No announcement yet.

Anybody's General photo thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At first I thought I could see a child sitting on the ground at the left holding something in her hand, but the right side opposite her was confused. Then maybe the front of a little house with the roof going up at the right and left back corners, creepers against the wall and an arched doorway. Perhaps a little pond at the front.
    A little house for a little nisse, perhaps?
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I see a bear or a wolfs head. Nice.
      Last edited by Oistein; October 9th, 2013, 23:47. Reason: I hate automatic spell check
      Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Hehehe ...got it ...it's a map of Singapore!

Comment

Yes it is a map of Singapore. You can see Jurong Island, Sentosa and St. John's Island on the lower left and Johor Strait on the upper part.
          Well done Cecilia, but than again, as a Singapore veteran, and avid map reader, maybe not surprising.

Comment

Here is a picture lifted from Marine Traffic:

Not a question of what it is, but comments are welcome.

Comment

• wherrygirl
              wherrygirl commented
              Editing a comment
              Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is another from Marine Traffic and open for comments:

Comment

Nice blue............
              Ivy

Comment

#185:-
                Yes I know I’m expected to say yuk, but I’ve been looking at this for ages. I wonder what was being done with the ladder in Deck 7 Room 12? …what happened to the chairs and table in Deck 6 Room 13? … oh look, is that TWO tables in 6/14 …very few balconies have two chairs out …looks like more people seem to have their curtains drawn in the lower decks,

… oh and NO ONE is actually out on their balcony!

Thanks for sharing ombugge!

Comment

Anybody has a witty comment for this one?:

Comment

i don't know if this is a saying in english.

who harms his nose, impair his face
                    best regards Thijs

Comment

We have a saying "To cut off your nose to spite your face" meaning to do something to hurt another person but spoil things for yourself as well, but that doesn't seem to fit here!
                      Ivy

Comment

no that is not what is the same of mine.
                        best regards Thijs

Comment

• wherrygirl
                          wherrygirl commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I can't think of an English saying which is the same as yours.

Some more pictures with questions attached.

Where would this be?:

What does these things do and how do they work?:

Does this beer brand and type still exists?:

Comment

The Long Bar at Raffles Hotel.
                          (...back later with the Edinburgh beer...interruption of watching F1 stuff ...which come to think about it was why I wasn't in the Long Bar long enough to find out about those fan thingies! )

Comment

• PoloUK
                            PoloUK commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Happy Days, good memories! Love the flippy flappy fans in the roof, peanuts on the table, drop the shells on the floor (a real luxury in Singapore where littering doesn't happen!). Never convinced about the Singapore Sling though, not to my particular taste.

• ombugge
                            ombugge commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The "flippy floppy" fan were originally pulled be a "fan wallah" sitting outside, but he has now been mechanized, or electrified, whichever you prefare. The efficiency is the same anyhow.

Yes it is the Long Bar at Raffles and nothing has changed since the last renovation.

Liked the comment Mark ...and I didn't actually try a Singapore Sling either!

Photo 3:
                          McEwan’s is a brand that still exists …but only “sort of”…

Being a north west of England lass I was kind of weaned as a beer drinker (of the dark bitter variety), but I moved (initially) south and into Cambridge wine drinking circles …and then honed my wine tasting interest up north in Scotland’s capital. Here aboard CaptainsVoyage I think that yvneac, our Ives, might have realised that I’m a bit of a wine connoisseur from the odd references in various posts. …while witnessing Ralf shopping for beer and whisky in a Leith supermarket was a Memorable Moment and I’m sure he’d be right into commenting here work permitting as he knows MUCH more about Scottish beer than I do!

So all I’ll say is that McEwans originated in Edinburgh in the 1830’s with a brewery close to city centre area in an area called Fountainbridge. Various mergers followed, most notably with another local firm Younger’s, and then with the northeast English brewers to form Scottish and Newcastle. It gets a bit complicated after that, (and some of the beers are brewed in England!), though I recollect Heineken were part of the story at one point, and I certainly remember the hullabaloo when the brewery at the Fountainbridge site closed a decade ago with job losses and so on.

The name McEwans’s survived all this, and I mostly associate it with the varieties called 80/- (“eighty shilling”) and stronger “Export” (which I think is or was exported as “India Pale Ale”).

Anyway, there is something called “McEwan’s Red” launched this year! Red looking I assume, but probably not the same as the historical “sparkling” whilst clearly trying to associate with the history of the company and appeal to trendier drinkers at the same time. The McEwan’s website mentions its “light bitterness and malty sweetness”!

Comment

Working...
                          X