• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anybody's General photo thread.

Here is a nice carving I came about a few days ago:

Were do you thing I found this???

Comment

For the left cloud I can only think of a dog with its head stretched forward to the right and ears streaming out behind. And you've got that prehistoric plant again, it keeps turning up like a bad penny.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
        Here is a nice carving I came about a few days ago:
        Were do you thing I found this???
        No idea. But it is beautiful. Is it wood or bamboo, although can you carve bamboo or is it too brittle? What do the Chinese/Japanese(?) characters say, Ombugge?
        Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
          For the left cloud I can only think of a dog with its head stretched forward to the right and ears streaming out behind. And you've got that prehistoric plant again, it keeps turning up like a bad penny.
          OK, here it is in full:

Not so pre-historic, since it is growing in our neighbour's garden.

Together with other types of Palms :

This one is fruiting just about continuously:

And while we are at it, here is the latest from our more modest "garden" on the veranda:

Comment

No idea. But it is beautiful. Is it wood or bamboo, although can you carve bamboo or is it too brittle? What do the Chinese/Japanese(?) characters say, Ombugge?
            Here it is as seen on the bridge of the HLV "Xia Zhi Yuan 6":

It is carved from wood, with many symbolic figures represented.
            The signs are very stylistic and means simply "Happiness".

More on the "XZY6" in the Heavy Lift thread, when time permits.

Comment

And while we are at it, here is the latest from our more modest "garden" on the veranda:
              Modest maybe, but just think how bare your veranda would be without the potted growing things. By the way, what is the Queen of the Night doing these days? Has it bloomed?
              Ivy

Comment

Modest maybe, but just think how bare your veranda would be without the potted growing things. By the way, what is the Queen of the Night doing these days? Has it bloomed?
                The Queen of the Night has been struggling lately. Plenty of buds, but not surviving to become flowers.
                Here is one bud that MAY survive:

Unfortunately if it does flower, we wouldn't be home to see it as it will happen in the next couple of weeks.

The Queen has got a neighbour of the same family lately:

This one hasn't flowered yet and I'm not sure what the flowers will look like.

Comment

The most prolific plants are these two:

The two-coloured Magnolia:

And this flowering bush:

This one flower abt. every 2 weeks, then dropping the flowers, only to have new buds immediately.
                  Here it is in early stage of flowering:

All bushes of this kind flower together. I'm not sure if is based on the moon cycle, or something else.

Comment

This "newcomer" is flowering constantly:

I believe it is some sort of Jasmine, but with a yellowish tint to the flowers.

The hibiscus is also setting flowers on a regular basis:

This one is also flowering more or less continuously:

I have no idea what kind this is.

Comment

This plant is just leaves, but is said to have flowers once in a while:

Although we have newer seen it yet and it is one of the oldest survivors on the veranda.

The dragon fruit it not doing what it is supposed to do, grow plump:

It grows well enough, but does not "put on weight". Maybe I'm not doing it right?

Comment

But we also grow things that can be eaten. This newly planted Chilli Padi plant is just getting the first "fruit":

Plenty of flowers should promise a steady supply of home grown Chilli Padi for months to come.

We also have a small pot of Curry Leaf to flavour home cooked dishes:

Comment

One of the remaining trees across the road is also in full flower now:

For those who followed the demolition of the buildings across the road, here is what it looks like now:

The first sign of life in this debris field is showing up.

Comment

To see the site now it is hard to believe that such intensive building was on it not so long ago. And, yes, incredible how roots and seeds of vegetation can survive and, if left alone, flourish.
                            As to your previous pics., now why didn't you show all those pots before??? "Modest garden", he says. Just look at it - a glorious show of blossom swinging into production and food plants to boot! The "some sort of jasmine" is interesting with that spathe-like wotsit and the little spray of flowers attached, the yellow flowered plant has blossom that reminds me of freesias, and I could go on - but must go up the town to the Thursday market. That dragon plant does look a bit spindly, maybe it's growing tall as quickly as possible to get away from the jungle next door. Are you feeding or watering it too much, do you think? If it dares to show a new bud at the top, why not nip that off, then maybe the plant will produce side buds? Or die. In which case my name will be mud.
                            Ivy

Comment

That dragon plant does look a bit spindly, maybe it's growing tall as quickly as possible to get away from the jungle next door. Are you feeding or watering it too much, do you think? If it dares to show a new bud at the top, why not nip that off, then maybe the plant will produce side buds? Or die. In which case my name will be mud.
                              Will be snipped tomorrow!! (Mud be on you if that doesn't do the trick)

Comment

Oh heck ............ Perhaps when you return home it will have produced a ring of little buds around the snipped end. Masses of mini dragons. Then what will you do? It will need a stick to hold them all up.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X