Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Captains Journey August 2017 Sudharma

Dear all best friends and family of CVF,

As usual, just before I set out on a long journey, my main page and FTP-client acts up with technical issues. The past week, I have been working really hard on my main website as well - uploading changes and updates have been a really big pain in the "somewhere". Like last time, a week before I was due to fly to SE Asia, I got problems within the same category. This time, FileZilla and Cyberduck just didn't want to upload only the changes made to the main page, but the whole 4.6 Gigabytes of it. Even after just changing a comma or a single letter, the update required me to upload EVERYTHING (which is an all-day/all-night task!).

Not that I expect many people are too interested in my travels, but I know of at least one supporter who loves it.

OH, the agony of running websites!

Instead, I have created this travel diary. I should hopefully be able to at least keep this on updates as I travel around ASEAN.

Right now, its 09:42 in the morning and I have made it as far as to Værnes Airport Trondheim - my first leg goes to Oslo, and then onwards to Stockholm where TG961 will be waiting for me. Today, the B777-300ER they have sent to pick me up is the HS-TKX with the royally bestowed name SUDHARMA.

Hopefuly, I'll make the flight because I have only 20 minutes on the ground at Stockholm between flights!

See you all soon!

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Marvellous - this 'diary thread' I mean - not your other issues! In my 'geek-gull' mode, I was already delighting in looking up which actual aircraft were flying your routes today. Umm... you'll have to scamper in ARN. The last time I was there it seemed to have grown enormously from my last visit before that.
    Safe and happy travels - I couldn't be more excited than if I was actually travelling myself.

Comment

Bumpy ride from Trondheim to Oslo under the command of a Swede, Captain Gunnar Johnson!

Made it safely to the SAS Gold Lounge at Oslo Gardemoen... now there is free wine here, so let's see if I get stuck or if I make it to the next flight!

2017_08_15 Trondheim - Oslo - Stockholm-IMG_2242 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2017_08_15 Trondheim - Oslo - Stockholm-IMG_2244 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr
      Last edited by pakarang; August 15th, 2017, 11:44. Reason: Added some pictures.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Seagull
        Seagull commented
        Editing a comment
        ...navigating OSL can be a bit challenging even without wine!

• pakarang
        pakarang commented
        Editing a comment
        I normally try to avoid OSL at any cost, but this time these were unfortunately the tickets that I was issued.

Hoping I will return via Stockholm or Copenhagen at the end of my mission, but as those tickets have not been booked yet, I have to leave it up to the people in charge. Pretty awkward for me.

• Seagull
        Seagull commented
        Editing a comment
        ah well, you'll just have to think of the return route as a 'magical mystery tour' !

My first ride - from Trondheim to Oslo on SK351:

2017_08_15 Trondheim - Oslo - Stockholm - IMG_2246 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

- and into the skies' little ahead of schedule (as is quite customary for SAS):

2017_08_15 Trondheim - Oslo - Stockholm - IMG_2248 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Great way to stay informed about your journey east through the diary
        I wish you a safe and pleasant journey and have a great experience on this trip also.
        Best wishes from
        Bengt Domben

Comment

Dear Seagull and Azimut - thank you so much for wanting to follow my travels! Yes, it's indeed a genius way to stay in touch - I had hoped to do so through my bLOG but as normal, something happens with the software just as I get ready to cast off on a journey.

I've made it through Thailand so far - it's been nothing but absolutely amazing except from the lack of time and connectivity. I have been to Bangkok, my dearly beloved Kanchanaburi, I've been to the giant Buddha statue at War Muang in And Thong, I've been to a decommissioned Boeing 747 aircraft located not far from Khorat and I have been to a relatively remote and rural town located between Khorat and Khon Kaen, It's been nothing but absolutely amazing for me - we always tend to say that our current journey is the best one, and I can truly confirm that this is true this time as well.

Right now, I'm at Suwarnabhumi airport - officially departed from Thailand - seated in my private First Class lounge eating shrimp wonton's and a heavenly forest mushroom soup with "real" mushrooms, and my favorite drink: Lemongrass ice tea! It's only 05:30 in the morning and my first flight of the day is on an A380 of Thai Airways in First Class to Hong Kong. I'm so excited I can barely contain myself.

This will be the very first time for me on an A380. I have never been on board one as of yet.

