Captains bLOG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throwback Thursday: Lissi - never forgotten

When I connected my external hard drive containing my entire photo-library, and entered "_12_27" quite a few images came up. I have for the past 10-12 years been numbering all my images in the same format: "YYYY_MM_DD-....."

Of all the images that showed up, there was particularly two that stood out in my eyes: two images taken three years apart, of the cat "Lissi".

At the time of the first image, I was still living in Thailand and was "home" in Norway visiting family. My mother was also still alive this time. This cat meant a lot to my mother, she loved her from the first time she came to her. She came as a kitten and I remember how proud my mother was of the cat, and how much she loved Lissi. Each time she sent me a letter (e-mail was not yet the "common" way of communicating), there would always be a handful images of the cat. Some may say we didn't have much to talk about, but we did... letters were however a difficult way of one-way communication. You would ask a question and have to wait for weeks before you got a reply.

Needless to say, my mother loved Lissi - and therefore, I also loved the cat. Coming home to visit my mother, and to play with Lissi, was such a great time for me. It still pains me to think of those most wonderful times.

When my mother passed, the cat meant even more to me on subsequent visits. She was sort of the connection to my mother: she lived on through the cat.

Anyone having had a cat, I think will easily understand the emotions surrounding their cat. I will never forget Lissi, she was a most wonderful pet not only for me, but also for my late mother.

Sadly, a short time later, the cat's health deteriorated quickly and realising she was in severe pain, we had to euthanise her. That was truly an extremely though thing to do. I can still feel the pain, and sadness.

Not to forget, the tribute to Lissi I made and uploaded to my OLD Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0h8LpJsRec

2005:

2005_12_20 Lissi the Cat 1 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2005_12_20 Lissi the Cat 3 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2005_12_27 Lissi the cat 5 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2007:

2007_05_01 Lissi 4 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2008:

2008_12_27 Rorvik and Maroy 17 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

She was also featured in a previous 365-image project of mine, back on day 271/365 in 2011:

Day231-2011_12_17Lissi-2yrsAnn-6yrsagoOn20-12 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• janihudi
      janihudi commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats a nice kittycat.
      Nice long fur.

• Seagull
      Seagull commented
      Editing a comment
      What a marvellous (meow-vellous!) Throwback Thursday!
      I remember that choice for your 366 project, and how emotional that second anniversary felt. It is good to have that image back now though, a comforting feeling.
      Lissi featured in "Summer Once a Year" too, and I just had to go back to watch that also.

• nari
      nari commented
      Editing a comment
      What a lovely cat... good that you managed to enjoy each other for what seems like quite a long time. Cats are special to me...we once had 10 cats of mixed breeds, but it was the pure breds like Abyssinians (I had two) who had short lives due to diseases. So I do not have any desire to get another Abyssinian....sadly. My 20 year old ginger fellow is still going.....

Thank you so much everyone. Needless to say, I'm a cat-person. Never cared much for dogs. I looked after a beautiful and kind dog whilst in nautical school to play for a really cheap house to stay. The owners of the house went to the US for a year, and I looked after their dog It was a great year, but I'm still a cat-person.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

An impromptu throwback.

Having missed quite a few throwback Thursdays lately, I kind of felt that I had to throw those that are interested an impromptu throwback even though it's now an early Tuesday morning.

I made a quick check of my computer, not my external hard-drive (because it wasn't connected), and got a few results that I could share with you all.

January 8th by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

I'm not entirely sure that the dates of these images are completely correct, but they are saved with this date as file name. as meticulous as I am, that kind of annoys me, but there is nothing I can do to recover the correct date - if they are wrong in the first place.

The two first that showed up are from Roadtown, Tortola (Caribbean Sea), and shows the yacht SHANDOR...

2004_01_08 Shandor in Roadtown Tortola - P3 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

The next one is supposedly from the same day, showing a rusty trawler, but now on the Dutch side of Phillipsburg, Saint Maarten.

2004_01_08 Trawler at Saint Maarten by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

A year later, it APPEARS as if I was in Saint Maarten again, on the Dutch side called Phillipsburg... I'm not entirely sure this is correct information... I actually KNOW this is not the correct date.

