Polo's Bits and Pieces

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polo's Bits and Pieces

A bit like Thijs, I occasionally find that there are photos that I'd like to share, but can't find the best place to post them. I'm not sure how many photos come into that category, but let's create this thread and see what happens.
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Re: Polo's Bits and Pieces

So today was a crisp late Autumn day, blue sky, frost on the ground, a bit of strength left in the sun.

We needed the shops, so we travelled the 14 miles (about 20km) to Bath. Our nearest town, Bath is a stunning regency place, full of cotswold stone buildings, the roman hot baths, an excellent theatre, good shops and a large number of tourists coming to see this superb UNESCO limited place.

The town nestles in the Avon valley, as we dropped down the A4 and over the border from Wiltshire the mist was still clearing and there was frost in the shaded parts of the fields. The view wasn't clear, but it was breathtaking.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Town itself was waking up as we had our cup of tea, and by the time we walked into the centre there were plenty of people around. The Christmas decorations are up - rather more graceful and stylish than in some of our other towns, and even looking good unlit and in the daytime.

The Roman Baths are a major tourist attraction, with the warm sulphurous waters and the elegant setting being the goal for many of our visitors. Didn't go in today, but the gracious buildings around the Pump Rooms were looking great.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Bath Abbey is an ancient centre of worship, and still very much alive today, both for the locals and the 350,000+ visitors that come here every year. Jacob's Ladder is a major feature of the West Front - intriguing, absorbing, stunning.

More on the Abbey at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_Abbey and http://www.bathabbey.org

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

In the square outside there is plenty of street entertainment - the city attracting more than its fair share of talented 'buskers'. Here the golden lady stood still, unless you found a coin to encourage her to move.

Meanwhile, down by the famous Poultney Bridge with its elegant shops, the weir was glistening in the sun, and a large tree had become lodged, making for an interesting view.

Two lazy cups of tea, a walk around Marks and Spencer and a few shop windows later, it was time to pay the extortionate parking fee and to head east to the supermarket and home!
          Last edited by PoloUK; November 18th, 2012, 18:56.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

That was nice Mark. I had never been to Bath until 2008 when I was invited to a wedding of two former students. It was at exactly this time of year, and I remember thinking that the Christmas decorations were more tasteful than many! I had a second visit one year later for a conference, which included a delightful social evening function in the Roman Baths.

Your photos show off that lovely building stone, and I also enjoyed the unusual and effective reflections picture to end with.

Comment

great shots of a nice place mark.impressive church and a nice waterladder,must be great to live there
              best regards Thijs

Comment

Thanks Cecilia and Thijs. Of course the Christmas Market starts next weekend, then it will be BUSY!!

http://www.bathchristmasmarket.co.uk

A relatively new event for the city, but one that's taken off in a big way and really livened the place up.

We really do have a strange mix of people in Bath, and that probably helps to make it a little different. In term time we have all the students from the two Universities based in the town, plus the locals like us descending from the towns and villages around Bath, then the tourists from all over the world - and then even the people that live in the City!!

Cecilia - you mention the relatively tasteful lights - yep, they're not bad, and in some parts of town they're positively beautiful. Bath does work quite hard to remain classy (sometimes rather too much so), but I suspect that that may be related to dealing with some of the appalling planning decisions made in the 1960s and 1970s. Fortunately a lot of time and money has been invested in making the place look good - with the most recent addition being the new shops in the 'Southgate' development - modern, but all in Cotswold Stone, and designed to tone in well with the rest of town. In my opinion, they've succeeded.
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Hi Mark.
                  Years ago, going to Cardiff for a Wales-France(rugby of course) I planned a two days stop-over in Bath.You are right when you say it is classy,indeed in the good way.It was in February, not crowded,with a cool sun of winter giving nice colors to the stone.I actually enjoyed this city,both downtown and surroundings.Your photos illustrate perfectly what at felt there.

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                    (rugby of course)
                    Thanks Yves, I believe that other forms of Football are available - but not in this bit of the country!!

As I'm sure you know, Bath has a good, strong Rugby Union team, and their ground overlooks the river, right next to the weir.
                    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Dear Polo!

A wonderful start on a thread well underway: it'll be wonderful to see the continuation of your bit's and pieces.

And as already mentioned, the Bath Abbey is impressive.
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Something a little different. Today we headed east from Wiltshire towards the South East and London. Every year we visit the Norwegian Seamen's Church in Rotherhithe for the Julbasar (Christmas market) - so that Mrs PoloUK can stock up on all the things she can't easily find in our bit of England, and perhaps speak some Norwegian. That's tomorrow, and the weather forecast is such that there probably won't be any photos - but today it was clear and dry for the first time in several days, so the Gorillapod and I went for a walk.

To the east of the hotel is the Excel Exhibition Centre and London City Airport, to the West is the Canary Wharf development and O2 Centre (formerly known as the Milennium Dome). A bit late for too many planes making the steep ascent and descent into LCY, but the new cross-river Cable Cars are just about visible in front of the O2.

I'm nothing like as good at these night time shots as some of you Scandis - but that's partly 'cos we get less night to practice with!! (And partly 'cos I'm just not as good at this photography lark as many of you too).

Last edited by PoloUK; November 24th, 2012, 00:45. Reason: Was written in 'street', not English!!
                        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Last edited by PoloUK; November 24th, 2012, 00:44.
                          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Dear Mark,

Those are some really beautiful night-time shots! Thank you for inspiring and for sharing.
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                            Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                            Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Your night time shots are up with the best, Mark. I'm enjoying this thread.
                              By the way - what's wrong with street? (Providing it's clean, of course)
                              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Working...
                              X