• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pakarang
    started a topic We have lost a dear family member -

We have lost a dear family member -

Dear CaptainsVoyage Forum family,

It is with great sadness I have been notified of the passing of one of our dearest and most longstanding members.

I have through e-mail communication been advised that SaintsFCFan - also known to all of us as Paul - has passed away.

I have been given the task to inform all of you in this family, as he has been an integral and important member for all of us.

Since he joined our friendly forum on December 16th 2008, he has not only reached an admirable position in our forum, but he has also been highly respected and loved by everyone. He has contributed and created some of the greatest threads on our forum, and he will always be deeply missed.

At this time, our most sincere condolences, thoughts and prayers are extended to his entire family, circle of friends and to all of you that have come to love Paul for his wonderful part in our online family.

With terrible sadness,

Captain Jan-Olav Storli

• pilotdane
    replied
    Strange for me. Across an ocean and having never met most on this forum though I can't bear to think of being without any of you.

Several years ago my wife and I went to Amsterdam. Thijs and Wesley picked us up and drove us around all day long just like we were family and I feel most everyone else on CV would do the same. I find it amazing that this forum has existed without the usual trolls and problems but is just a group of good friends with common interests.

Leave a comment:

• wherrygirl
    replied
    Sterkie, so do I, very much. I have all his emails but could not bear to delete them, yet it hurt every time I saw his name on his folder. So I changed the name to Tess and her mails go in there as well. On the news they were talking about the Severn bore the other day, in connection with the floods in that part of England, and immediately my mind went to Paul's (it stabs me even to type his name) great photos and videos of the Trent Aegir, as well as his other photos of the river and.....and.....and.....
    The other day I turned up a thread which I'd started, can't think why now, and at the beginning there was a reply he'd made to one of my photos. Just sat and stared at it.
    It goes on hurting, doesn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied
    I miss Paul.. Just wanted to tell.

Leave a comment:

• firefox
    commented on 's reply
    I don't want any thanks for putting these pictures up. I wanted to share them with you not so much because of the donations from you all, but most of all because I know how much the CVF family meant to Paul and not to forget how you have taken care of me here since I let you know of his passing. This has all meant a lot to me!

• firefox
    commented on 's reply
    It is a nice feeling to think that our lost loved ones are still with us in the ups and downs of our lives. A sense of comfort and a source of strength so I know exactly what you mean Svein.

• firefox
    commented on 's reply
    Reams and reams of names inside those bomb doors, Thijs - a lot of these were in memory of. But anyone can donate £75 and get their name there for the next flying season. The deadline for next flying season closed end of October I think. The difference with Paul's is that it is going to stay there forever and will not be in the normal alphabetic list. It will still be there the day her flying days are over and she goes into a museum.

• Seagull
    replied
    Sometimes I find it so hard to say what I want to express, and sometimes the words “thank you” seem so inadequate, but anyway – thank you so very much for sharing that day and the wonderful photographs.

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied
    Thank you so much for posting this Tess! Means a lot to me, and it hurts thinking about me and Paul never got to meet. But we must go on, live our lives and bring the good memories with us. I know so well what Spam ment when he said Paul was walking beside you on the hangar tour. Several years back I also experienced a great loss, when my only brother passed away. I will not talk too much about it, but I sence that he's kind of with me in a very good way every day. Thanks again Tess for showing us these pictures and for presenting Pauls best friend and mum to us. Remember to say hello next time you see them :-)

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied
    thank you for sharing those images Tess,a lot of names on the door,all follenteers and donors?

Leave a comment:

• firefox
    replied
    Some more for you - back on solid ground:

Spam and Joan posing under her.

That is as much as I have re-sized and uploaded and a lot of the rest is more of the same...

Leave a comment:

• firefox
    replied
    Here are some more photos I took of this ALL British icon and as of yet she is still airborne - hopefully thanks to Paul's love for Vulcan XH558 and his very kind friends and family pledging your precious money to help keep her airborne a bit longer.

Lol - I will start with a photo where I stood up some stairs to try and get her all in, but how ever hard I tried I just couldn't ... and she was so close I couldn't even get the full wing in... but I thought I'd share it anyway

So had to revert to take front and then end of her:

Leave a comment:

• firefox
    replied
    Ivy - You are right, under any other circumstance I would have been thrilled to bits. I just could not stop thinking though that the one that would have been the most excited would have been Paul and I think that Spam (Steve is his real name and not just our tour guide, but is also one of Paul's oldest friends) saw that in my face, because he tapped me on my shoulder and said "he is just there right beside you" and in a strange way it felt so much better.

And yes - you might have seen Jay before. Paul and Jay met at the bank of their beloved Trent river, were both of them were clicking away. For 18 months they then spent a lot of time going out on photo excursions together and became best of friends, so he most probably has featured in a photo or two.

Steve you are not the only one that will think of Paul whenever they see the XH558 - in fact every time I see that or the Red Arrows or for that matter hear a propeller plane I think of him. The other week on a beautifully sunny day I heard a propeller plane while in the house and ran out in the garden just to look. Paul would have grabbed his camera, cursing on the way as he thought he would miss it and run out in the garden to click away!

Anyway, I have managed to re-size and upload a few more photos so time to share them. I have done very little post processing of the photos as - so they are as they came from the camera:

Paul's photo was placed in the ****pit for a photo opportunity. This photo is going to go with them at the spring run after the ongoing winter maintenance is done.

Spam pointed out to us where he was going to place Paul's name and it is going to be there before next display season and is going to be as big as the one just to the left of it ... but we have to wait for a photo of the actual name being there.

Inside the bomb door.

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    replied
    Thanks indeed Tess. We really appreciate you sharing this special visit with us.

Leave a comment:

• Steve.B
    replied
    Thanks so much for letting us know about it all, Tess. And really nice to see this first photo. Whenever i see XH558 in the future, i know who i will be thinking of.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X