• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anybody's General photo thread.

Another undefined picture:

What do YOU see here???

Comment

Well, I wondered - sky with most unusual cloud formation? I don't think it is ripples on water because there are no dark sides to the ripples to give the 3D effect. The same applies to fabric of any kind, even fine silk. Neither do I think it's smoke because amongst the white streaks there would surely be large random patches.
      Down from some plant blowing in the wind? There again, down wouldn't seem to be blowing so evenly in the same direction, unless it's in a gale!
      Other than that, I've run out of brilliant thoughts. (dunno)
      Bet it's something that will make us stare incredulously.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

This was taken from a viewpoint a few feet away from that in my Day 227 in the 366 thread. The footbridge is over a small inlet from the River Waveney at Beccles, used for mooring small private boats.

PS By the way, what was your picture at #31, Ombugge?
        Last edited by wherrygirl; December 17th, 2011, 20:49.
        Ivy

Comment

That is a cute place for a picnic, Ivy.

Did you bring some food for the ducks too?

I always keep my old breads here in Trondheim for the places where there are ducks.... poor things, out there in the cold.
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Umm-umm, this was taken from the road but the other side may be OK for picnics, though it would still be too near the cars parked along where I was standing. I can think of far better places, well away from the madding crowd!
            I hadn't particularly thought to take a photo there, anyway, as I had merely gone to the builders' merchants just nearby. But then I saw the curve of the low brick bridge approach which, taken at the right spot and lined up with the bridge at the right angle, gave me the picture I used for my 366 with that good sinuous line, as Ralf immediately noticed.
            Then I thought I may as well take a "pretty" pic. from a few feet away, for anything with water draws me and the light was beautiful, as it is at this time of year around the middle of the day. As for the ducks, they ignored me as they saw I had nothing for them. Any stale bread of mine goes on my bird table if I haven't eaten it first! Ducks are tough, J-O, don't worry about them, they look after themselves when they are not scrounging off people! But you are good to feed them, all the same, better than binning the bread.
            Last edited by wherrygirl; December 25th, 2011, 01:22.
            Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
              You may make up your own mind about what you see here:

Or here:

Let us hear what you make it out to be, or what your imagination see here.
              Well I've solved these two: See #229 and #231.3 on the Heavy Lift Carriers thread. Are the markings in the second photo for the placing of more cribbing, Ombugge? Not needed in this case of the loading of the oil rig.
              Ivy

Comment

Some quickies from yesterday evening, this wasn't too easy at all...

Comment

Another picture of nothing:

Comment

Oh, Tommi you're "trotonen" on flickr? I didn't realise that until now, when I saw the firework-photo here that you commented with on flickr.
                    At first I was afraid someone had stolen your picture when I saw it here in the thread now :P

I really loved the first one of these. I think that one was really good.
                    Indeed not easy to take pictures of fireworks.

Comment

Ok, I know everyone outside the US is freaking out that these are bullets but just look at them. These are new ones I've just started using, made out of solid copper. Consider that they were going about 1'500 miles per hour (2'400 kph) when they hit and were rotating at almost 300'000 revolutions per minute. The engineering that goes into making something so simple perform so reliably under these unreal conditions amazes me. You can even see how the petals folded back matching the angle of the rifling marks.

Last edited by pilotdane; January 9th, 2012, 03:56.

Comment

Dane--I think they are quite PRETTY!!! They look like mini palm trees!!! What are you using them IN????

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                          Ok, I know everyone outside the US is freaking out that these are bullets but just look at them. These are new ones I've just started using, made out of solid copper. Consider that they were going about 1'500 miles per hour (2'400 kph) when they hit and were rotating at almost 300'000 revolutions per minute. The engineering that goes into making something so simple perform so reliably under these unreal conditions amazes me. You can even see how the petals folded back matching the angle of the rifling marks.

Almost something like we find in the nature. Good of you to photograph it, and record it.

Imagine how a high-speed camera would capture their "creation" would be...!
                          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

These were fired from my "black rifle" a SIG 556. It's the only rifle I have with a twist rate fast enough to stabilize these bullets. They are .224" (5.69mm) diameter and 1.037" (26.3mm) long which is very long and thin for a bullet. Great for retaining energy over long distances since the frontal area is so small but that long thin shape must be spun very fast to stabilize.

Normally these things go completely through whatever you shoot so they are difficult to find. To get these two I fired at large blocks of hard -10f (-23c) ice almost a foot (30cm) thick which was hard enough to get them to open but it did not slow them down enough and I had to use a metal detector to find them and then dig them out of the ground.

Comment

Something completely different from Dane's bullets, perhaps members would like to watch this: http://www.theatlantic.com/video/arc...rlings/247878/ It is something that is often filmed and I have seen similar displays on TV, but it is so incredibly beautiful.
                              Ivy

Comment

Something different again!

Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X