Anybody's General photo thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A view from my new home.
    Yepp, a temporary move from my house at Bjerkestrand had to be done due to a total rebuild, refurbishment and major maintenance.
    The view is of course over Vestbase, so I can be in my livingroom, coffee in hand watching offshore vessels and others come and go :-)

Freikollen (629) comes visible again after passing of a snow shower. Lighted ship is NORTH SEA GIANT
    Last edited by Sterkoder; November 24th, 2013, 19:57.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

why temporary?stay there,much more practicle
      best regards Thijs

Comment

Well, this is the home of my in-laws..., who don't live here anymore. We could buy it, but when I move, it shall be when our daughter is finished at school and when we parents are too old to take care of a hole house and a yard. Also, when we sell our house, we want to move so that I can see the harbour....., from my rocking chair (haha).
        Nope, we invest over NOK 1,5 million in our house at Bjerkestrand now and really look forward to live there for many happy years :-)

Comment

NORMAND FERKING arriveing Vestbase

Comment

• Tommi
            Tommi commented
            Editing a comment
            I get a "asimut" feeling here... :-)

Hehe..., could remind you of that feeling, yes....., but there are too many buildings, trees and light poles disturbing the images... :-)

Comment

This Camphor wood chest I bought at Henderson Chests, Boundary Street in Hong Kong 1961. Still in good shape:

It is full of old pictures, mostly family pictures, but some is pictures I have taken around the world that may be scanned and posted on CVF later.

Comment

Earlier in this thread, Yves posted a couple of photos he had taken in Edinburgh back in 1982, and I said I should make then a "then and now" assignment. Well I do remember and eventually get round to doing things!

Here Yves was standing in Princes Street looking along Frederick Street:-

Here it is now:-

And here are the photos of Greyfriars Pub:

Comment

What do you do when the filter bag for the washing machine gets broken in the middle of CNY with all such shops closed???
                You improvise:

A bag that used to hold peanuts and a cloth clip or two will have to do for the time being.
                Here it is being tested. Cut shorter later.

Comment

Sitting at Fullerton One, looking across Marina Bay at the Singapore Flyer doing it's slow turns I noticed something that was obviously an optical illusion.
                  Sometime it looked like the far side of the "wheel" itself was lined up with the left support column, sometime with the right.
                  It therefore appeared like the Flyer was turning abt. 30 degr. on it's vertical axis, which is a physical and technical impossibility.

I took some pictures to see if it would also appear like that when seen through the lens of a camera:

Which it does NOT!!!
                  Anybody have a good explanation???
                  PS> It was early in the evening, so intake of alcohol is not the correct answer.

Comment

This is an optical illusion that I have often noticed elsewhere. If there is one of those advertising panels outside a shop, say, pivoted vertically within a rectangular frame so that it moves with the wind, then if the wind is steady the panel moves accordingly. But is it a fully circular motion or is it swinging back and forth? Common-sense tells you that it is the former, but brain often sees it as a back and forth motion. I have sometimes watched this and had difficulty in persuading brain to accept the truth. Looking at the very tip of the wheel in your photos, if I study the inner line at the right side then I can see that it follows the same path in each view, but otherwise I am bemused and can "see" both versions.
                    Common-sense presumably resides in a little cranny of the brain. Maybe the whole should pay more attention to the part sometimes. Only sometimes, though.
                    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• ombugge
                      ombugge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Common sense is not all that common, you know!!!
                      (Maybe I'm repeating myself??)

• wherrygirl
                      wherrygirl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hence my penultimate sentence!

Easy going in Dubaï.

Comment

Oh yes , me like....
                      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I took this picture instinctively in the dunes of Emirates because it reminded me the atmosphere of my childhood reading:Tintin in the Land Of Black Gold.

Comment

Great image..... before I ever leave this earth, I want to go CAMPING in a luxury tent in the desert of the Middle East....
                          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• ombugge
                            ombugge commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I believe there are a few tents of that description left behind by a certain gentleman from Libya who are no longer with us.
                            (Unless they have been looted, that is)

What more can a gentleman desire???:

Comment

Working...
                          X