2005_01_08 Costa Classica 2 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

- yacht of Bill Gates (?) - the Octopus:

2005_01_08 Octopus at Saint Maarten -7-11 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2005_01_08 Philippsburg Saint Maarten -3 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

When 2006 arrived, on January 8th, I apparently made my way southwards in Thailand, passing Prachuap Khiri Khan:

2006_01_08 Prachuap Khiri Khan3 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

• Tommi
        Tommi commented
        Editing a comment
        The 8th seems to have been a very lucky day when it comes to photography - lots of good shots!

An impromptu throwback - part 2 of 2:

Later that same night, I had an accident with my Toyota Hilux at the island of Phuket

2006_01_08 Bangkok - Phuket 3 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2006_01_08 Bangkok - Phuket 6 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

12 years ago, on January 8th 2006, I looked exactly like this during a lunch at Bang Sak beach in Khao Lak, Thailand:

2549_01_08 Dinner at Bang Sak Beach Khao Lak 1 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Next, is a bigger step to 2012 in Trondheim, Norway:

2012_01_08-Trondheim-IMG_6382 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2012_01_08-Trondheim-IMG_6340 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

In 2014, I grabbed this image of my Christmas tree decoration, I guess before the tree was tossed out after Christmas:

2014_01_08-TRD-IMG_1698 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

I enjoyed those throwbacks. Those featuring Thai beaches made me think again of your wonderful video "Cha Am" that is no longer on Vimeo. {If you ever come across it while perusing your hard drives, and have time to spare, you know what to do! )

The ones of Trondheim - what I called "Trondheim in blue and gold", feels like a recent memory, but really isn't

Comment

Throwback Thursday - it's Thursday again tomorrow (or in just 2,5 hours)

I have been thinking about sharing these images again last month, but work and other commitments got into my way again and again. So is life sometimes.

These images were most likely taken some time back in December 2009, when Fjord1 had arrived with some of their ferries in anticipation of a tender hand-over at Flakk-Rørvik outside of Trondheim. Now we are 8 years down the road, and Fjord1 has handed back the route to FNS. The gap in technology from the old Fosen to Lagatun and Munken is quite dramatic.

I had served on Fosen about 14 months that time, and was extremely excited to travel to Poland to pick up the brand new K. At the time, state-of-art in terms of technology and environmental progress. Today, we have leaped even further ahead by stepping on to plug-in hybrid-battery ferries.

As you can see, there was a huge mix-n-match in the start up months: Volda, Svanøy, Fosen and naturally Trondheim. Apparently, there were 7 or 9 ferries from F1 up here during the first year of operation.

IMG_0032 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

IMG_0028-COPY by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

IMG_0025 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

IMG_0022 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

IMG_0016 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

IMG_0006 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Norwegian Salmon Festival in Bangkok

During my last visit, while looking for food around my old office, I ended up in the basement of Terminal 21 shopping mall at Sushi Den. Nothing beats sushi I thought.

Waiting for the green light at Asoke and Sukhumwit intersection. A few hundred meters up this street, on the left side, you can still find my former office while I was working in Bangkok as a Public Relations Manager.

2018_09_13 iPHONE-Bangkok-IMG_2037-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Sukhumwit Road has evolved tremendously since the first time I walked these streets, and this area. Sukhumwit Road is off course not the only street I see great change over several decades. This is perhaps the fascinating thing with Bangkok, it literally never sleeps.

2018_09_13 iPHONE-Bangkok-IMG_2039-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

One of the reasons I chose Sushi Den this time was that at lunch time, at most malls in Bangkok, there are long lines for people of nearby offices grabbing a lunch together with colleagues. There are no "matpakke" (food brought from home) here, and you don't eat alone. You always have a friend to share your meal with. Friendships, including friendships with colleagues, are close here in South East Asia.

At Sushi Den there was no line this time. Easy choice.

While inside at my part of the long table, there was an advertisement with a picture from Norway: Norwegian Salmon Festival. Support Norway, eat Norwegian Salmon in Thailand!

