Captains bLOG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Captains bLOG

I started doing the Captains bLOG on my private website www.captainsvoyage.com but because I'm so much (as in always) on the road, updating it was a true hassle. I could have done some better choices earlier on, but this is anyway the case.

I'm hoping that by continuing here, it will be more attractive and visible, and at least easier to update with new material.

I'm me, I'm a Captain, I'm a business owner of 3 businesses, and nobody can tell me that I have no clue. I may not know everything, but I try my best at everything that I do. I'm me.

I don't have any available time for people who do not wish to know me, for those that are lacking ambition and purpose, or for those that don't like the way I do things. Business is business, and time is money.

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

This will be my first Captains bLOG entry after choosing to continue here rather than on my private website. One of the reasons for doing this move is because of the logistics of making an update to the main page while “on the road”, as well as hopefully increasing the visibility online. It is my hope that the Captains bLOG will be a welcomed addition to the forum and that the entries will entertain some of the readers.

I tried starting a trend with throwback Thursday in order to show some of the images in my gigantic photo-archive… there are so many images and so many folders, I have no idea what’s inside my hard drives.

Today, Thursday it is, I wanted to make a new dive to see if I found some images taken on November 22nd of the past, and though there aren’t a lot of them, I did find some. In retrospect, I didn’t start dating all the images fully before some time between 2005 and 2007.

November 22nd in my life.

The first image is however dated November 22nd 2002, and at that day 16 years ago, I was in Oranjestad, Aruba (Netherland Antilles) with the Crystal Symphony. Together with us in port that day was also the Carnival Destiny, as seen docked behind us. I don’t have much recollection of the circumstances behind this photo, other than the fact it was taken from the rescue boat on a weekly MOB-drill. If you look closely on my ship, the Crystal Symphony, you can seen the rescue boat has been launched.

2002_11_22 Carnival Destiny & CS Aruba 2 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

In the next image, taken two years later, on November 22nd 2004, we apparently sailed in to Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. I believe we were on a cruise around South America and were on the way to the Caribbean to soon start our next world cruise, the 2005 World Cruise. Christmas cruises were usually departing from Florida to ports in the Caribbean, and sometimes ending on the west coast… Los Angeles or San Francisco, where also the world cruise would start about mid-January. From this visit to Brazil, I have absolutely no recollection or no memory of any special events, other than the usually very strict Port State Health inspection and a very strict Brazilian Coast Guard inspection. I may need to see if I can find other images taken the following days to see if they could jog my memory.

2004_11_22 Rio De Janerio -pic4 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

In the next image, a lot more younger version of me is seen in 2005 in Bangkok. According to the title of the image, I was heading to school when this selfie was produced. Since it was taken at the end of 2005, this must have been the Thai language school at Sukhumwit Road. I believe the school was called Baan Phaasaa Thai (Home of Thai language). Earlier that same year (I think), I also studied for a TOEFL-certificate and eventually graduated from Chichester College at Ramkamheng in Bangkok.

2548_11_22 To school I go in BKK 2 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Then, in an image dated November 22nd 2007, I seem to have captured the empty plot of land where building of the new shopping-mall-to-be, Terminal21, had begun. During this periode of my life, I was working as a Public Relations Manager at Plus Property, and my office was not far from this location. While working for Thailand’s largest, complete real estate agency, I had such an incredible insight in all available plots of land and all condominiums throughout the capital. It was truly an amazing time and experience to add to my life, though I also remember missing life at sea from time to time.

2007_11_22 Bangkok Update 2 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

The second image from November 22nd 2007, I just had to add it… because I look so incredibly young at the time. It’s an image taken by PT Noi, my personal trainer at California Fitness. It’s so great to know that we still keep in touch despite living on the other side of the earth, and despite all the time that have passed. I have met many people in my life, some stay friends forever despite up's and down's and some choose to leave at first hint of obstacles. In my life, the best friends I've had are all Thai, and they have remained for lagre part so fly life. Norwegian friends are extremely few, near NIL. I actually don't have any Norwegian friends right now, other than colleagues from work. I have a lot of Thai friends though. I don't know if that says something good or bad about me, or about others.

2550_11_22 At California Fitness by PT NOI by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

A year later, I’m clearly back in Norway, and on that date, it seems like I’m at Rørvik in a cold, winter setting. The image was obviously taken at the breakwater of the harbour at Rørvik, looking across the harbour. I don’t have so much information that I’d like to add to this image, other than that this time of my life was probably the absolutely hardest time of my entire life - for a number of reasons. I was not doing well during this time, recovering from my second encounter with dengue fever in less than 10 months and dealing with the passing of my mother. Not too long ahead of this image, I was just about ready to walk into the infamous bright light to meet my mother again. In 2008, I had also just moved from Thailand and back to Norway - and the transition from my life before to my life ahead in Norway, was extremely hard. It still causes a lot of uneasy distress with me, when thinking about all that happened during those though years.

