I just bought a Mac...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just bought a Mac...

Yesterday I got my brand new MacBook Air. My five-years-old Dell Latitude D620 has served me well, but has started to play up slightly. So I decided to go with something else to see what the fuss is all about. The reasoning behind going for the 13" MacBook Air was that I felt the 11" was too small, as I still wanted a big-ish screen, but maximum portability as I will use it to take notes at lectures. I will also use it to do some photo editing in the "field"; Got Photoshop CS5 Extended (student version) for Christmas from my brother.

So far I have to say I like it very much, super light and fast with 256 GB SSD, 2,14 GHz chip, and 4 GB Ram. I'm also impressed by the multitouch surface, works really well...

Yes, that's an iPhone on top of it, it's that thin...
    Olympus user
    E-M1, E-M5
    w/ Lots of new and old (adapted lenses)...

Hurtigruten ships traveled on:
    MS Richard With, MS Nordnorge, MS Nordkapp, MS Nordlys, MS Finnmarken, MS Midnatsol (Both old and new)

Cruise ships traveled on:
    MS Sunbird, former RCI Song of America, now MS Louis Olympia (August 2002)
    MS Adventure of the Seas (October 2010)
    MS Vision of the Seas (June 2012)
    MS Enchantment of the Seas (October 2016)

Congratulations!

Welcome to the world of the "fruit products" (Apple I mean).

I bet you will love the feeling of the Air: I've heard it starts quickly, and that it outshines most other brands.

Also, it speculated that within the next few weeks MacBook Pro's might also feature this kind of drives.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Welcome to the world of the "fruit products" (Apple I mean).
      If I go 'bananas' over my laptop, can I be in...?

Congratulations, Erik!!!
      I've always said I will never grow envious on anybody, but you make me go pretty darn close

My only fruit-product up to now is my iPhone, and since I'm past the camera-dilemma (finally), I have a strong suspision that my next one will be pc or Mac.
      I've totally fallen in love with the portable equipment so it will never be a stationary one in this house.

I see you have a passion for the Lockheed SR-71 back there.
      Coud you, if it's not asking too much, go macro on that one and maybe post a picture of it in the aviation dept. here at CVF??
      As a former aviator and aviation geek myself, it would also be interesting to hear why you've choosen just that one model out of the thousands out there on the market.
      (Looked like you had a special relationship with the Blackbird, it's just that (combined with my curiousity)) .
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Yes, I'm impressed with it so far. It wakes up very quickly, takes two seconds tops from when you open the lid, untill it's ready. I have to say I like the lightness and thinness very much. It also had no problems running Photo Shop CS5 Extended, as well as demanding games like Half Life 2 and it's expansions...

I can make a post about the SR-71 in the aviation dept. Kind of a long story and a fascination from seeing it up close (Both at the USS Interpid (Original single seater A-12) in NYC, and National Air & Space Museum at Dulles International)
        Olympus user
        E-M1, E-M5
        w/ Lots of new and old (adapted lenses)...

Hurtigruten ships traveled on:
        MS Richard With, MS Nordnorge, MS Nordkapp, MS Nordlys, MS Finnmarken, MS Midnatsol (Both old and new)

Cruise ships traveled on:
        MS Sunbird, former RCI Song of America, now MS Louis Olympia (August 2002)
        MS Adventure of the Seas (October 2010)
        MS Vision of the Seas (June 2012)
        MS Enchantment of the Seas (October 2016)

Comment

Very ***y computer. I'm currently looking for something small and light with good battery life. So far I have not even considered a Mac. I think I need to do some more research.

Comment

Apple updates the new MacBook Air:

http://mac1.no/artikkel/9576/apple-o...book-air-igjen

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Someone else has something to confess?

Comment

You got the photo!!! (I'm so new at sending photos from my phone!)
                Yes, that is MY box of iMac..... with FREE wireless printer!!!!!

It is still in the box.....I am waiting for "her majesty" to wake up so she can photograph/video it as per SOMEONE's request........

