Happy Day!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Day!

Perhaps I should have posted this somewhat earlier in the day . . . .but, err . . . . I had to go out to take some photographs!!!

Anyway, I hope our dear Captain and all the Crew here aboard the good ship CaptainsVoyage are having a very happy St. Cecilia’s Day!

Umm . . . maybe we should rename it Lady C's Day and make it an annual ship's celebration! . . . CHEERS ALL !!!!

Happy Cecilia Day!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Wishing you all a Happy St Cecilia'’s Day!

I'd headed first to the Chit Chat Zone to send you greetings and was just thinking that I didn't really want to interject in the lively discussion going on there... and then that triggered a far off memory, that, perhaps in similar circumstances, I'd long ago started a thread for my name day! One I'd then consistently forgotten about over four entire anniversaries! Anyway here I am...

Idly perusing the Wikipedia "on this day" type listings for November 22nd I did come across a couple of maritime-related entries of which the more significant is undoubtedly:-
      1869 – In Dumbarton, Scotland, the clipper Cutty Sark is launched – one of the last clippers ever built, and the only one still surviving today.

Perhaps our French members might be interested to know that on this day in 845, the first King of all Brittany, Nominoe defeats the Frankish king Charles the Bald at the Battle of Ballon near Redon.

I only now, today, realised that it was on 22nd November that writer George Eliot was born. Oh I wonder if my mother had known that? For there is a family connection in that around the time my mother married, my grandfather farmed on the estate in Warwickshire where George Elliot was born and spent childhood years.

I certainly knew that it was the birthday of the composer Benjamin Britten, for I have enjoyed his music since my youth. One of his works is linked for me with the most notable event to have taken place on the 22nd of November, this year the 50th anniversary – the assassination of President John F Kennedy. It is often said that everyone in the appropriate age group can remember what they were doing that day. Well, I was at home with my parents and had just been telling them that I would like to listen to Britten's War Requiem on the radio that evening, when the news broke. In the event, with programmes cancelled as inappropriate throughout the day and replaced by an early example of the 24/7 style news coverage that we now take for granted at such times, only the appropriately sombre War Requiem was broadcast as scheduled.

Four years ago here on CVF my mood was serious but far from sombre as, encouraged and inspired by our Captain, I took the Day 1 of that first year of daily images in Seagull's Skyscape and what a start …blessed by a rainbow!

Comment

Also a very happy day back to you. Such a sky is a nice sign in a grey November week, where we hardly see the horizon here and have wet +3°C.
        Snow is announced, but for next week when i have to travel by car again...
        I want you so much to interject the lively discussion on ChitChat thread. We desperately need the contribution of a lady from Manchester, who is still feeling like an immigrant living in Edinburgh since decades...
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• Seagull
          Seagull commented
          Editing a comment
          No you don’t! …that would be too much about me and too little about Scotland and England!

Yes, Happy Day. And down here the sun shines to emphasise the fact.
        I must add another "special" happening today. Hopefully, if it goes to plan, the HLC Palanpur will be at Heyshaven, Rotterdam, to load the City of Adelaide for transport via Norfolk, Virginia; Cape Town, and thence to Port Hedland, WA, Dampier, and round to Adelaide, SA. Actually, Cecilia she predates the Cutty Sark as the oldest surviving clipper by 5 years.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• Seagull
          Seagull commented
          Editing a comment
          So pleased that my rather random quote prompted your response Ivy , and now that you’ve caught my interest I see on this BBC page that I missed a Scottish connection!

Enjoy your day Cecilia.
        About Nominoe:as we have big social demonstrations since few weeks in Brittany Nominoe is quite a star!

Comment

• Seagull
          Seagull commented
          Editing a comment
          ...and I'd never even heard of him before, Yves!

So pleased that my rather random quote prompted your response Ivy , and now that you’ve caught my interest I see on this BBC page that I missed a Scottish connection!
        So you obviously did not see my post a few weeks ago, Cecilia?
        Ivy

Comment

• Seagull
          Seagull commented
          Editing a comment
          Ivy! I'd totally missed that! Not at all like me, and I can only imagine that I was still battling with the new software at the time, especially if not getting through all the unread posts in one sitting. (Actually that was also a problem with the old software if one replied to a post before reading the other unreads.)
          But what a serendipitous thing that St Cecilia drew this to my attention in a roundabout sort of way!

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
        Yes, Happy Day. And down here the sun shines to emphasise the fact.
        I must add another "special" happening today. Hopefully, if it goes to plan, the HLC Palanpur will be at Heyshaven, Rotterdam, to load the City of Adelaide for transport via Norfolk, Virginia; Cape Town, and thence to Port Hedland, WA, Dampier, and round to Adelaide, SA. Actually, Cecilia she predates the Cutty Sark as the oldest surviving clipper by 5 years.
        There is a picture of her being lifted and load on board the Palanpur in Rotterdam on the Maasmond Maritime - Shipping News Clippings today.
        Sounds like a long trip with a lot of other cargo being loaded as well.

Comment

It was my Aussie friend who told me about the City of Adelaide after we had visited the Cutty Sark together. I checked it out and was very interested to read her history. She came down to London, where she was moored next to her "sister", Cutty Sark, for a brief time before being transported on the barge Louise van der Vees, towed by the tug Dutch Pioneer down the Thames to Sheerness, in Kent. Excitedly I watched her down the river, then she seemed to stay in Sheerness most of the day and I didn't think they would cross the channel at night with a cargo like that. But next morning they were all in Zeebrugge. There my trail stopped. I found the tug again later, but heading south and obviously on another job. Meanwhile no sign of the barge.
          The C. of A. was shrinkwrapped in Dordrecht but somehow I missed the to-ings and fro-ings there until by sheer chance checked the other day and found the Palanpur yesterday, moored east of the Benelux tunnel in the Nieuwe Maas. But I still didn't know whether she had loaded the cutter.
          Unfortunately I can't find that picture of The C. of A. being loaded, perhaps because I am not subscribed. I would so have loved to send it to John, he'd be thrilled. There is nothing in the Online Shipping News as far as I can see.
          Ivy

Comment

Yes, I could see that and went right through it twice, but no sign of the Palanpur. I can only get up to pages 20/21. Is there more?
          PS, wait a minute - got it! The print is miniscule, almost unreadable and I didn't recognise the shrinkwrapped object for what it is.
          PPS. Ok, have found that it can be enlarged. Snipping tool has done its work and I can despatch it to John.

Happy St. Cecilia's Day + 1
          Ivy

Comment

Here is a link to the loading operation: http://www.oldsaltblog.com/2013/11/l...r-voyage-home/

Comment

• wherrygirl
              wherrygirl commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you. I have passed it on to John, it's an excellent video.

There is a picture of the departure from Rotterdam in the Newsclippings today.

Comment

wel lets place the end of her journey too, from maasmond newsletter.

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

but maybe it's better if these replie's go to a better thread,we where so far OT with the ''çity of adelaide''.
                  best regards Thijs

Comment

• wherrygirl
                    wherrygirl commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes Thijs, as I told you, I'm starting a special thread for it soon.
                Working...
                X