• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ÖSlJ - the museum railway Mariefred-Läggesta-Taxinge

Tug S/S Robert also came and moored.

Funnel-triple.

And a bow-hat-trick.

Welcome to Mariefred, we pretend that it's not raining here...

Comment

After enjoying your sunny Stockholm photos earlier yesterday, I see that it does actually rain in Sweden sometimes!!!! …reminds me of when I once took a walk despite such rain, and in the middle of nowhere there was an improvised stage and seats for some outdoor concert or other…and every single one taken with folk in colourful plastic macs determined to enjoy the outdoor Swedish summer!

Nice to see more photos of Mariefred whatever the weather. I especially like the wet spanner motif, the rain-on-windows and dripping from the cable in #13/2, and the seat. Great to see S/S Ejdern, and the arrival of S/S Mariefred is a such an evocative image. Little Robert too!

Comment

Thank you seagull. Yesterday actually was the coldest 2nd of June in Stockholm for 84 years! Guess if we were freezing?
        My photo bag finally dried up, it took almost 24 hours.

Here comes a quickly produced piece of video:

All handheld in wind and pouring rain, so I hope you can stand that it's a bit shaky.

Comment

Thank you for this phantastic report. I especially like the "rain-rain-rain-picture". It is a pity that all the organisation ends in a kind of a private party due to that weather. Nice video with fitting music. Very relaxing and the best at the final seconds..... chooo-chooo-choo-choo-chochocho...

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Thank you Ralf, you're very welcome for a visit, I can perhaps arrange for a private guidance!

Comment

So here comes some new pictures from last saturday, some are a bit arty.

"Gaivoron" is the newest engine. It's actually a diesel engine from Russia, used mostly those days when steam operation ain't possible.

Personnel having fun.

Comment

The evening is getting darker, and it gets harder to take proper photos.

Blur!

Comment

The station building in Mariefred.

The waiting room.

Comment

Comment

Oooohhhhh, Night Train!
                      And my favourites are, in no particular order… #22/3 and /5 and #23/2

Comment

And MY favourite is INDEED #22 / 4

That looks so spooooky and scary. And I wonder how on earth you have been able to THAT

Comment

Originally posted by HurtigruteMartin View Post
                          And MY favourite is INDEED #22 / 4

That looks so spooooky and scary. And I wonder how on earth you have been able to THAT
                          It's interesting to see how different people rank pictures. Actually my favs are #22:1 & 2.

The #22:4 is just taken handheld with a quite long exposure time: 0,6 secs. The picture has a "zoom feeling" since the train is partly coming towards me. Compare that to #22:2 where the engine is passing me from left to right, which gives a more "panning feeling". Easiest way to practice this kind of photography is to photograph cars passing on a road.
                          All new train pictures were taken in quite low light. Instead of struggling to get everything sharp, I took the easy way: just make it blurry!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommi View Post
                            !

In the good old days , with my analogue camara, I worked a little bit with speed-feeling, using long exposure-time. And also manipulate a little bit in the dark-room, using my hands to get the background blury. So I figured out you have used quite long exposure-time here. I also experimented a bit using zoom DURING the exposure. So I wondered if you actually used an active zoom during the exact exposure-time????????

Anyway. What facinated me about this, was what I FELT when I saw it. It felt like having a visual NIGHTMARE....... The locomotive has a scary face. Just like a ghost is coming to take me. And the expression on this picture gives me associations to Edvard Munch`s painting "SKRIK" (scream)

I just LOOOOVE this picture. Even if it is not very wise to look at it just before bed-time

Comment

I think #22/1 is my favorite with the billowing steam.

Comment

What an interesting thread!!! Thank you very much, Tommi..., for taking us through this!

I've attended courses and got a license to run huge boilers. Wonder if I could've run a steam train...? Think NOT.

When looking at those 'ågnbåtar' (steam boats), all I can think of is Saltkråkan
                                (Strange how a tv series from my early childhood has burned itself into my memory).

Also love your details and up close pictures much, and looking at the interior of that station is like being put back in time. Must have been strange to step inside.
                                "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Working...
                                X