Will tell all...but basically my 4-year old PC crashed. I was able to back it up before I did a system restore (and, having listed to our Captain, keep all my photos and docs etc on an external drive...) but it is STILL giving me fits...so I had ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The experience, so far, has been wonderful. The Apple store actually TALKED ME OUT OF SPENDING MORE MONEY! I was all set to get lots extra RAM, but the "apple guys" (I actually had 3 different ones help me!!) said I was thinking like a PC owner, and Macs are different.....

They even transported the boxes out to my car!

Will report later......

Comment

EEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                    ......I am waiting for "her majesty" to wake up so she can photograph/video it as per SOMEONE's request........
                    Can't wait to see this.... as you may already have figured out, and if you have seen at youtube, this is a very common thing to do.

The web is flooding over of videos and pictures of people unpacking their (first) Apple....

To me, it sometimes appear as if the world is waking up and are being spellbound by the fruity products. I wonder if it is the iPhone or the iMAC which has had the biggest influence on people, and the decisive point turning them away from PC's...

I do remember firing up my iMAC for the first time: it was as near as you could be to an "orgaßm" without it actually being one...

My dream now is the 27" iMAC.... because for me, size does matter!

But I'm waiting a little, because there are some rumors around the Internet that Apple is maybe planning on launching a 32" and a 36" version sometime in the not distant future.

I think I would go for the 36" in a heartbeat if it was ever launched.

Comment

Well, I can't locate where she put my camera down after she finished the absurd videos of me opening boxes.....

But here are a few pics of the new iMac in situ.....

Set up on my newly relocated desk.....(no more sitting in the middle of the window!)

I also bought a track pad, as I liked the way it worked with my fingers....

You may notice a cord! The Mac came with the standard wireless keyboard and magic mouse, but it did not have the numeric keyboard to the right of the qwerty keyboard.....so I got the larger keyboard as I use the numeric keypad a great deal.

I'm still loading photos onto the new system, so I have a generic screensaver on right now.....and I won't get far into the learning curve as I am leaving on my spring trip with my mom on Friday (and I'll be in court on Thursday, and have to pack Wednesday and have to do laundry tomorrow.....) but Crystal has installed some Macs onboard, so maybe I can practice a little. Mostly right now I am "I wonder how to do THAT" and looking it up one by one on Google.....

Iphoto's organization will take some getting used to............all in good time.........

Comment

Oh, and anyone have any suggestions on what to name her/him/it?????????

(Do computers have a gender????)

Comment

....Mostly right now I am "I wonder how to do THAT" and looking it up one by one on Google.....
                          Iphoto's organization will take some getting used to............all in good time.........
                          Doing much the same with my iPad. Yes, iTunes….I don’t feel I have really quite embraced the concepts and way of thinking yet… still fighting against the way it just kind of goes ahead and does things its own way.(dunno)

Didn’t help that moving from the OS version 3 something to 4 didn’t initially work properly and in having to do a restore I somehow lost stuff. Nothing that mattered though – in fact there were photos which I’d put on while I was away (just to see them bigger than on the camera and as a temporary initial back up while travelling) but which once home I’d put on a PC and back up portable drives in my normal way. I would then have wanted to remove them from the i-Pad and had been at the point of trying to discover how I could do that without having to go through the motions of deleting hundreds of photos one by one!

Great to see the pics of the new set-up E.

Comment

Oh, and anyone have any suggestions on what to name her/him/it?????????....
                            E, what a thing to ask! So personal! (My iPad is a he and is called Paddy).

Pakarang dear, we know your car has a name, but does your iMAC have a name? ….ummm, maybe we don’t actually need to know….it is probably a Thai name and completely unpronounceable anyway!!!!!

Comment

Ok....when I saw the initial videos I was only going to send them to Pakarang, as my appearance is absolutely humiliating...(Sunday morning...in my sweats, no shower, and my hair hasn't seen a hairbrush in 24 hours....and yes, the camera added 30 pounds in this instance)..but because I LIVE to make you all laugh............

Video 1

Video 2

Comment

Working...
                              X