• Show
Clear All

underneith the arm with the ball hinge behind me

the other door

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

the door dock was almost full with water,why, the guide didn't knew. past week it was empty.
        so we couldend see the dept now,but the door is still at the supports

best regards Thijs

Comment

the end of the door

a rest support for the door when it is in the dock

best regards Thijs

Comment

the seaside of the door

it's just big

best regards Thijs

Comment

stay at this side of the chain Sir!!

okay

best regards Thijs

Comment

and again i went up the hill.
                now by stairs, then with Ivy by car

at the end Ivy ,you din't missed anything.
                you was just closer to it, and see the size of it all better, but all in all it wassn't worth the walk.
                we didn't climb up on the door either,even the guide had the luck to go up once.
                best regards Thijs

Comment

• Seagull
                  Seagull commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hugely impressive structure, and you took such great photos Thijs - my favourites are #368/1 and #374/1

Thijs, Thijs, Thijs! what a great, lovely surprise to see all this, a reminder (as if I needed one) of all the things we saw that day on our trip. From the first pic. I was back there again in my imagination, with all the same excited, wondering feelings springing to the surface of my mind. That day, plus the overall plan of the Delta Works that you also conducted me through, filled me with wonder and admiration that schemes such as this had been devised, even by a country so experienced in defending itself against the sea.
                We need another Cornelius Vermuyden over here to encourage our tentative plans to put into force a few sea defences of our own. Our eastern seaboard is so at risk. (remember our visit to Dunwich?).
                Big thanks for posting all those excellent photos.
                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• janihudi
                  janihudi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I stepped into this bustrip to see what we missed on our visit, while we saw people walking outside.
                  I didn't went for it then, because of al the walking you had to go.
                  I had a nice day saterday, but didn't see more than from inside the building.

I don't know Cornelius Vermuyden, i do know a Cornelis Vink though, LOL, so must google for him.

Londen have a big flood barrier, but won't keep Bungay dry i think.

I do remember Dunwich, still amazing that it is complete gone, and what there is will be gone in years

• wherrygirl
                  wherrygirl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, the Thames Barrier is at Woolwich, a 10 minute tram/bus ride from Plumstead, where I was born and grew up - if I ever really did that!
                  The barrier is at the left of my photo in another thread http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...866#post147866 but, as I said there, it is almost impossible to distinguish it from other things.

http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...002#post216002

thank you Cecilia, but you don't make it easy for me.

you liked #368/1 and #374/1, but i placed all of them of the barrier and the by you named posts aren't there yet

but we only walked around this red line

i would like see the inside of the ball hinge, the engine tower ( with the red engine house on the door)
                but nothing of that all.

as the guide told us, the barrier and the publics center '' Keeringshuis'' are 2 different companies.

the barrier is a company of it's own , a states owned company, and it's there to protect us, and not for showing people the inside and touching things.
                the public center is build to give people an inside look of about the delta works and how Holland would look likewithout all the dunes ,dykes dams and barriers.
                lets say Ralf could digged his sand pits at the west german coast, instead of hollands coast.

even the guide had the opporunity to went up once. they are employies of a chartered company to guide you,not employies of the barrier or the public center

it's also only at this side for visits, the other side theres nothing for public.

also everything about the closing of the doors is calculated by computers and 24 hours in advence.
                also that the doors are never be closed, in a way there is Always a gap of 1 meter when closed, for preventing damage the doors.

the next cloosing of the doors for a test is 14 september 2019

best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                  thank you Cecilia, but you don't make it easy for me.
                  you liked #368/1 and #374/1, but i placed all of them of the barrier and the by you named posts aren't there yet
                  As I am struggling to catch up with things after being away, it would not have been at all surprising that I had typed something silly! ...but no, not entirely guilty in this case! It appears to be the result of some issue with the forum software.
                  When I am logged off ,those favourite photos appear in posts #361 and #367
                  but when I am logged in to CVF, they appear in posts #368 and #374
                  I must have made a note of my favourites when I was browsing while logged out, and later when typing replies logged in, I just used the numbers from my notes.

Anyway, my favourites are the one you sescribe as "underneath the arm with the ball hinge behind me"
                  and the one with the reflection in the puddle of water.

I love the map you've made.
                  Yes, these Visitor Centre places with exhibitions, guides and tours, are good to have - but like you I am often wishing to see more, or peek behind the scenes!

Comment

• janihudi
                    janihudi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    yes and even walk outside without a guide is out of the quistion, and they have some time for the walk so even then a quicky here and a quicky there
                Working...
                X