Fun fact: spoke to a friend of mine last night - a Captain with Singapore Airlines: did you know that there are now more B787 in regular passenger service than the B747 jumbo jet? It's hard to believe that the 747 is about to disappear completely from the market with the biggest airlines of the world. I guess if you want to fly (one more time) with the B747, time is now of the essence!

I will try to check in again some time soon, and my most sincere apologies if I don't get to see al the new wonderful posts you all have made in my absence. I can't wait to get good time and review all that's been going on here and with you all. I have to close pretty quickly right now as I will have to go and get my complimentary pre-flight Thai massage - wouldn't want my legs to cramp up there in the skies!

Comment

In bed with my iPad in the middle of the night my-time as you take to the skies ...now that's how excited I am for you!

PS ...Funny to to think I made it onto a Thai A380 before you did ...though that was 'only' Royal Silk!

Comment

Dear Seagull,

Thank you so much for your comment and for checking in on me: it makes a world of difference. Without you, I most probably would not have been reporting back here.

My stay in Hong kong is over and I have managed to be transported back to an almost abandoned and deserted Hong Kong International Airport.

So much to tell you, it's really been an amazing visit.

The end of my stay here in Hong Kong this time ended like the fireworks at the end of New Years Eve. With a gigantic melt down!

As I woke this morning, torrential rains hammered my hotel window and the glass breathed like a monster's chest. Throughout the morning, the winds and the rains picked up and created a scene I had never, ever in my life experienced. I just couldn't stay in the room look through a glass - I had to go out and feel and experience this. So I did. It was probably the .... ehhh... for the lack of a better word, the most powerful thing I had ever experienced in my whole entire life - and I have been through some pretty strong weather in the past - including typhoons and a massive Roaring 40's violent storm.

The sounds, the winds and the torrential rains that just kept on coming, and coming, and coming - was .... you know, I have no words that can properly describe what I experienced today.

According to the news, this was a highest possible category tropical storm, a so-called T10, and as far as I gathered from Chinese news, the maximum sustained wind speed in Hong Kong was at close to 220 km/hour. THAT IS MASSIVE!

The scene down by the street level and up in the higher floors of the tallest buildings were probably two extremely different scenes I kept on thinking throughout my walk around town this morning.

I think what I will remember the most from this morning, is the deafening sound created by all that air and all the wind trying to fit between narrow passages, buildings and pathways.

Anyway, all that aside. I have made it to the airport and I have never seen such a large airport with hardly any people inside - it's all deserted and flights are cancelled-en-mass.

My flight, TG601 is delayed with nearly 6 hours if everything now goes as planned. I had to change my plans in Bangkok for today, and cancel some appointments, but I'm going o be fine here in the Royal First Class Lounge of Thai Airways. There is lots of a-la-carte food to choose from, a lot of choices of beverages and great Internet connectivity. I'll survive for sure!

Hope all is well at your end of the screen too!

PS: Thank you for following my random Instagram posts as well at captainsvoyage

Comment

• Azimut
                Azimut commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Jan-Olav
                Reading that you have had a wonderful stay in Hong Kong, even though you ended up in the middle of a typhoon
                Sounds like you've had an incredible weather experience when you walked in the streets.
                I wish you a safe and good trip back to Thailand.

Dearest Captain,
              Yes, you'll have gathered that I manage to co-exist in your time zone when you're away! It's practically like being on night watch! I was so VERY glad to have that contact during the night my-time.

I trusted you to take a safe line between every care possible and yet experiencing the forces of nature. I'd have done the same. But I'm certainly happy to hear you have now reached the airport, and, needless to say, your frequent flyer status is perfect for the long wait (Do Thai also offer massage in HKG? )

I was thinking that the image that comes to mind when hearing of hurricanes or typhoons generally features beach locations with palm trees bent over at huge angles. So it must have been something surreal and extraordinarily powerful to experience the extreme forces of nature in the man-made context of down-town Hong Kong.

Last edited by Seagull; August 23rd, 2017, 10:49. Reason: ...correcting the inevitable typo!

Comment

Here is what has been happening:
                http://www.hko.gov.hk/wxinfo/currwx/tc_gis_e.htm

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/e...irport-typhoon

Edited update: The delayed flight TG601 landed in BKK at 20:50 local time (GMT+7) )
                Last edited by Seagull; August 23rd, 2017, 16:08. Reason: ...update...

Comment

• Azimut
                  Azimut commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for the update Cecilia about our Captain has landed in BKK.

Breathtaking report! Can't wait for the captain has internet connection again and a little time to report us the next steps!
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Thank you Ralf, Azimut, and Seagull for checking in on me here.