2008_11_22 Rorvik PIC2 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

The next image, taken on November 22nd 2014 - just four years ago, it looks like I was out walking in winter-climate. The sun appears to have set, and from the image, it really looks like it was a very cold day. I do not remember anything from that day, heck, I don’t even remember what happened last week!

2014_11_22-WALK-IMG_7415 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

In the final image, taken exactly one year ago, I was obviously on duty at Korsfjord, and it appears as if we had to sail to town (for some reason) to load our weekly dose of LNG Methane gas. Perhaps it was to kick off the Christmas gift shopping? Korsfjord is seen docked at Kai 7, Pier 2 (quay 7, pier 2) up in Nidelven River, across from the main fire station boat landing. I can also see that snow hasn’t arrived yet one year ago.

2017_11_22-GASbunkering in town-IMG_3965 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Memories of the past.

Today, I posted an image taken in Barcelona, Spain, during summer of 1992 on Facebook. The image I posted was taken whilst at gangway security duty during the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona. For the entire duration of the olympic games, my ship, the Royal Viking Sun, served as a hotel ship and base camp for NBC.

As far as I remember, NBC was also in charge of the entire ticketing system to all the events. Any unsold tickets would therefore be handed to the crew on board. Also, Canon sponsored all crew members with free 35m film (for taking pictures - no, we didn't have digital cameras back then), as well as free(?) development of the pictures. I took a LOT of images during those 3 weeks in Barcelona.

Back to the image I posted on Facebook (and I'm not a regular there yet, after my 3 years away from FB). Within the next couple of hours, the image had gained more than 100 likes - making me truly believe people really love looking back at my life with me. Also, one of the comments on that very image - from the wife of a colleague of mine from that time, made me go to the basement and get one of the photo albums out of the box, and scan a couple of the images. I knew I had a picture of her husband and me together, taken in the Chilean fjords.

These two images were taken on the roof of the tender whilst the RV Sun was navigating the Chilean fjords. The reason for this parallell sailing was that the famous ship-photographer Harvey Lloyd was taking (spectacular) shots of the Royal Viking Sun (for the Royal Viking annual cruise atlas), and we (the tender-boat) served as his platform. At this time, I was an AB on board I think. AB means an Able Bodied seaman, in case you are not too familiar with the ranks of deck department.

This must have been some time in November 1991 (possibly as early as November 1990).

I thought these images serve as a testament to a wonderful time of my life, a time I would never have been without.

199x_11-Chilean Fjords-Rodolfo Marasigan-02 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

199x_11-Chilean Fjords-Rodolfo Marasigan-01 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Dear J-O, thank you for posting these images. It is a good idea to do a retrospective of a particular day with surprising rememberance of different perios in your life. Very inspiring!
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
          Dear J-O, thank you for posting these images. It is a good idea to do a retrospective of a particular day with surprising rememberance of different perios in your life. Very inspiring!
          My pleasure Ralf.

Life is such a wonderful thing, and with old images, that experience is so much better. Things normally would have been forgotten, people and experiences would have become lost, but with photographs, they come alive and will be remembered. I see it myself, people I have an image of, are those that I remember for the most part. But the experience becomes so much more detailed with the help of a photograph.

Look at the bright side, find positive in everything we do, and move on.

Happy Loy Krathong

Today is the full moon of November, and that means Thailand is celebrating Loy Kratong. They actually did yesterday, but full moon actually falls in the night between yesterday and today.

Loi Krathong (Thai: ลอยกระทง, pronounced [lɔ̄ːj krā.tʰōŋ]) is a Thai festival celebrated annually throughout the Kingdom of Thailand and in nearby countries with significant southwestern Tai cultures (Laos, Shan, Mon, Tanintharyi, Kelantan, Kedah and Xishuangbanna). The name could be translated as "to float a basket," and comes from the tradition of making krathong or buoyant, decorated baskets, which are then floated on a river.

Loi Krathong takes place on the evening of the full moon of the 12th month in the traditional Thai lunar calendar, thus the exact date of the festival changes every year. In the Western calendar this usually falls in the month of November. In Chang Mai, the festival lasts three days, and in 2018, the dates will be 21 - 23 November.

In Thailand, the festival is known as "Loi Krathong" (ลอยกระทง). Outside Thailand, this festival is celebrated under different names, including India as the "Kartik Poornima" or "Tripurari Poornima", Myanmar as the "Tazaungdaing festival", Sri Lanka as "Il Full Moon Poya" and Cambodia as "Bon Om Touk".
          IMG_1609 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Since I do not have many Loy Kratong images in my collection, this is about the only one I found... an image dated November 16th 2005. Not quite sure where I went to celebrate that year, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this was at the arts and crafts center in Ayutthaya.