2018_09_13 iPHONE-Bangkok-IMG_2045 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_13 iPHONE-Bangkok-IMG_2048-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_09_13 iPHONE-Bangkok-IMG_2051-EDIT by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Looks tasty ...and made me smile! - A very pakarang "One heart two countries" Bangkok experience indeed! ... or 3 if you include Japan!

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                Looks tasty ...and made me smile! - A very pakarang "One heart two countries" Bangkok experience indeed! ... or 3 if you include Japan!
                Yes, off course, 3 including Japan.

I watched a documentary on TV (the telly) last week, about and from Japan. Ohhhh... I want to go there this year - number one on my list!

Comment

Throwback Thursday: 20 years after NCL

It's almost unreal, but this January marks 20 years since I left Norwegian Cruise Lines. I no longer remember the exact date in January 1999, I last signed off, but I'm sure it was during the two first weeks of the year. I had just sailed the Norwegian Majesty from Miami via Cap Verde to (try) bunkering fuel, to Bremerhaven in Germany, empty from guests, but fully laden with contractors. The ship was to be cut in two and lengthened during an ice-cold winter in Europe.

I don't remember too much that is considered "suitable" writing about, but I do remember a very violent storm setting us back several days on the crossing, and that we had to divert to Cap Verde to get more fuel. The weather at the island was however way too windy, and we were forced to steam onwards at slow speed to Germany. I seem to recall that at the end of the voyage, we were running the engines on the memory of fuel in the tanks.

Cutting had already started on the crossing, and the tearing-out-part was in full swing. The top-deck was completely packed with trash of all kinds. There were also quite a few containers on all open decks, filled with tools of the trade for various contractors.

We arrived in Germany late at night, it was freaking cold and dark. A climate shock for most of us. Me included. After all, we had cruised the autumn away in a 3 and 4 day service out of Miami to Nassau, and to Key West. The exact itinerary I can't remember anymore.

I had been well overdue for vacation when we arrived at Germany. A normal shift back then was 13 weeks on/off. I had been on board since early to mid June. From June to January 1998, I had hopped between the Leeward, Norway, Norwegian Star and ending up on the Norwegian Majesty.

When we arrived at Germany, all lifeboats had to be launched and taken to a special dock. After arriving at this dock, we had to wait in the lifeboats for the ship to enter the dry dock and get a gangway out. The wait was very long for all of us, and VERY COLD. I remember we sitting around the lifeboats tiny engine warming ourselves on the heat escaping.

A day or two later, it was enough for me, and I signed off the ship never to return again. During my first week off the ship, I had landed a temporary job with THAI, and didn't even look back once.

1999_01_25 VG by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2541_018-00 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Happier days.... while we were still sailing out of Miami.... BTW, that guy has a birthday today, and this image was also sent to him. We still keep in touch and he is a wonderful and good friend.

2541_022 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

This was most likely New Years Evening on board, celebrated with this wonderful colleague which I still remember till this day. Her name was Olga, and she was Greek.

2541_034 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2541_040-1 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2542_000-0-1 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

After leaving Norwegian Majesty and NCL, I was engaged in Thailand to my next assignment.... Undoubtedly, 1999 was one of the really best years of my life, EVER!

Phuket was still my home, and this was the first year of truly extensive air-travel all across the Thai network.

Back then, Phuket was also an amazing tropical paradise. Before overcrowding, before streets got clogged by cars and motorcycles, and before the organised rip-off of tourists started. Phuket was amazing!

2542_073 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2542_085 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2542_093 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Impressing pictures of a period,when you changed your life massively. That makes me think about similar periods with big changes in my life, too. Thank you for posting!
                      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                        Impressing pictures of a period,when you changed your life massively. That makes me think about similar periods with big changes in my life, too. Thank you for posting!
                        Thank you so very much for dropping by and for your comment.

Yes, it was a big change of direction in my life, and as you know, it wasn't the only big course change for me. In retrospect, this was THE change that had the greatest impact on my life. I was so happy throughout 1999, it was just a fabulous year making so many great friends and making so many connections in Thailand. I do however remember that I was very young this time and with so much money in hand, I did a couple of investments locally in Phuket which also could have sent me off in life in a totally different direction.

But the plan for me wasn't the way I thought it would be, and in early September 1999, I joined Crystal Cruises.

Comment

Working...
                        X