Captains bLOG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Clipper...

With LNG I was referring to Liquid Neutral Gas.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Throwback Thursday: Doing it differently today

I have made the throwback Thursday in a different way and in a different post today... check out my travel bLOG:

http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...ns-travel-blog

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Throwback Thursday: I have had a wonderful life.

In so many ways, I have lived a most wonderful life and have been extremely fortunate to meet and get to know so many people at all levels and stages of life. I can now sit back and reminisce on these days, fully aware that they don't need to be ending. My quest for more adventures and my passion in travelling gets stronger and stronger every year - almost like a curse.

With my current situation tied up in work on all fronts, I don't get to do all the journeys I want to do. At the same time, being fully aware that many people doesn't even get the chances I do. I also work with people that does not want to travel outside of their own county. These are people I just can't understand, I just can't comprehend why someone doesn't want to experience all the wonderful things the world has to offer and all the amazing people and their stories yet to discover. But, at the same time, I respect their thoughts... we can't all be alike.

For me, given the right opportunity, I would always be on the move, always travelling - there is no peace anywhere for my restless soul.

Clearly, working on cruise ships from a very young age didn't help this problem at all.... my work made the problem even bigger for me as I have grown older. The passion and the need to constantly "go somewhere" is disturbingly getting worse and worse... and I have no clue how to cure it.

In the first image on this Thursday, I take you back to the years of my life which I consider some of the best. My only regret from these years is that we didn't have digital cameras and the technology we have today. Imagine if we had the digital cameras of today, with their impressive qualities, I would have photographed (documented) every single thing on board the SS Norway. Back then, with film rolls holding a maximum 24 or 36 images, and with the cost of the film and development, each image was a once-in-a-liftetime-chance. Each image was precious, and came at a cost.

1994_Possibly 94-IMG_0564 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

The second image that I treasure a lot is also from the mid 90's, possibly 1997 though I'm not entirely convinced. It was taken on the roof of a speeding local up-country bus heading to a remote provincial settlement in Thailand. Even that has changed dramatically now: these buses are extremely rare, these practices are now rare (travelling on the roof of a speeding bus), and these up-country settlements now all have paved roads fit for even cars. Back then, it was different.

In fear of sounding like an old chap: "everything was better before".

1997-Ubon-IMG_3667 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Throwback Thursday: mixed variety

Well, it's Thursday again, for a few hours more. I'm starting to have serious doubts as if this is something people actually want to hear about, or at all see, but I have anyhow made a small jump into my digital files and found some photographs from the past that I'd like to share.

The first image I would like to share is take a little more than a year back, while I had a chance to meet up with what I consider my closest Thai family. We were by a coincidence at the same place in Thailand, at nearly the same time. They were heading to (or from?) a concert, and I was at a beach just south of Hua Hin. The day was February 15th last year, 2018.

As we keep regularly in contact by phone, they decided to make a small detour to meet up for a chat, and a cup of coffee. I was ecstatic to meet them all again, as described earlier today in my Captains travel bLOG. It was such a wonderful meeting and happy moment for me, and their friendliness is unlike anything I have ever experienced previously in my life.

2018_02_15 PhattalungBand-TUHR9201 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Exactly one year ago today, on February 21st 2018, I also returned from one of my many trips to Hong Kong. After arriving at home, and as soon as the suitcase had been emptied, I headed out to get some fresh air into my lungs - after all, I had been sitting on my rear end for a considerable long time and had lots of energy had built up. I needed to release that, and what better way than to have a walk outside?

2018_02_21 ME-Walking-IMG_1742 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

I also found another image, taken 3 years back... it seems like I was at Værnes on February 21st 2016 to photograph an ANTONOV aircraft. I vaguely remember it was here to pick up military equipment after a large military exercise(?).

2016_02_21-antonov-enva_med_hr by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Heading a little further back in time, to 2015, here is an image of me trying to teach someone else Thai.... like me, decades ago, I gave up learning Thai probably as many times as I have fingers on both hands, and luckily, I started up again about as many times as I quit... Thai is NOT an easy language to speak, read and write... but I'm thrilled that I today are still able to do all of that fluently.

2558_02_21-Home-IMG_8574 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

oops ...having started replying to your travel bLOG early yesterday evening I got interrupted (story of my life at the moment) and only posted it this lunchtime ...by which time I hadn't realised you'd also posted here in the bLOG later last night! Today I felt guilty when that starts with "serious doubts" and stuff ...not to mention me not being quick enough to even press Hello when you were live this morning.
            Anyway, just looking at this Phatthalung family photo has cheered me up. (and btw I was away in Burma at the time of that photo!)

Moving rapidly on, I love seeing the technology that brings me those live walks.

The Antonov was a great spot from Værnes.

And then that last image.
            Me communicating in my native English can be difficult sometimes, (not to mention having had to struggle with French at school). All our non-native-English CVF family members amaze me with their language skills and ability to communicate in English. But here is something totally off the scale. What a brain ...you are genius Captain.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
              oops ...having started replying to your travel bLOG early yesterday evening I got interrupted (story of my life at the moment) and only posted it this lunchtime ...by which time I hadn't realised you'd also posted here in the bLOG later last night! Today I felt guilty when that starts with "serious doubts" and stuff ...not to mention me not being quick enough to even press Hello when you were live this morning.
              Anyway, just looking at this Phatthalung family photo has cheered me up. (and btw I was away in Burma at the time of that photo!)

Moving rapidly on, I love seeing the technology that brings me those live walks.

The Antonov was a great spot from Værnes.

And then that last image.
              Me communicating in my native English can be difficult sometimes, (not to mention having had to struggle with French at school). All our non-native-English CVF family members amaze me with their language skills and ability to communicate in English. But here is something totally off the scale. What a brain ...you are genius Captain.
              hahahahaha... + OMG = ehhhh....

I remember vaguely the day of the Antonov at Værnes... I remember I nearly got frost bites on my fingers because I forgot my warm gloves in the car. I was ecstatic to witness the landing of that gigantic whale of an aircraft so the trip was anyhow well worth the time, despite the freezing temperatures.

Languages has always been a great passion of mine, the first foreign language for me was German, Russian and Spanish. Later on I added on several Asian languages, including Thai, Vietnamese, Filipino (Tagalog and Bisaya) as well as Indonesian. A doctor told me once that my condition actually has a name: hyperpolyglott. These days, I can still converse in Tagalog and Indonesian, but my main language remains Thai. I guess that is the reason I state that I'm "... a (former) hyperpolyglott ..." in my work resume.

Comment

Working...
              X