2548_11_16 Loy Krathong in Ayutthaya 2 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

It's Thursday again in Trondheim....

- and probably elsewhere in the world as well. I have made a head-first dive into one of my gigantic digital photo-archives again, and even though I didn't start making file-names with the date of the image until some time around 2004-2005, I have been able to find a couple of images from earlier times.

There are also clearly some images with a wrong date too. Because in the first image dated November 29th 2003, I'm in the Falkland Islands with the Crystal Symphony. There is also another image on the same hard drive dated the exact same day, but in Fort Lauderdale. I believe the correct date on the Fort Lauderdale-image should be December 29th 2003 (2003_12_29).

But, back to the Falklands... what an amazing day we had there. I remember driving the tenders on a overcast day with temperatures at a pleasent level, not too cold, not too hot. I also remember we had some kind of issue at arrival, but not exactly what the issue was. It might have been a medical disembarkation or it might have been some issues with anchoring or our arrivals procedures. Nothing major clearly, as I can't remember anymore. On this day, we also tendered to a special beach to pick up guests that had been out off-roading with Land Rovers.

2003_11_29 CS in Port Stanley - Falkland Island - PIC 03-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

A year later, nearly the same continent. On November 29th 2004, we had just arrived at Montevideo in Uruguay, when the Andrea came in to port and coked right in front of us. As far as I remember, we had a crew drill that day also, hence I was tied up in every direction. But I seem to remember visiting the Andrea on board, but can't find any images of my on board visit.

2004_11_29 Andrea at Montevideo Uruguay -PIC05-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Three years later, I was in Bangkok. During that time, I was working as the Public Relations Manager of Plus Property in Bangkok - a subsidiary of Thailand's largest complete real estate agency, Sansiri. The picture from November 29th 2007 is of the Erawan Shrine in Pathumwan district of Bangkok.

2007_11_29 Bangkok Update PIC50-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Two years further down the road, on the same date in 2009, I was apparently attending the lighting ceremony for the Trondheim city square Christmas tree. What do I remember? Not much actually. But it was biting cold, and I was suitably and clearly incorrectly dressed for the weather.

2009_11_29 Trondheim106-edit by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Eight years further down the road again, and we arrive at November 29th 2018 in much warmer climate: in Bangkok, Thailand. Last year, at this very day, I had just arrived at Bangkok and was looking overmuch forward to 2,5 weeks of busy and fun days. This is MY Bangkok - the Bangkok I will forever miss and love.

2017_11_29 Evergreen Place-IMG_4837 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

As a bonus, here is an additional image clearly taken in 2007 on November 29th. Looks like the first CaptainsVoyage Forum has already seen the first light.

2550_11_29 GDP 3209 PIC 4 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

• Sterkoder
              Sterkoder commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice update, even though it contains pictures from the past.
              Now, they must be very proud of their tug there, in #6/2 ?

• Frankp
              Frankp commented
              Editing a comment
              A good photo of Bangkok, it does not resemble the Bangkok that I knew. I lived in Bangkok for six months June to November in 1969, at that time there was not any large skyscrapers I think that the highest building was the Nora Hotel maybe 15 or 20 floors, there were no bridges over the river at that time, if you wanted to cross the river you went by boat. Like you I have some great memories of Bangkok after all I was only 20 years old.

Cheers Frank
              Last edited by Frankp; November 30th, 2018, 14:15. Reason: text

Thank you so much for your kind comment, Sterkoder.

Yeah, you noticed the tug on the brake-water as much as I did.

I really don't remember the background story, but found this:

This old steam-powered wooden-hulled tugboat (name unknown) was retired to a place of honor at the head of the harbor breakwater in Montevideo, Uruguay.
            Source: Displayed at the head of the harbor breakwater in Montevideo, Uruguay by BillGraf, on Flickr

Comment

• Sterkoder
              Sterkoder commented
              Editing a comment
              I must say, you made it quite easier to follow your bLOG now that you moved it in here.
              Then, about that tug; it is exactly what happen here in Kristiansund, where we put one old sundbåt on dry land to honor it and show it to visitors (S/B NORDSUND by the Thon Hotell Innlandet). Today it looks just like this tug, weather torn, neglected and in a bad condition. It's such a shame!
              The thing with the sundbåt is that it is privately owned, but stand there, in that poor condition, in the colors of the Sundbåt Company.
              It's a big question why they accept that.
              Anyway, I enjoy following your bLOG now, and as I pointed out, glad you made it easier ;-)

• pakarang
              pakarang commented
              Editing a comment
              Than you so much for that Sterkoder!

