Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied
    Re: Ditjes en Datjes of JANIHUDI

Leave a comment:

• wherrygirl
    replied

Your front garden looks so pretty against the green in the background. There's a weeping willow there already in leaf - I saw one when I was in Norwich last Thursday but that was right in the city, while those around here and on the road to Norwich are barely showing green. Though come to think of it I must go down to look at the one by the river, the massive one I photographed once may well be coming into leaf as we have had quite a few sunny days lately. But it is still so cold in my area, the east wind is biting although not so strong as it was.

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied

2 images of the front garden,the crocusses are done now,the daffodils are in bloom,and for the tulips have to wait,but it's mostly still leaves,not much of upcoming blooms.meanwhile the pionyrose is shooting out the earth this moment with the sun it gets.

Leave a comment:

• wherrygirl
    replied

i thought that breakwaters are at shore,you can walk on them ,but it is not a paving
    What the pink and blue arrows are pointing at are breakwaters, or you can say groynes. They jut out into the water and help to stop the current washing sediment too far along the bank, or they prevent erosion of the bank. Sometimes they are just of wood, sometimes stones or concrete, so yes, you could walk on them, but not like a proper pathway.
    When you said "are at shore" you probably mean the seawall, a concrete wall built along the shore to prevent erosion.
    ''stem '' is ''stam'' but knowing you this is a type mistake. we use for the left over of a coppiced tree ''stronk'' almost the same word.
    No, I was using "stem" the English word and trying to compare it to the trunk of a tree, which is why I put it in "..." If all the tree is coppiced then that leaves only the stump.
    Your "ent" is our "graft".
    Actually, if I remember rightly, an "ent" was one of the walking trees in Lord of the Rings.

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
    We call them breakwaters. If they are longer and wider so that you can walk on them and boats can tie up alongside then they are jetties.
    i thought that breakwaters are at shore,you can walk on them ,but it is not a paving.

I understand what you mean by "loots", but if that is an English word then it is the wrong one for this. .
    i ment shoot,but to lasy to look if í was right

My dictionary gives the Dutch word "loot" as a shoot or a cutting, which makes sense in a way, but "a shoot" and "a cutting" refers more to when we take a piece from a small plant and put it in the ground to root and grow. What was your Dutch word? .
    a small piece of a plant and put it in the ground we call ''stekken'' for a few or ''stek'' for a single one.
    if we are cutting a piece of one plant and place it on another one,for making a new kind of them ,then it is ''enten'' or ''ent'' for a single one.

The "stem" of a tree is trunk, so when you have a coppiced tree like those you show, I suppose we'd just say one of its trunks, I can't think of a word for just one of several trunks growing from the base.
    ''stem '' is ''stam'' but knowing you this is a type mistake. we use for the left over of a coppiced tree ''stronk'' almost the same word.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

hey thijs when we are looking fore some new places fore taken photo;s

gr cornel ps you have talk it great about the merwede

Leave a comment:

• wherrygirl
    replied

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
    (what is the englisch name for those ''walls'',we call them ''krib'' and keeping the river sailable.
    We call them breakwaters. If they are longer and wider so that you can walk on them and boats can tie up alongside then they are jetties.

more a nonsense figure
    Oh NO

cut away loots,and still standing loots.
    I understand what you mean by "loots", but if that is an English word then it is the wrong one for this. To loot something is to steal it, or you can point to a sack of stuff you've stolen and say that is my loot. (We use it as a joke word sometimes when we have bought a lot of things.) My dictionary gives the Dutch word "loot" as a shoot or a cutting, which makes sense in a way, but "a shoot" and "a cutting" refers more to when we take a piece from a small plant and put it in the ground to root and grow. What was your Dutch word?
    The "stem" of a tree is trunk, so when you have a coppiced tree like those you show, I suppose we'd just say one of its trunks, I can't think of a word for just one of several trunks growing from the base. However, it's clear what you mean even if it's the wrong word!

commerce keeps the world rotating Ivy
    Yes, I expected something like that!

