No announcement yet.

We have lost a dear family member -

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was shocking to read that Paul had passed away.
    I will always remember him for the gorgeous photos he shared with us all on this forum.
    My condolences to his wife, family and friends.

Comment

I've had another lovely email from Tess. She asks that I forward it to any member who would like to contact her. I decided to post it here, [but see end of post] for all to see how touched she and her family are to learn of our sorrow. Obviously I am not showing her email address, and at the moment cannot find any way to enable members to email me from CVF. I'm sure there used to be a way of contacting each other by email without the recipient's address being actually disclosed to the sender. Some of you have my address, of course and I will forward Tess's address to those that I have.
      You can try PM-ing me, but as Mark knows, my PM insists that I have a total of 56 messages there and so cannot send any. According to the info. it gives Mark, I have 69 messages. Take your pick. I have scoured my PM of everything, but still cannot send. Yet I was able to receive one from him, so it's worth a try.

From Tess Dear Ivy,

Thank you for your wonderful email and for conveying some of yours and the CVF family thoughts and condolences. They truly moved me to tears and gave me great comfort.

I and the family are in awe of how well thought of and loved Paul was by so many.

I and the family are truly touched that you all want to pay tribute to Paul’s memory. The funeral is not until on Wednesday the 25th September in All Saints’ Parish Church here in Gainsborough. I should think that all of the UK members at CVF would not be able to attend, but if I am wrong – please let me know and I will pass on the details.
      Because Paul was aviation mad and because he was passionate about keeping the Vulcan XH558 flying for as long as possible I have decided that there will be family flowers only as Paul never was much for flowers, but any donation for the Vulcan to the Sky Trust be greatly welcome and would have made Paul very happy. If this is what you want to do then we have arranged for the donations to be sent to: Lincolnshire Co-operative Funeral Services, North Street, Gainsborough, DN21 2HS. I was told that if it was sent by cheque you would have to make the cheque out to: The Vulcan to the Sky Trust. Please let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

Take care Ivy and kindest regards,
      Tess

EDIT
      I have now deleted most of Tess's mail, it was too personal to remain long on public view and I posted it only as a temporary measure. If any member did not see the full version but would like to, please PM me with your email address and I'll pass it on. As mentioned above, Tess asked me to do this if a member requested it.
      Last edited by wherrygirl; September 19th, 2013, 10:59.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

My last post exceeded the character limit of 5000, so I post this separately here.

If anyone would like to make a donation I have a Paypal account. I rarely use it, but it seems you have to quote both your and my email address to make a payment. Those who know my address are OK, but for those who do not, well, see my initial paragraph in previous post. We have a lot to thank vBulletin for, with the helluva muddle they have provided.
        However, a good donation will be made, more details later.

Later:
        Apologies, I'm not thinking straight! As far as members wishing to contact Tess is concerned, as she has applied to join CVF (see her email) you'll probably be able to PM her even if she has not yet been officially accepted.
        Last edited by wherrygirl; September 18th, 2013, 13:55.
        Ivy

Comment

Tess' account is set up and active.

Maximum post size set to 10,000 characters now.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

So, where do we find new members now these days...?
            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Tess doesn't seem to have appeared in the member list yet, does she, Svein?

IMPORTANT
              Mark the miracle worker has freed up my PM's, I have just sent him 3 to make sure and they all went. Hope he received them.
              So now if anyone would like my email address to make a PayPal payment, please PM me.
              Last edited by wherrygirl; September 18th, 2013, 19:17.
              Ivy

Comment

I can't answer Svein's very sensible question.

However, Tess is 'firefox'.
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Mark, her nick was all I needed :-)

Tess doesn't seem to have appeared in the member list yet, does she, Svein?
                  I found it impossible to search the members list, because where should I start. Would be like the needle in the heystack when I didn't know the first letter of hjer nick.

Thank you for the work being done here after Pauls tragic death. Let's continue the line of friendship CVF is creating.
                  "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

my sincere condolences to Tess and the families of Paul and Tess.
                    we where so hopefull that he was back here from now and then,and now he will never be back again.
                    best regards Thijs

Comment

I hope, Monday, to send off a cheque to the Funeral Services in Gainsborough for the total of our donations. If there are any members still wishing to contribute but who have no PayPal account perhaps you would PM me and we will sort it out. I will enclose a short message to the Trust in my covering letter to the Funeral Services and having spoken to the latter just now they assure me that this will be included in their communication with the Trust. Once it is all complete, I will PM contributors with the total donation amount.
                      Thanks to you all.

