Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ditjes en Datjes of JANIHUDI

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
    We call them breakwaters. If they are longer and wider so that you can walk on them and boats can tie up alongside then they are jetties.
    i thought that breakwaters are at shore,you can walk on them ,but it is not a paving.

I understand what you mean by "loots", but if that is an English word then it is the wrong one for this. .
    i ment shoot,but to lasy to look if í was right

My dictionary gives the Dutch word "loot" as a shoot or a cutting, which makes sense in a way, but "a shoot" and "a cutting" refers more to when we take a piece from a small plant and put it in the ground to root and grow. What was your Dutch word? .
    a small piece of a plant and put it in the ground we call ''stekken'' for a few or ''stek'' for a single one.
    if we are cutting a piece of one plant and place it on another one,for making a new kind of them ,then it is ''enten'' or ''ent'' for a single one.

The "stem" of a tree is trunk, so when you have a coppiced tree like those you show, I suppose we'd just say one of its trunks, I can't think of a word for just one of several trunks growing from the base.
    ''stem '' is ''stam'' but knowing you this is a type mistake. we use for the left over of a coppiced tree ''stronk'' almost the same word.
    best regards Thijs

Comment

i thought that breakwaters are at shore,you can walk on them ,but it is not a paving
      What the pink and blue arrows are pointing at are breakwaters, or you can say groynes. They jut out into the water and help to stop the current washing sediment too far along the bank, or they prevent erosion of the bank. Sometimes they are just of wood, sometimes stones or concrete, so yes, you could walk on them, but not like a proper pathway.
      When you said "are at shore" you probably mean the seawall, a concrete wall built along the shore to prevent erosion.
      ''stem '' is ''stam'' but knowing you this is a type mistake. we use for the left over of a coppiced tree ''stronk'' almost the same word.
      No, I was using "stem" the English word and trying to compare it to the trunk of a tree, which is why I put it in "..." If all the tree is coppiced then that leaves only the stump.
      Your "ent" is our "graft".
      Actually, if I remember rightly, an "ent" was one of the walking trees in Lord of the Rings.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

2 images of the front garden,the crocusses are done now,the daffodils are in bloom,and for the tulips have to wait,but it's mostly still leaves,not much of upcoming blooms.meanwhile the pionyrose is shooting out the earth this moment with the sun it gets.

best regards Thijs

Comment

Your front garden looks so pretty against the green in the background. There's a weeping willow there already in leaf - I saw one when I was in Norwich last Thursday but that was right in the city, while those around here and on the road to Norwich are barely showing green. Though come to think of it I must go down to look at the one by the river, the massive one I photographed once may well be coming into leaf as we have had quite a few sunny days lately. But it is still so cold in my area, the east wind is biting although not so strong as it was.
          Ivy

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

i made yesterday (with Wesley,Cornel and Marijke) a other walk,the same as the first one,below the bridge and beaver country
                and i can't remember that i had seen this 4 weeks back.

a beaver castle.

and it's not even a small one.

they didn't show up.
                best regards Thijs

Comment

this tree didn't change

best regards Thijs

Comment

how do they do it?
                    like this thus

a lot of new bite marks,they are there,no doubt about it.

Last edited by janihudi; April 22nd, 2013, 20:56.
                    best regards Thijs

Comment

they had clean up a lot of the trees ,so a better vieuw on the pillars.

at the opposite bank,a lonely pillar.later more abut this one.

best regards Thijs

Comment

this net won't catch/contains much fish anymore.

even on the water there is a smiley.

best regards Thijs

Comment

What are the flowers at #200? I would have thought species tulips because they are out before the normal one. My best ones that I have photographed before have made a very poor showing this year and are over. But you said your tulips are not out yet, so it can't be that. Whatever they are, you have a lovely sharp centre on each, Thijs.
                          In the following post I like the yellow flower best as there is more sharp detail in the centre.
                          The beaver is doing quite a bit of tree felling, isn't it? Incredible that they can get through such a thick trunk. That's the big disadvantage with these creatures - the damage they do to the trees. For that reason I am in two minds about their re-introduction here.
                          I like the net picture, quite an abstract image. And the smiley!!!
                          Ivy

Comment

they are tulips,but in the backgarden,so they get plenty of sun,(if there is sun).
                            best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                              this tree didn't change

The beaver is an animal you wouldn't want to have biting on your (wooden) leg!
                              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post

orange: pillars
                                red : opposite pillars
                                purple : trench
                                grey : the removed pillars (one for shure ,but maybe 2 or even 3)(see trench)
                                these images are on the left side of the bridge,in front of the Damen Shipyard.
                                but this is between the purple lines,more or les.

and they are still dredging

the mooringpoles ,are from the shipyard,this was there port.
                                best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                                X