• Show
Clear All

a waterbus

best regards Thijs

Comment

and how higher you go,the beter look you get

best regards Thijs

Comment

in the floor are also some portholes,but they have sanded by the shoes that walk over them,but still something to see,but not an image.

the tower from the outside and back on earth again.

best regards Thijs

Comment

at this point is restaurant ''de Ballentent'',famous for there meatballs,but also other kind of foods.
          now im not the most spoiled eater,i eat everywhere everything,as long i know what it is,so no Eisbein.
          but if i read what people write about it,not that best restaurant.
          biggest complain is the lack of hospitality of the staff,we also where not that happy of them,
          but the food was good, in my opinion.

after this meal here,i brought them back to the hotel,late again.
          the next morning went back to the hotel again,to say goodbay to Ivy ,Regina and Ralf,and wish them a save and plesant joutney.
          after we drove by the B&B where Ralf stayed in 2011,our ways seperate and i could relaxe,for a while.
          Friday picked up the truck cleaned it inside and stuff all the goods in that i will need for staying on the road.

with this post ends for me this thread,one to go now,the bun9ay thread,and then i quit with those long threads.
          cost to many time,and not the fun of it anymore to do so
          best regards Thijs

Comment

The summer months in Edinburgh have been the best weather for years, and, for me in a year with big trips in March and to come in October/November, an Edinburgh summer - one when I got out more locally, one with little time for posting past pictures. But as a result you got a LOT of ships in Scottish waters, and around them glimpses and explorations of the edges of the city.
            For car-less-me, this also involves spending a LOT of time on buses. It can easily take half an hour to reach Leith from the city centre at busy times, so think an hour round trip, and from the south of the city (given my continuing complicated domestic responsibilities) quite often two hours. Time not entirely spent staring out of the window, but also reading, iPad in hand ...and guess what - free wi-fi has been phased in on more and more buses!

So when I think of these summer months on CVF there stands out some long threads, in their different ways unique in the annals of the forum. First there was Kristian's remarkable, insightful, and autobiographical account of his year aboard the school ship Gann - a reassuring reminder that Norwegian seamanship has a future and it is in good hands. Then came the present and associated interweaving of threads of other kinds of travels shared, of members meeting. Interplay of memories, thoughts, questions and answers and friendly banter tossed back and forth ...can I even call it a dialogue, for there are more than two of you!

A jolting bus is not the place to best type comments, but I would not have wanted to anyway, interrupting that dialogue, that flow. Don't any of you be fun-less and sad imagining that no responses implies there is no one out there, immersed in your stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
              Don't any of you be fun-less and sad imagining that no responses implies there is no one out there, immersed in your stories.
              Fun-less - between ourselves - never. The bonds are too strong. Sad, yes, very. Interplay between readers and posters adds energy to the narration, sparks off the fun which can envelop us all. I have read that to the Bushmen of southern Africa storytelling is a vital part of their life, and in this country the telling of stories of times past, myths and legends has been enjoying a huge revival for quite some years. I am a great fan of Hugh Lupton, at whose feet I and many others have sat enthralled, no - completely immersed in his magic.
              The stories of our meetings are vital for us, but we want to share, and know that others appreciate the sharing. It is not for us alone.
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I fully agree, Ivy. It is a pity, that the forum doesn't show the clicks of the threads anymore. In former days you could see how much interest a thread had. I can fully understand, that not much readers comment our very familiar triologue.
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Finally i will add my views from the Euromast to this thread.

This is the way through the harbour to the open sea! I bet you will not see the sea even at bright weather.
                  And here you can spot the location of Thijs recent puzzle, Heijplaat. It is located quite in the centre of the picture, left shore of the river, about in prolongation of the wirde street in the foreground.

Absolutely spooky atmosphere with these deep clouds. Remember, this is an End-of-May-day.

Comment

And here Thijs is checking the upper part of the mast. Is the space tower elevator working?

Always astonishing, how high we climb up to look down on the details.

Discussion about what we would have seen in better weather.

Comment

This thread ended with Regina, Ralf and Thijs perched high up in the Euromast looking down and out at the surrounding country. For me the holiday continued as I accompanied Regina and Ralf on their journey home to Stuttgart, but for Thijs it was back to work in a few days - after he had recovered from his marathon efforts to give us a good time. And that he certainly succeeded in doing, he always does. My thanks to you, dear Thijs, for such a wonderful time, and I know Ralf and Regina feel the same even though their stay was so brief.
                      Ivy

Comment

• Ralf__
                        Ralf__ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you, Ivy, for this post. I completely forgot to "close" this thread. So sorry for this, Thijs and of course we are very thankful and the next steam days in Doordrecht are pre-marked in our schedule!

thank you,for this,had also a great time.
                      you already had pre-marked?
                      i don't even know when the next weekend is.
                      best regards Thijs

Comment

Oh, what a useless Dutchie you are. It starts 27 May, 2016
                        Ivy

Comment

Working...
                        X