IMG_2417 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_14 iPHONE-Bangkok-Phuket-IMG_2227-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Looking back on all of these images, particularly the next one, I'm filled with such a longing to be back in Thailand and flying again. This is where my passion lies.

2018_09_14 iPHONE-Bangkok-Phuket-IMG_2228-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_14 iPHONE-Bangkok-Phuket-IMG_2233-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                            I think I may have found the exact spot on the map in Google Earth: 8°25'43.96"N 98°39'56.99"E which places it just north east of tambon Ao Luk.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                              This one remains nearly impossible for me to identify, unless someone actually KNOWS the temple below. I spent nearly 2 hours on Google Earth last night searching for a small speck of land, as well as reversed image searches.

Comment

Sorry - I got into a complete mess editing this post earlier today, so have incorporated my comments in a later post.
                                (Am leaving this explanation here, as sometimes actually deleting a post can confuse subsequent post numbering.)
                                Last edited by Seagull; February 23rd, 2019, 17:53. Reason: ...editing issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X