I tried really hard to stay online throughout my trip, and I did have relatively good Internet connection... but there just wasn't any time left over. It was supposed to be a holiday but it was packed tight like the latest version of a Lufthansa timetable.

So, about a week ago, I finally made it home just in time to do one night watch at work, and then head straight into a one week sick leave. For the entire past week, I feel I have been close to death than being alive... freezing, and sweating every other hour.... high fever and completely stuffed nose. With other words, as you guessed: bedridden with a flue.

Finally, this is the first day out of bed for more than one hour.... it's been a nightmare, I noticed the beautiful weather outside and couldn't even go out!

I'm a whole lot better now, and will return to work tomorrow... day shift for a week on K followed by some days on the G.

Comment

• Seagull
                    Seagull commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh dear ...no wonder that after the earlier part of your trip even I became unable to figure out where you were, or even what week it was!!!!!
                    You need to factor in a bit more REST and RELAXATION into your schedule during those 'holiday periods'

Will you be in Thailand in October? Flights booked?
                    Last edited by Seagull; September 13th, 2017, 08:48.

• Ralf__
                    Ralf__ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Cecilia is soo right. Holiday is for relaxation and not to fall exhausted in your bed afterwards. ---- Yeees, daddy!

Thank you Ralf and Lady C, thank you both for your concern.

Since I got back from Thailand, it's been really hectic.

First week I got back, I was confined to my bed with high fever and a stomach flue.... that wasn't fun at all.... Hope you all stay healthy and avoid that pain and agony! So many were sick around me, and naturally, with a weak immune system, I just had to get a flue too!

Then, it was a hectic week at work planning for shipyard days in October, and studying the airline industry related subjects.

I have also started up a new business for myself - I'll let you know soon more details about it. Actually, "soft-opened" only so far. We'll see how it goes.

I have also been to Molde for two days of training with my current company, Fjord1.

And as if that wasn't enough, I'm still struggling to get updates out on my CaptainsVoyage website. There is an issue with Cyberduck and I just can't get it to work. Cyberduck blames Apple, Apple blames Cyberduck, and then Cyberduck blames Sandvox (website builder that I use),.... and so on. It's an eternal blaming game! It's so annoying!!! Then, I have tried using FileZilla to do the updates, but I can't get it to upload only the changes - every time I try to update the website, even just a little punctuation mark or comma, it wants to upload all the 5.5 Gb of the website... and as it tries, it fails because that takes somewhere between 66 and 72 hours.... (connection times out). I really am at the wits end of the rope and just about ready to give up on the website, having thoughts that nobody even reads / or needs it anyway. So many days and hours of frustration!

Oh, well... as they say: EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT IN THE END. IF IT IS NOT ALRIGHT, IT IS NOT YET THE END.

Comment

• PoloUK
                    PoloUK commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We can talk if you need to about the web problems. I may or may not be able to help, but sometimes it just helps to explain these techs things to someone else. When you upload on FileZilla it should ask if you really want to overwrite files. Are all the files really changing or is FZ just uploading anyway?

Thank you very much, PoloUK!

I have been giving the CaptainsVoyage site some work again today, but I'm still at a stand still. I have so many completed stories from my recent travels to upload that it's not even funny to have this persisting problems. I know you understand my frustration.

From what I have been able to find out today, the problem appears to be with the biggest folder: the folder with all the 7-8000 images, the folder called _Media

This is where the connection times out!

It could have something to do with my settings, but I have literally tried it all. And, I've come to learn that I'm far from a computer genius. I'm no tech-genius... If you have time some day, even just a few minutes, you may Skype me when I'm online. I really don't want to nag too much either, because you have done such an amazing job with the forum too!

It does ask me on FileZilla if I want to upload everything or overwrite... naturally I choose overwrite changed or newer files, and it appears to be doing the job. As far as I can see that is.

I was hoping to get Cyberduck back in working order again, as it was a whole lot more intuitive.

Comment

• PoloUK
                    PoloUK commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Peculiar. It's logical that the images take up so much space, but it does seem strange that it has to overwrite them. I wonder if the delay is because it's comparing each one in detail to work out if it has changed or not? I assume that the image names don't change - do their original dates change? If not, you probably only want to select 'overwrite newer', not 'overwrite changed'. Filezilla is pretty good - it's very widely used. Drop me an email if you need someone to talk this through with.
                Working...
                X