Re: Anybody's General photo thread.

Bulbous Bow with Condom:

If my name was Edvard Munk this would be worth a fortune:

But what do YOU see here????

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
      Bulbous Bow with Condom:
      The new thing in protection against ship-enthusiasts....

I expect more cruise ships to be equipped similarly...
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Anybody want to venture a guess at what you are looking at here???:
        Last edited by ombugge; September 24th, 2012, 06:50.

Comment

Nice project name:

No price for guessing where this project is located.

Comment

Two AHTS seen at Batam a few days ago:

The names are Eagle 1 & Eagle 2.

They look so close and cozy. Do you think there could be Eaglets coming??:
            Last edited by ombugge; September 24th, 2012, 09:02.

Comment

For all us Photographers, especially the ones of us who are always hypercritical of our own work.........

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                For all us Photographers, especially the ones of us who are always hypercritical of our own work.........

Lady E.......You are just THAT great....

Inspired by all you great photographers here on CVF, and with some small advices from our dear captain pakarang, I will just let you know that I bought myself a new and "complicated" camera a month ago. For all you pro, I guess it is not "complicated" enough. But anyway. I bought a Canon EOS 550 D. With a standard Canon 18-55 mm lense. And I also added a standard Canon 70-300mm lense.

So far so good. Proud as I was, I started at once, thinking I was a pro. Here is my very first image from my new camera. Very creative indeed:::::

My very first though was to go back to the store and tell there was something wrong with THAT camera.
                My second thought, was that I wanted my money back, and continue to shoot pictures with my compact Canon Ixus.

My THIRD thought, was that I hmmmm perhaps should try to read the manual........

So I did. And after one night awake in my bed, reading the manual. I shot my very first outdoor-picture the next evening. And I was really proud of myself :

Comment

With a lot more confidence, I visited a big football-event for disabled people, try to shoot some sports-images and some sports-portraits:

A goal-keeper in action:

And a "handshake for peace" :

And also a "portrait" of an eager football-coach:

All these images shot with my 70-300mm lense from quite long distance.
                  Last edited by HurtigruteMartin; October 2nd, 2012, 07:32.

Comment

In my progress and improvement, I met a handsome guy who wnted to teach me some more about portrait-photo, and also some techniques of landscape:

So I tried to shoot some autumn-images with my new knowledge:

And I also sneaked in to a woman`s garden

I still have a long way to get used to my camera. I am not familiar with the program-wheel yet. And INDEED not familiar with all that digital numbers popping up on the screen, every time I touch a button. But I think this is a life-long progress. And I hope my improvement will go on and on and on. I will search this CV-forum for any kind of advices. And I hope some day I will be able to post images in other threads with OK images.
                    Last edited by HurtigruteMartin; October 2nd, 2012, 08:11. Reason: Last image will not appear on my screen. But never mind...

Comment

"Real men" don't read user manuals, but sometimes it's useful.

Congratulation with your new camera.
                      Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

An absolute delight to click on new posts this morning and find this “HurtigruteMartin, photographer: an autobiography” !
                        Thank you for including that wistful autumn mood which, as you already know, is so special a favourite of mine. And look how versatile in so many genres you are already –sports photographer, portrait photographer, photo-journalist…every one a shot to be proud of.

Add teacher –these posts will be such an encouragement to others starting out with a new camera.
                        I think I’d better join the class! –I never liked that quotation E shared…because when I first saw it I happened to have been looking out some photos I’d taken not just years but decades ago… and they look very much like the kind of thing I take now.

So I look forward to more “chapters” of your progress to inspire me in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Oistein View Post
                          "Real men" don't read user manuals, but sometimes it's useful.

Congratulation with your new camera.
                          According to my three sons Instruction Manual are for women and ****s**uals.
                          (I hope I have insulted half the world with that one)

Correction: That should read: "not insulted" and "2/3 of the world"
                          Last edited by ombugge; October 2nd, 2012, 16:51.

Comment

Oh, I don't know........ what was wrong with your first thought, Ombugge??????

Come to think of it, I rarely read instruction manuals, either. What does that make me???? EEEEK!
                            Last edited by wherrygirl; October 2nd, 2012, 19:45.
                            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Martin,
                              as you have noticed, photography is a lifelong learning consisting of a lot of different aspects - aesthetical, technical, etc...
                              I think that you shoot very interesting pictures, there's something very personal in your pictures. I'm pretty convinced that you will learn a lot during the next months. And don't forget: don't be afraid to ask "how could I shoot this" or "what do you think went wrong".

Congratulations for the new camera. I also have a 550D that I actually use quite much with the 18-55 and a (probably different) 70-300.
                              That's a very competent combo.

Comment

A BIG thank you to everyone for indeed FUNNY, thoughtful and helpful comments here.

To Oistein, ombugge and wherrygirl :
                                If it is SOOO ***-embarrasing to admit reading user-manuals, you can send me a PM, and I will copy some pages if you need to. Of course "out of public"

To Seagull:
                                Thanks for your eager support. YOUR photo-eye has inspired me since the first day I joined CVF. So no need to be modest

Originally posted by Tommi View Post
                                Martin,
                                I think that you shoot very interesting pictures, there's something very personal in your pictures.
                                And a big thank you, Tommi.
                                You are one of my absolute photo-idols. So that comment ment a lot to me. And I consider my photo as a personal "thing". So YES, I try to have personal expression. And I love to tell stories with my photos. And I look forward to all advices from you.

Comment

Working...
                                X