No announcement yet.

Polo's Bits and Pieces

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just across the aqueduct over the River Avon was the Hippie Boat and Fairy Shop - I'm a bit intrigued, I'm not sure I'd want to buy a hippie or a fairy, fair trade or otherwise.

Some interesting bits and pieces - think they'd call this an eclectic range up in London.

Whilst on the other side of the canal this young lady and a young man with a nice camera turned up - and she started to dance. On the side of a Somerset Canal. In December. Bare foot. With bells on her ankles. We don't see much of that sort of thing here. (To be fair, we do see old men dancing pretty much anywhere with bells on for the rest of the year, but it is closed season at the moment for them - I think).

One of the locals clearly thought this was worth a closer look ...

and after this turn will need to be in the closing credits of their film I think.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Nice walk. Obviously despite a warm and nice weekend not the season to travel on the canals. And when i look at you first pictures there is not much space left to travel, this waterway seems to be blocked. Nice offers at the Hippie Boat, but also not really my style. Very strange photo shooting, Indian style. But why in winter and why with bare feet?
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Hi Ralf! The busy bit of the canal is the spur that runs from the main K&A just before Dundas aqueduct, for about 1km along the old Somerset Coal Canal, where there is now a dead end - although the tunnel under the road at the end of this cul de sac is used as a dry dock now. All of those boats are parked up for the winter, and many of them will disappear in the spring. I believe that the licence is cheaper if you're 'on the move', i.e. don't spend more than a few days in the same place. That's easy to do in the summer for folks that don't live on the boats, but most of them are moored up in the winter. Looking at one of the nicer moorings near Devizes, the cost is something like £10 per foot of boat per quarter, so for a 70' boat that's quite a lot of money!
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Haven't posted in here for years, but thought some of these may be of interest.

We had a family trip to Windsor just before Easter (long story) which was great fun. Windsor, Berkshire, is just outside London, and the Castle is the Queen's second official residence. It's been in the press a lot lately for other royal reasons, no comment on all of that.

During the day the place is packed with tourists, but it usually gets rather more sparsely occupied in the evening as the buses and trains ferry the visitors away.

It's never properly quiet though, after about 4am and until about 11pm there are plenty of these things around, typically every 90s, a couple of minutes away from touchdown at Heathrow Airport.

This old dear was directing traffic outside the Castle.

This one looked familiar, although I must admit I thought she was shorter.

Down by the river there was a lot of activity.

From the front ...

and from behind ...

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Lots of swans.

And DUKWs.

Not many rightangles around though.

Other railways were available (pre 1948) but few were as special:

Even today the entrance to the station concourse for Windsor & Eton Central station (there is another one, on another railway, down by the riverside, it's called Windsor & Eton, err, Riverside), especially in the evening.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

And finally, a few more evening photos.

The 'old Bridge' going across the River Thames to Eton.

The Eton side had some good looking places to eat, this one belongs to a chain, but they're pretty good and score huge points for their location.

The High Street - a very posh McDonalds straightahead (I assume they sell Scottish food?)

The Town Hall (designed by Sir Christopher Wren - the most popular jobbing builder of the 17th Century).

And the neighbours. Is that a curtain you can see twitching?

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Nice, especially those night shots are moodfull!

Comment

Very enticing photos. Thanks for posting. (Nari)

Comment

What a wonderful place you have shared with us. I really loved the building which looks like it's about to fall over. Amazing that they are still able to do business in it.

And the one with HM the Queen in the doorway was actually quite funny. It looks like she is just peaking out on what's going on outside. Great catch. It looks quite real I must say.
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Very enjoyable post Polo and showcasing your always excellent and charmingly distinctive photography. It is a place I knew only from above, as in your first picture!

Comment

There is so much catching up that I have to do with all the travel threads that people have been presenting. If I don't get going quickly they will all be off again somewhere else!
                        I have been to Windsor only once and that was when the then Chairman of the Bungay Society asked if I'd organise a day trip there for the members. I can't remember what it was, but there was a particular reason for going at that time and it must have been significant, as I'd already done our 5-day spring break in May plus two day trips somewhere or other. Whatever it was, it was special to the Castle and we had only a little time to explore the town.
                        So it's great that you've posted your pics. I fully agree with Cecilia's remark - and would add that your quirky comments always raise a quiet chuckle.
                        That Duck Stop one reminded me of the Splashbus trip in Rotterdam that Thijs took Ralf, Regine and myself on. We weren't blessed with the sunshine but it was such great fun all the same. (There was nothing like that on my Windsor visit!). The shopping arcade is just perfect. Pics. like this can be rather dull sometimes, can't they, but there is something arresting about this one. Being a night scene helps, I suppose - but the delicacy of the backlit glass screen below the clock and the few figures about, plus the balance of the street light against the light on the upper stories of the building at the right is perfect.
                        I also love #306.2, the restaurant from across the bridge and also the fifth one in that post, startling in its contrasting. Mind you, Mark, that's not to say that I don't enjoy the swan photos, just because I've not mentioned them till now. They're gorgeous.
                        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• PoloUK
                          PoloUK commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks Ivy!
                      Working...
                      X