X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HAPPY DEEPAVALI!!!
    To all Hindu members and gusts on CVF

Comment

I knew of the festival of Diwali but not its date.
      I would like to wish all CVF members a happy day with a quote I have found on India.com:

"Sun glows for a day;
      Candle for an hour;
      Matchstick for a minute;
      But a wish glows forever.
      Here is my wish for a glowing Diwali and glowing life!"

And I note a very telling phrase on the Vatican site, where it frequently repeats the message "A culture of inclusion". If only......., in both small groups and large communities.
      (As a member of no religion I still live in hope, but it grows smaller.)
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• ombugge
        ombugge commented
        Editing a comment
        If anybody wondered why the different spelling Deepavali/Diwali here is the explanation;
        The official Indian language used in Singapore and Malaysia is Tamil, not the Hindi. This is because most of the Indian citizens of both countries originated from Tamil Nadu and the Jaffna Peninsula in Sri Lanka, both Tamil speaking areas. There are also several other Indian languages spoken here by people originating in the Punjab, Kerala and other parts India, mostly South India.

PS> "Culture of inclusion" is what is being strive for in Singapore, where all major religions and races are represented. Unfortunately there are bigots that do not accept that all men are created equal. They believe that they are "better" then others, based on their race.
        Or that their religion is the only true path to salvation. This last aspect - and the level of intolerance - appears to be increasing in all religions.

I was about to make my "busy weekend" excuses in the chit-chat or Seagull away threads when I remembered this thread...

VERY HAPPY St. Cecilia's Day to you all!

I'm just typing this on my iPad while ready for the start of Qualifying for the F1 Grand Prix exciting season finale, live from Abu Dhabi all weekend. Plus cooking a nice lunch for my day! So excuse if I am a bit slow catching up with all the activity here on CVF ...I hope to be a bit more free for that on Monday, and some additions to the SERENISSIMA thread

Comment

• Tommi
        Tommi commented
        Editing a comment
        A Very Happy day to all Cecilias around the globe!

Inspired by PoloUK's recent super photos of Portsmouth and wherrygirl's equally super comment, I've chosen a nautical rather than musical illustration for St.Cecilia's Day this year!

Comment

• Seagull
        Seagull commented
        Editing a comment
        No Ralf!....Abu Dhabi was LAST YEAR! (yet more trips never posted ...but, as you've seen, I'm NEARLY through with this summer's Scottish cruise calls!)
        I'll be watching the Lewis Hamilton/Nico Rosberg "Duel in the desert" on Sky Sports on D's TV this weekend!
        (Want to go in 2017 though as it will most likely be Kimi's last race before he retires!)
        But I WILL be travelling soon ....somewhere beginning with T ;-)

• ombugge
        ombugge commented
        Editing a comment
        At this time of the year I would think you would have enough sense to go to Thailand??

• Seagull
        Seagull commented
        Editing a comment
        Only after seeing your comment Ombugge did I realise that T could have suggested Trondheim (cold weather) as well as Thailand (hot weather)!
        But you are absolutely correct - it's Thailand

Happy Saint Cecilia day to you.... I should be going to the Cecilia of Trondheim (on the south tower of the west front of Nidarosdomen), but climbing that high up is not recommended for someone with a fear of height.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Seagull
        Seagull commented
        Editing a comment
        You are excused from such a terrifying feat of homage, having delighted the Lady with such a superb telephoto picture taken last year on her day! xx

OOOPS! I was reading way too fast: Normally you are typing on your iPad while hanging around in airports. So i read iPad and think airport.
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Working...
      X