Small World

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small World

I just received a PM from a member I had met in person earlier this year. That itself is amazing and enough to say "small world" but we did not plan to meet and at the time did not know each other was a board member. He noticed some of my pictures and figured out who "pilotdane" was.

I know several members have arranged meetings with other Captains Voyage members. Has anyone else met another board member without planning the meet?

To meet a fellow member without planning it must be like winning the first prize in Lotto.
    Great story, Dane!!!

I've met several after just a short pre-planning though..., but that was not your question.

Might I ask who you met...??
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

It was member Thaddeus. I first met him 15 years ago and most recently saw him this spring. I knew he was a sailor (yacht sailing, not Navy) but never thought that he was a member of CV.

It really makes me wonder about the people that come to CV. When I met Thaddeus 15 years ago I was a total stranger to his (and my wife's) high school reunion. I knew almost nobody and Thaddeus welcomed me like a friend and made sure I was not left out. I see him once every 5 years and he is always making sure I stay involved and have a good time even though I am not part of the class. CV members are from all over the world with different educations, different jobs... still Captains Voyage seems to attract a higher quality person.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
        ... still Captains Voyage seems to attract a higher quality person.
        BUT OF COURSE!!!!!! Like attracts like, as they say.....

Comment

I did meet a member of this board, by coincidence, during my trip to North Cape back in August this year.

On a drive through Andenes I made a short stop by a whaling center to see what it was all about: and to my amazement, inside I ran into Doris H!

It was an absolutely astonishing encounter because none of us knew the other one was there as well. And to stop, and go inside the whale center at the exactly right time Doris was there, is just amazing.
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
          Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
          Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

How did you know it was Doris? Did you recognize each other?

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
              How did you know it was Doris? Did you recognize each other?
              Ah Dane, they had met previously –planned that time! –just over a year ago when Doris’s trip that would have been on Trollfjord was changed to Lofoten. I remember because I had been thinking about being in Norway myself around that time, but for various reasons didn't go. I’d very much like to meet Doris because, in our Captain’s absence, she was the first person to welcome me to CV after my first post.

My own nearest to a CV “chance meeting” was actually before there even was a CVF, when in the Geiranger fjord Jan-Olav and I had taken photos of each other’s ships, and I can even be recognised on one of his telephoto shots. (It’s there somewhere in Crystal Symphony and Trollfjord threads). That our paths crossed back then now seems so astonishingly awesome and special.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                Ah Dane, they had met previously –planned that time! –just over a year ago when Doris’s trip that would have been on Trollfjord was changed to Lofoten. I remember because I had been thinking about being in Norway myself around that time, but for various reasons didn't go. I’d very much like to meet Doris because, in our Captain’s absence, she was the first person to welcome me to CV after my first post.
                Thank you for finding back to that wonderful moment again: and yes, as you mention, I had met Doris before and therefore recognized her. She is an amazing person and she does have a special place in my heart. That is why my astonishment and great surprise, when we ran into eachother at Andenes: a Norwegian outpost in the north.

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                My own nearest to a CV “chance meeting” was actually before there even was a CVF, when in the Geiranger fjord Jan-Olav and I had taken photos of each other’s ships, and I can even be recognised on one of his telephoto shots. (It’s there somewhere in Crystal Symphony and Trollfjord threads). That our paths crossed back then now seems so astonishingly awesome and special.
                This fact feels more and more astonishingly amazing the more time passes. It just goes to show the title of this thread is in fact so true: it's a small world after all.
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Re: Small World

I have noticed that there is more an more visitors to CVF, frequently anywhere from 50 - 80. This is so even in the middle of the night in Europe, which is when I get up in the morning. (Not only Carina on the "night watch")

But the number of active members still hover around 70 or so. Most must be in here to watch and read, not to contribute, although I got a feeling that many are regulars on the site.

A few days ago I was introduced to a men who, on hearing my name, immediately associated me with CVF. He said he was following because of his interest in ships and rigs especially. Unfortunately only a brief meeting so I didn't get his name properly, or find out if he was actually a member.

Comment

I've noticed the large number of visitors in recent months, too. I have wondered whether "visitor" included the spiders, at one time they used to be shown as such, and distinct from visitors, but they no longer appear although I hope they are still busy on CVF.
                    But what a warm feeling it must give to meet a member or visitor unexpectedly.
                    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Wow, some day we will all look back and remember when it was just a site talking about ships.

I suppose JO will be the one getting rich when Google buys the site for one billion dollars. Maybe then we can finally get the CV yacht we have been dreaming of.
                      Last edited by pilotdane; December 4th, 2011, 03:46.

Comment

Aaah-aaah-ah... and I've decided I don't want a jade bathroom, I'll have it rich cream with strong leaf-green highlights and odds and ends. Ta.
                        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                          To meet a fellow member without planning it must be like winning the first prize in Lotto.
                          Yeah, quite small odds for doing that

But it happens some time, for example when I and fellow member ombugge met on board "BB Hunter" when we, B&B, where transporting him and a couple of other guys to another vessel
                          Regards,
                          Eskild
                          Master Mariner

Comment

It is SO lovely to read all this stories. The world is full of coincidents. Dane`s meeting with "Thaddeus", "pakarangs" meeting with Doris.

And in the "Where is hurtigruten" - thread to see the coincident that Eilun and Sigve had pictures of each other from a ships-meeting, without having the slightest idea........

There are also several occations that CVF-members are at the the same place at the same time without knowing. I do remember one winterday in Ålesund. "Ombugge" was sitting in a bakery-cafè watching some people getting parking-fines just outside the window. What neither "ombugge" nor me knew, was that I was standing outside in the cold, just otside ombugges cafe-window watching the exactly same parking-fine writing. A few days later we find out that we was VEEEEEERY close to each other without knowing.

I also remember I once had a chat on facebook with pakarang. I can`t remember what we were chating about. But when we were about to finsh our chat we suddenly reallised that we was in two different camping-cabins on the same camping-place, just 30 meters from each other. So two minutes later I was knocking at his door.

I guess the lowest odds to coincidently meet another CVF-friend, is two meet "Seagull". Seagull is everywhere. And you NEVER know when she is in your neighbourhood.

Comment

Working...
                            X