Many, many thanks for all your answers,Thijs.

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied

When I first looked at your map and at the orange dots representing the pillars for a possible emergency bridge, I noticed that there seemed to be no remains on the opposite bank. Or did the war stop before they got round to building them?
    they are there,but didn't remark them,i wasn't there afteral.the ''cold war'' was running after WWII,so the start of building was after WWII.they build the most time consuming part in ''peace time'',so in case the cold war became a ''hot'' war then they only have to place the bridge parts,what can be done in a few days,the pillars are allready there.

orange: pillars
    red : opposite pillars
    purple : trench
    grey : the removed pillars (one for shure ,but maybe 2 or even 3)(see trench)
    white line: my walk that afternoon
    bleu arrow: from where i shoot the pillars shots,with the in the water bridgehead.
    pink arrow's :from where i take some of the freighters images. (what is the englisch name for those ''walls'',we call them ''krib'' and keeping the river sailable.

this is ''normal'' level

but here is the red line, the level of the first 10 posts of the thread.yellow is the car dock.

Thijs, those meadows where the floodwater contaminated the ground so that there can be no more browsing, was that the recent floods or those years ago? What a terrible waste. The ground cannot be used for anything, can it? Who owns it - farmers? Did they get any compensation?
    the floods are there almost every year,sometime a meter ,othertimes half way dyke or even at the top of the dyke,whats is a several meters.outerside dykes aeria's are from the gouverment ,Department of public works.farmers could rent it from them for extra meadow land and grass to make hay.for food production hardly used it,maybe in case that when they sowing something there and there came a late or a early flood the seed or the harvest could be flushed away.so the farmers didn't own it,so no compasation eather.there are now the cows and horses there,just for keeping the grass short,the cows are not for milk production.

#190 Good shots by a philosopher.....
    more a nonsense figure

#191.1 and with a quick finger on the button! What are those two blue marks on the tree. Is that trunk due to be felled?
    the bleu markers are the trees that keep saved,a lot was cut away,but the bleu dots trees are all still standing,what is also good to see in this image,cut away loots,and still standing loots. btw made 2 images of those kind and this one was in the middle

#191.2 Oh well, back to commerce just when I was settling in for a good browse on historical matters and nature! BAH!
    commerce keeps the world rotating Ivy

Leave a comment:

• wherrygirl
    replied

When I first looked at your map and at the orange dots representing the pillars for a possible emergency bridge, I noticed that there seemed to be no remains on the opposite bank. Or did the war stop before they got round to building them?
    Thijs, those meadows where the floodwater contaminated the ground so that there can be no more browsing, was that the recent floods or those years ago? What a terrible waste. The ground cannot be used for anything, can it? Who owns it - farmers? Did they get any compensation?

nature gives and nature takes
    #190 Good shots by a philosopher.....

at the right time at the right place.
    #191.1 and with a quick finger on the button! What are those two blue marks on the tree. Is that trunk due to be felled?

#191.2 Oh well, back to commerce just when I was settling in for a good browse on historical matters and nature! BAH!

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied

at the right time at the right place.

''gorinchem X'' on her way to Sleeuwijk.(again)

mercon steel,a company that mades a lot of constructions for the offshore,you could have seen it on a lot of inland freighters thread images.

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied

nature gives and nature takes.

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied

''gorinchem x'' on her way to Sleeuwijk.

''gorinchem VIII''on her way to Woudrichem

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied

from the middle of the little isle,stil looking west.
    in my more younger years,this al was farmers meadow,many farmers had there cows browsing??? here in sommer.
    but the flooding bring a lot of heavy metals and more fine material with it,that its not allowed here for cows browsing??? anymore for milkproducing.

looking east into the former port,now just a trench,in the dam the drain.don't know the englisch name for it.

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied

taken here the images just below the lightbleu cross,on the southern dam,looking west,the red lined trench.

well darn,don't walk for my lens,go away.

yeah ,thats right,shame on you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X