ÖSlJ - the museum railway Mariefred-Läggesta-Taxinge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ÖSlJ - the museum railway Mariefred-Läggesta-Taxinge

I have been posting quite many pictures from the museum rail road running between Mariefred, Läggesta and Taxinge in Sweden, so I guess it's time to start a new thread about it. The railroad is operated by volenteers doing a lot of tasks on their free time. The real name of the railroad is "Östra Sörmlands Järnväg", ÖSlJ in short, that means "The railroad of eastern Södermanland".

The homepage of the railroad can be found here: http://www.oslj.nu/

Re: ÖSlJ - the museum railway Mariefred-Läggesta-Taxinge

Last afternoon a couple of friends took me along for a visit to the workshop where a lot of repairs were being made to keep the material in good usable shape.

Typical winter outside.

Locomotive #8 "Emsfors"

The electric locomotive #15 "Garpen"

The building plate of "Lessebo"...

...and some details.

Comment

A lot of work going on. Seen from far to near: Lessebo, the chassis of #2 Virå, and the chimney of locomotiv "9".

Something says that there's a lot of work left to be done before "Virå" is ready for operaton again. yes, it's the chassis where the buckets of paint are standing on...

The "Nine" is probably a simplier case, "just" a broken axle.

Some details.

A little bit like Nordstjernen?

Comment

Upstairs there's a storage of all kind of probably-good-to-have-stuff.

A oil can.

A telephone switch board.

Drawings can be handy.

Or some replacement glass tubes to the lamps.

More lamps.

Comment

Signs for all purposes.

A old coffee can, perfect to store some nuts and bolts or whatever.

That's all for now, but I'm kind of planning to return bringing some more lenses with me...
          Many thanks for the friends at ÖSlJ.

Comment

Great pictures from the train workshop, Tommi
            Always interesting to see what one can find inside of such a workshop of old things.
            Come up with more pictures when you can.
            Best wishes from
            Bengt Domben

Comment

Don't know if you guys will find this interesting or not, but my other life involves working at a major railway signalling and control company. Now called Invensys, it was formerly Westinghouse Brake & Signal, and for all sorts of reasons I've ended up as a sort of unofficial archivist.

We've published a couple of books on the history of the Company, but thought you may find some of the photos in these interesting - some fantastic engineering from the 1890s through to the 1940s.

http://www.polunnio.co.uk/gallery_1.html
              http://www.polunnio.co.uk/gallery_2.html
              http://www.polunnio.co.uk/gallery_3.html
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Oh my, what a treat Tommi…and now here’s some interesting links from Mark too….well this will keep me happy for the rest of the evening…
                ...so I’ll just leave you for now with the inevitable comment that everything in Sweden runs on coffee!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                  Don't know if you guys will find this interesting or not, but my other life involves working at a major railway signalling and control company. Now called Invensys, it was formerly Westinghouse Brake & Signal, and for all sorts of reasons I've ended up as a sort of unofficial archivist. We've published a couple of books on the history of the Company, but thought you may find some of the photos in these interesting - some fantastic engineering from the 1890s through to the 1940s.
                  Those signal systems are like giant monsters of mechanics. Must have been quite tricky to keep them up and running?

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                  Oh my, what a treat Tommi…and now here’s some interesting links from Mark too….well this will keep me happy for the rest of the evening…
                  ...so I’ll just leave you for now with the inevitable comment that everything in Sweden runs on coffee!!!!!!
                  And there's actually one more coffee can in picture #4:6!

Comment

Those signal systems are like giant monsters of mechanics. Must have been quite tricky to keep them up and running?
                    They were beautifully designed out of lots of very similar components, machined in the factory by folks that made bits for any signalling or braking system we were producing - right from castings, through fettling and machining to assembly. Once they were put together and oiled occasionally (some adjustment), they basically worked for every. There are still hundreds of smaller lever frames in the UK, and thousands in the world, which are only now being replaced because they're difficult to adjust and aren't compatible with new train protection systems.

We create electronic / computer based interlockings today which use military grade hardware built to aviation safety standards - and they basically implement the same rules as those beautiful old frames!
                    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Thank you for creating this thread, Tommi. The guys will be happy to have such a documentation of the work and all these treasures. I enjoy it alo very much, of course.
                      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

An interesting thread - and I in particular fancy the images of old details and dusty memorabilia.

There is hardly anything more interesting and inspiring than the old things we used to take for granted a long time ago.

This thread reminds me a little bit about another museum I visited a long time ago, in Chatuchak Park in Bangkok...

From the old forum: Railway museum in Chatuchak, Bangkok [TH]
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Today it was the day of the steam in Mariefred. Not much summer around. It was constantly raining, the thermometer was parked at 5 centigrade and the wind was around 6-8 m/s north west, BRR!

Train arriving at Läggesta station.

Details

"End of train sign"

Lots of engines in operation.

A classic Swedish park bench made in Nävekvarn.

Comment

Somebody have made a real working model of one of the engines.

Rain-Rain-Rain!

The engine Emsfors in action.

Comment

Down at the steamboat quay S/S Ejdern was moored.

Steerboard side.

"Maja" is aproaching, Peter is taking photos.

And here comes "Maja", or S/S Mariefred that is the real name.

More rain - anyone?

Captain Insulander is a living legend on board S/S Mariefred.

Comment

Working...
                              X