One or two members have expressed concern over a possible loss of Paul's great photos. He used Flickr, as I do, and, having checked their FAQs I find that they have completely reorganised their membership categories a few months ago. I will study it more closely, but we are now allowed 1 TB of photos even in a free account. At a quick calculation basing it on 3MB per photo I make that 333,333 photos in a collection. They quote 500,000 photos overall per person but that would presumably be based on a smaller resolution.
                      I'll have another study, if you will bear with me, but it looks good.
                      Last edited by wherrygirl; September 20th, 2013, 11:08.
                      Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                        Thanks to you all.
                        And thank you, Ivy, for tackling this very sad task for us all, it really is so very much appreciated.
                        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

• PoloUK
                          PoloUK commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Absolutely, many thanks Ivy.

I have just managed to sign in since the change over and sorry to hear the sad news, we are like family, so it a great loss.

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

I am sorry I have not posted in open forum before, but at this moment in time I feel very fragile and I have had a hard time trying to formulate how much your apparent love and affection for Paul and your lovely condolences to me and to Paul's family means to us all!

I thought I would put up a lovely photo of Paul as I know it is nice to put a face to someone you have communicate a lot - hope you all think this is appropriate... this is one of the few decent photo's I have of him as he was normally the one behind the camera!

You have also expressed worry about photo's posted on site. Paul has hundreds and probably hundreds of photo's and video's that he has posted here, on his Flickr account, YouTube account, Facebook account and in his newly started FB group about the River Trent - I am planning to do my utmost to keep them all going as his legacy. As you all know photography was was his passion and that is one thing I can try to do to keep his memory alive!

I was also really touched that the family here at CVF wanted to do something in tribute to Paul and that you are donating to a charity that was very close to his heart. You will be contributing to keeping this beauty flying for a little while longer:

The Vulcan to the sky trust is hoping to keep her flying at least until 2015, but constantly needs more contributions for maintenance, and fuel etc, - Paul always said that if he won on the lottery he would try to make sure she kept flying as long as possible. As some of you might know the RAF DC10s have flown their farewell tour today and is now waiting at RAF Brize Norton for their very last flight to take them to their final resting place. Once they have flown that last flight, Vulcan XH558 will become the last all-British designed and built 4 jet turbine engine aircraft still able to fly! If you want to know about this beautiful plane the website is: http://www.vulcantothesky.org/

Paul's longtime friend works on the Vulcan as a surface finisher and had invited Paul to come to the hangar at Finningley Airport during this winter maintenance - but under the circumstances I will go there to present them with all our donations and give her a little pat from Paul. I am sure he will be right by my side in spirit (camera at the ready!). Paul's name will be engraved inside the bomb door and he will be able to take to the sky with them next season and any season she flies after that.

Again, thank you all for helping us get over this horrible time (and to all that has contacted me personally). We will all miss Paul greatly, but knowing we might be able to keep his memory alive is so wonderful!

Tess
                          on behalf of me and the family
                          Last edited by firefox; September 21st, 2013, 00:43.
                          Tess

We are all time travellers moving at the speed of exactly 60 minutes per hour...

Comment

• Steve.B
                            Steve.B commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Tess, very nice of you to show us this photo of Paul, and your right, it is nice to put a face to someone you have communicated with for a long time, but never met. We never met him, but he will be greatly missed by all of us. Very nice that is name will be engraved on the plane that he felt so much for, i think he would feel deeply honoured to know that. I know one thing for certain, whenever i see XH558 in the future, i know who i will be thinking of.

• firefox
                            firefox commented
                            Editing a comment
                            He looks very polished in this photo Steve as it was on his cousins wedding a while back ... I so wish you had actually met him!

And you are right he would just have loved and been deeply honored to have his name in the bomb door of the XH558 ... just wish he was here to see it...!!!

• wherrygirl
                            wherrygirl commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Great photo of Paul, great man, dear friend.

Seem's like I have done it all wrong with the photo's - have to ask advise on how to include photo's....
                          Last edited by firefox; September 20th, 2013, 18:01. Reason: Duplicate post
                          Tess

We are all time travellers moving at the speed of exactly 60 minutes per hour...

Comment

• firefox
                            firefox commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It appears that I do not have the right permissions on site to add new photo's. Hopefully you will be able to open them as attachments...???

Tess - it's wonderful to hear from you - and it's really moving to read your post.

Re posting photos - we don't store photos on the site itself, due to the cost of storage, and the enormous number of photos we have. I'll leave one of the others to explain how to post - our Ivy is a particular star in this field, although one of the others may beat her to it. It's not difficult (after the first few times!).

We're all very much thinking of you at the moment, and are delighted that you've chosen to join us here.
                          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X