No announcement yet.

We have lost a dear family member -

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Mark - in some senses I think I have been a minor part of this site ever since Paul joined as I often have peeked over his shoulder when there is a specific photo he wanted to show me and he often talked about different people on this site and I already know a lot of your user names and in some cases your real names and where you are from etc...

All though I have not even looked at it since Paul's passing I know he still has a lot of material on his computer that he had not yet published, so I am eventually going to look through it and see if there is something else I can publish...

I am sure someone will put me right about how to put up photo's, but thanks for welcoming me
    Tess

We are all time travellers moving at the speed of exactly 60 minutes per hour...

Comment

Tess, how good to see you here and to read that you intend to stay - one of the family! That's really great. Take your time, and do what you want to do as and when you feel like it. As you have already been doing quite a bit of peeking, then it will not be strange to you. Mind you, this new version of the software that we have now has been acting very strangely, driving us mad, and Mark has spent a great deal of time putting it right, one painful step at a time, with Steve beavering away trying to identifying patterns in its behaviour which may point to a solution. Between them they are getting there.
      So if you find things not happening as you expected, don't blame it on yourself. It might be the %$"&*^%$ software.
      As far as Flickr is concerned, you seem to have got almost there, but I'll send you an email just to take you through it again. I'll do it that way because I want to show you the BB code of one of my photos and what to do with it before you post it on the forum, and if I do it here or in a PM (Private Message), then when I click Post, the pic. will come up, not the coding!
      I'll send the email now.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

THANK YOU Ivy - that worked!!! First hurdle passed ... now I know why Paul kept a text file somewhere where he could just paste in his url's ... even Flickr is different from when I put up my first and only two photo's on there...

Thank you for the welcome and it is so encouraging with all the lovely messages I have had already!!! Thanks all for being so supporting and sharing your affection for Paul!

Tess
        Tess

We are all time travellers moving at the speed of exactly 60 minutes per hour...

Comment

Thank you Tess, for posting a most beautiful picture of Paul!

Just as I have seen him in my mind, and I hope it's ok for you that I store it in my album on my computer.
          You know, back to those days of me and Pauls New Years Eve conversation, I've seen a lot of pictures from Pauls life in the 1970s and early 80s.
          All images giving me a picture of Paul, and this together with his writing, gave me a person who I wanted to be friends with.
          It's a strange feeling to be missing a person you've never met.

Glad you joined us Tess!
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• firefox
            firefox commented
            Editing a comment
            Svein, for some reason I have missed this post of yours... Of course you can store this photo on your computer.
            As I and Paul actually met using our computers and became best friends by exchanging emails ... I can kind of understand missing someone you never met...

Thanks for welcoming me!

so pitty,that we wil never see his new stunning art work again..
          so as a reminder to Paul.
          look at those 2 threads.

http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...work-continued

and

http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...-liner-artwork

sadly a lot of drawings are gone,but a few are still here.
          best regards Thijs

Comment

Just spent an hour looking through some of the content of these threads (still lots to do) ... thanks for putting the links up Thijis! Most of the drawings are utterly familiar to me, but some I could not remember him doing...

There are a some of them missing, but there might be a chance that I can replace them eventually (that is if I know what I'm looking at...!?) as I will slowly but surely go through all his works once my mind is in the right place again...

Tess
            Tess

Comment

Originally posted by firefox View Post
              Just spent an hour looking through some of the content of these threads (still lots to do)
              you can say that yes,i was surching for those drawing threads,and Paul started up 60 threads.

take your time,your mind is full with more important things to do

best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post

take your time,your mind is full with more important things to do
                At the moment it is soothing as I seem to have no concentration to watch TV or other of my normal activities...
                Tess

Comment

Paul did indeed contribute so much to this forum, so many of our interesting threads were started by him. Earlier today i spent lots of time looking back through his art work threads, been a long time since i browsed them. So many wonderful drawings. I remember him saying that each of the ship drawing took him well over 100 hours to do. So there must be thousands of hours of work contained within those two threads alone. Amazing dedication.

Tess, i can well imagine you must have lots of memories of Paul slowly putting those masterpieces together. We only ever got to see them once they were complete, you must have witnessed the various stages involved. I remember Paul posting a video of how he done parts of the drawings, in that case it was a ships funnel. He took us through all the steps involved just to produce a funnel, so we could all imagine the true amount of work that was involved to draw a complete ship. A great talent. Paul certainly was someone you can feel very proud of.

With regard to the missing drawings, i think they may have been the ones he had on his old photobucket account, i may be wrong, but i think he changed over to flickr. I think editing the links was on his 'to do' list. So if you do ever re-edit the posts to show the pictures once more, i am sure Paul will be looking down with such a big smile on his face. But like Thijs said, there is no rush.
                  Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Tess, please accept my condolences on the loss of Paul. Due to the change of software I had lost my account so was unable to post earlier, although I had managed to read of the awful news. He was extremely talented with his nautical creations, and we had exchanged a couple of comments, although I am an infrequent visitor myself. Thanks to the assistance of Mark and Jan, I am now back on, so would like to welcome you to Jan's 'family'. I hope you can gain some solace from your time spent here.

Comment

Paul, sorry I missed your post up to now. Thank you for your condolences and your lovely words about Paul. And the welcome to the family here at CVF is nice too...
                      Tess

Comment

Wanted to tell you all that the service for Paul was beautiful. All Saints Church here in Gainsborough was full to the last pew with family and with friends and the vicar made it a lovely tribute to Paul's life and accomplishments. The only little hick-up was that in the beginning of the service - just as we were all welling up - a lamp just beside me and Paul's mum and crashed to the floor. Paul's mum and I looked at each other and she mouthed 'it's a sign' ... I think everybody in that church either thought or mouthed 'Paul'... whether or not he was showing us a sign that we wouldn't get rid of him this easy - it sure acted a little bit as a tension breaker... After a short service at the crematorium, we all met up at a local pub afterwards for the reception and a proper send-off! I was so touched and so proud that so many of Paul's past and present friends were able to and cared enough to attend! I count this day as one of the worst, but one of the most humbling days in my life....!!! I owe so much not just to friends here locally, but also the family here at CVF for all the condolences to me and Paul's and most of all the support I have you have shown me! Thank you all, Tess
                        Tess

Comment

May he rest in peace and stop dropping lamps.

Comment

Thank you for your brave post, Tess. Our Paul has left a huge legacy here with his superb photos, his enthusiasm and the ever-present humour. Whenever I see "lol" now it will take me straight back to Paul.
                            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Thank you so very much Tess for sharing that day with us. Now it feels so much more than simply that Paul was in my thoughts.

Here on CVF many of us were looking back over the very many contributions Paul made here, that "huge legacy" as Ivy so aptly describes it. I was thinking too about one thread that Paul started that might not have been specifically mentioned - the one that was, in a unique way, his gift to us. He called it CHIT CHAT Zone - simply a place where we could all drop in any time. A bit like our virtual cafe or pub really. And look! - there's even a "lol" in his very first post there!

Comment

Working...
                              X