Not only easier for readers, but also easier for me to update and maintain. No need to update with FTP client and now, I can update practically anywhere in the world (before it had to be done from home computer only).

I understand your sentiments about the retired sundbåt: I saw it myself during my last visit there, and it was not a pretty sight. It's a shame. At some point down the line, the cost of upkeep and maintenance will outweigh the reasons to do it. That might not be too far away.

Wow. Impressing variety of places on that days, but through the years. So it is very good to have pictures, otherwise we would not be able to remember so much of the old stories. An amazing what Harald Jarl has seen as Andrea and now Serenissima!!
            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
              Wow. Impressing variety of places on that days, but through the years. So it is very good to have pictures, otherwise we would not be able to remember so much of the old stories. An amazing what Harald Jarl has seen as Andrea and now Serenissima!!
              Totally agree with you Ralf. Without pictures, there is no way in the world I would be able to describe - or remember - some of the many experiences I've had in my wonderful life. I remember Andrea sailing past us that day - it was one of the first times I had seen the ship after becoming Andrea. I would see her again many more times around South America in the months after that - even in Antarctica.

Also, as I said before, the people I have a picture of, are those that I remember the best too. Chatted with a friend of mine yesterday, about taking pictures of friends around us as well as family. In my earlier working years, I was often asked "why do you want to have or take my picture?" and "what are you going to do with my picture".... especially by Norwegians. Filipinos (Asians) however, was much easier to photograph without intentions being questioned. Times have certainly changed now - as literally everybody has some sort of camera. I do however occasionally, get a clear message by (older generation) people, that they do not want me to include them in any photos. In the end, I more or less stopped taking pictures of people.

Comment

Here is my catch-up, Captain.

Since the day our paths crossed, I've always followed what is now called your bLOG in whatever form and name, and wherever you placed it. So in a fanciful kind of way it feels like some kind of a reward that this latest incarnation happens to have begun on the 22nd of November! Which is of course St Cecilia’s Day - aka LadyC Day!
                (I like how my name day falls close to Loy Krathong, and that my actual birthday falls close to Songkran!)

Anyway, as a result of my past diligence it is not surprising that many of your images and their stories are familiar, but I must mention a couple that I have not seen before. Notably, there is Andrea from back in 2004, and I can imagine how thrilled "the boy who loved hurtigruten" must have felt to see his Harald Jarl far away in South America.

The 'bonus photo' of you is also new to me. By then I had come across the original forum while searching hurtigruten info (although it had taken me a few months to pluck up courage to join and actually post anything!). From that time in Thailand before so much changed in your life, I actually have more memories of your writing than images. It seems to me that your writing has changed a bit since then, rather like your photography 'style' has gone on to evolve through the years.

So I love seeing that portrait at the computer to match with my memories of your writing at that time. You had a thread called Main Page in the forum (as well as the actual Main Page itself), and wrote often quite long, chatty, diary-style posts. I recollect your pleasure in day to day things, rainy days, your work, friends hung out with, films seen and coffee consumed, though there was also an occasional fleeting "I miss Norway".. But, perhaps more significantly, emerging thoughts about resigning from your job, a yearning for the life at sea, and thoughts of applying for work aboard Fram.
                Before a couple of tiny insects changed everything.

These writings survived a while, thanks to one of those www Wayback Machine archives, and I must have spent hours re-reading them in retrospect - until the eventual final demise of Forummer.

Comment

Hi Jan-Olav
                  It was a good move to move the blog here.
                  Easier to follow updates, new pictures with stories, etc. when one is on CVF.
                  Thank you

Comment

Thank you both for the comments, and yes, I agree, this should be a lot easier for both my readers and myself. Best part, I can update from anywhere, and are no longer restricted to home computer.

Future is bright!

Ahaaa... so you noticed the Saint Cecilia day! I kind of knew nothing would get by you, Lady C.

Oh, I was very excited to see the Andrea that time: as mentioned, I think it was the first time I saw her again after leaving her Harald Jarl livery. I remember also sending that image to newspapers in Norway, such as Adressa and a couple of others.

Pity I didn't keep or save any of the earlier writings because by now, I have no idea what it was like and what I wrote about. Perhaps it's for better that all is gone. LOOOL

Yeah, I was missing life at sea that time, after all, I had been seriously spoiled sailing on world cruises. But right now, I'm looking back at the Public Relation Manager-days as wonderful days, and extremely interesting and educational. That is how I remember those days now, and that is how I want to remember those days as well. I do remember intending to apply for a job on Fram, and I think I also applied for a job on board, but never got around to go through with it. I was too connected in Bangkok. I was rooted. Once Bangkok gets under your skin, it's really difficult to leave - well, until a couple of pesky insects forces you to do something.

Comment

Working...
                    X