No announcement yet.

Welcome to new members!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

welcome Naripalmer and nathythepig,i hope that you will be much active members.
    there are lots of threads here that will be intresting for you,
    if not ,make a new thread.
    best regards Thijs

Comment

Welcome to karelc from Belgium.
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

A few new folk to welcome to the site today:

Stephanie from Australia
        jcoach from the USA
        Havsstilen from Norway

and bonjourvietnam from, well, Vietnam!!

You're all very welcome - we hope to hear from you all soon.

There was one other applicant - but that one made alarm bells ring at the 'stopforumspam' site, so we haven't accepted that.
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Welcome, Stephanie, jcoach, Havsstilen and bonjourvietnam, new members spread across the planet.
          Yes, we look forward to your posts as soon as you feel like joining in.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Greetings to Linda Sandoval in the USA, and to Barry Cobb in the UK! Welcome to CVF.
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Greetings to you both. We look forward to you joining in some of our threads, Linda, or starting one of your own if you want to post and can't find a matching thread.
              And Barry, you know your way about! It's good to have you back again. Our thoughts are with you on your very sad recent loss, but when you are feeling like it I know you'll be joining in again.
              Ivy

Comment

A very warm welcome to you all!

Comment

Two out of three approved today - hopefully I've found the 'real people'. If so - welcome to Kuukapitanboat in Thailand and Zierik in Italy.
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Welcome Kuukapitanboat and Zierik. We look forward to you joining in the posting as soon as you have found your way around. Don't take too long, though.
                    Ivy

Comment

Sorry - we do add new members quite frequently - I just don't always notify everyone here.

New members today from France, the UK and Norway.
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I haven't been a frequent visitor to this thread, but after talking to a certain someone, I now know what work it it behind finally opening the doors to new member and to check if there are actual human beings behind all the nicknames. In the case of CVF, I strongly belive it is.
                        I have great respect for the job being done to welcome new members, so thanks J-O and Mark for your work!!

That being said; a huge warm welcome to all new members!! Hope to see you in threads and post soon...., pictures, text, questions, answers, or whatever you can contribute with in the many, MANY interesting topics in here :-)
                        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Thanks Sterkoder.

Yes, we have a bit of a process - I think that J-O and I do the same thing.

When people apply to join we go to a site called Stopforumspam. That has a big database of people that have joined other forums and caused grief. We check username, email address and IP address for each applicant. If any of them come up with a hit on that database - we stop!

If anything looks a little dubious we do a quick Google check to see if the email addresses make sense - sometimes for example people will be using marketing addresses for big corporate bodies - highly unlikely (although not impossible) that those are real.

Finally we do a quick IP 'Geolocation' - to see if the IP address ties up with the area that the email address points to. Sometimes they don't.

If all those things look OK, we accept the application, and the system emails back to confirm success.

About 50% of those successful people are never heard of again - the others become part of our little community and are very, very welcome.
                          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                            About 50% of those successful people are never heard of again - the others become part of our little community and are very, very welcome.
                            Yes, looking at new members' profiles I note how often one will join, then is never heard of again. Their profile shows no further visit and absolutely no posts. Any member of the public can visit the site and have an enjoyable browse without joining, but of course they are unable to post anything. So if someone joins but never posts or revisits, then why?
                            Ivy

Comment

• yvneac
                              yvneac commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Absolutely.I don't mind if they join us but if they don't post it is useless.

Well, I belong to a professional forum where new folk world-wide join up, are welcomed and never post.
                            I have a feeling they believe they cannot compete with the collective understanding (it is a science-based forum) so they shut up.
                            Which is a great pity - but sometimes one or two will post a comment. The overwhelming majority are from the USA.
                            Our three Scandinavians, however, are very communicative and helpful!....

Comment

Welcome to MICCTOH,from Singapore.
                              Since it seems you are a fan of Hurtigruten you will find a lot to read and watch on this forum.
                              Don't hesitate to post.

Comment

Working...
                              X