X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silly question: MAC or PC

Silly question: MAC or PC

Just toying with a really silly question today: if you had 2.000US$ available and had to pick a new computer for yourself, what would you choose: a MAC or a PC?

I know, it's a silly question and one that has been asked over and over again, but I find it fascinating nevertheless.

My choice would be MAC... a 15 inch MacBookPro... (not surprised__?).

Reason?

Love the stylish, lean and clean look and the ease of computing as opposed to my slow experiences on PC. I also love the relatively bug free environment, but detest the lack of certain programs and the high price of software (though, with a connection to Thailand, I'm thrilled about the alternative of optional software.... ).
    MAC
    60.00%
    PC
    40.00%
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

I would have to opt for a PC, though i doubt i would buy a ready assembled one. I would use the money to build myself a pc suitable for my needs. Biggest reason is that I would want the XP operating system. I have hated every single encounter i have had with Vista based pc's - totally fed up with the way it constantly bugs me by asking if i want to allow this or that. And totally fed up with not being able to install programs where i want them - namely the programs folder. I have not tried Windows 7 yet, but i think it will still contain the same amount of annoyances. XP lets me get on with my computer life with the minimum amount of interference.

I would not go for a MAC for a couple of reasons. Firstly the price of components. If i wanted to upgrade the graphics card on a MAC then i would be paying nearly double the price of the PC's equivalent.

Also the lack of programs and support for the MAC, so much on the net is aimed at the PC, I would hate not being able to have that 'handy' free program simply because it was not available for my machine.

And finally, I am familiar with the PC, on the whole my PC gives me little trouble, and if i do find a problem i can normally fix it easily. And if it is a problem i cannot solve for myself, a quick google search will, 99.9% of the time, give me the info i need.

So for me I will stick with the XP based pc. I know that support for XP will eventually be phased out, so then i guess i will be forced to upgrade. But for me at the moment, the advantages of up-grading are out weighed by all the annoyances i find with Vista. So i hope Windows 7 will be better.
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

As the designated, appointed, anointed "IT" director around here (a title I do not want, never thought I'd have, and would like to get rid of as soon as possible) if I had $2000 I would gladly throw Alan's Dell laptop against a wall repeatedly.

It's not the Laptop...it's Vista, I'm sure. Or he gets into "something" and it gets fouled up at least twic e a week. He brings it home at night and says "here--my Outlook isn't syncing properly" or "why is my mail so slow" or "what happened to my crossword puzzles" or "the automatic backup isn't backing up".....

Last night I said --Literally, you can ask him-- "Jan-Olav was right. This doesn't happen to MACs ".........

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
        It's not the Laptop...it's Vista, I'm sure.
        See, the PC is not the problem, Mr Gates is the problem

Now wouldn't it be nice if Mozilla brought out an operating system?
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Actually, for some reason, Mozilla is losing customer base these days to other browsers. But I love firefox, and only use firefox. It's a hard competition.

I heard about "a few" problems with sync operation in Windows 7 (the new hot thing), as well as other things.....

But, now with Snow Leopard out at the Apple stores, I'll never turn back again. It was difficult to make the change, but once I did, I know it was worth it. I had, like Steve experienced nothing else than frustration over the Vista.... loss of data, crashes, freezes, language problems, and the endless questions if "I really want to do that, and that".

XP was better and Vista was the main reason (and a beautiful, very pretty sales girl), I swapped to MAC.
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
          Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
          Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
            XP was better and Vista was the main reason (and a beautiful, very pretty sales girl), I swapped to MAC.
            men are all alike

Comment

Working...
            X