No announcement yet.

Polo's Bits and Pieces

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just across the aqueduct over the River Avon was the Hippie Boat and Fairy Shop - I'm a bit intrigued, I'm not sure I'd want to buy a hippie or a fairy, fair trade or otherwise.

Some interesting bits and pieces - think they'd call this an eclectic range up in London.

Whilst on the other side of the canal this young lady and a young man with a nice camera turned up - and she started to dance. On the side of a Somerset Canal. In December. Bare foot. With bells on her ankles. We don't see much of that sort of thing here. (To be fair, we do see old men dancing pretty much anywhere with bells on for the rest of the year, but it is closed season at the moment for them - I think).

One of the locals clearly thought this was worth a closer look ...

and after this turn will need to be in the closing credits of their film I think.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Nice walk. Obviously despite a warm and nice weekend not the season to travel on the canals. And when i look at you first pictures there is not much space left to travel, this waterway seems to be blocked. Nice offers at the Hippie Boat, but also not really my style. Very strange photo shooting, Indian style. But why in winter and why with bare feet?
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Hi Ralf! The busy bit of the canal is the spur that runs from the main K&A just before Dundas aqueduct, for about 1km along the old Somerset Coal Canal, where there is now a dead end - although the tunnel under the road at the end of this cul de sac is used as a dry dock now. All of those boats are parked up for the winter, and many of them will disappear in the spring. I believe that the licence is cheaper if you're 'on the move', i.e. don't spend more than a few days in the same place. That's easy to do in the summer for folks that don't live on the boats, but most of them are moored up in the winter. Looking at one of the nicer moorings near Devizes, the cost is something like £10 per foot of boat per quarter, so for a 70' boat that's quite a lot of money!
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
        X