Ditjes en Datjes of JANIHUDI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ditjes en Datjes of JANIHUDI

Are there always masses of shells on that beach or were they deposited by the floods?
    All I can think of for your puzzle picture is an old trainer (shoe), but I much prefer looking at the coltsfoot flower, thank you!
    Looking through your forest, it looks as if the trees are regularly coppiced, that is trunks cut off down to just above the ground. The wood is sold and the stump sends up not one but several new trunks. Crowded close like that the trunks grow fairly straight and are more useful. I don't mean the ones in front, which are presumably cut because they're near the path, but those further back.
    Lecture over.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
      first we thought that it was a dead bird,but comming closer we saw that it wasn't a bird,but a .........

Is that a fish or a bike-seat?
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
        Are there always masses of shells on that beach or were they deposited by the floods?
        there were always lots of shells there,as i can remember me,those are the beaches where we used to go to in my younger years to swim.

All I can think of for your puzzle picture is an old trainer (shoe), but I much prefer looking at the coltsfoot flower, thank you!
        you had it right J-O ,it's a bike seat,but white is not a normal color for a bike seat,so we didn't know what we saw until we get closer.Marijke made a macro image of the clotsfoot flower,i'm not,i had to change lenses,we al were walking with our big zoomers..lets see if we can get her in action here.

Looking through your forest, it looks as if the trees are regularly coppiced, that is trunks cut off down to just above the ground. The wood is sold and the stump sends up not one but several new trunks. Crowded close like that the trunks grow fairly straight and are more useful. I don't mean the ones in front, which are presumably cut because they're near the path, but those further back.
        they are indeed regulary coppiced,this is the flood aeria when the floodings come,so this al is dun under de name ''make way for the water'' ,trees ,bushes etcetcetc holding the water up,but it's also a nature aeria so a bit of 50/50 where the cow stands in the water is a flood channel,the historic port of Woudrichem is made as a water storage,on the other side of the river they also making a new flood channel,just for making a way out for the water,we the stupid farmers may drown,but the people in the cities Dordrecht ,rotterdam and everyone around there ae save,we are just farmers.
        Last edited by janihudi; April 13th, 2013, 09:53.
        best regards Thijs

Comment

okay here we go

black : the historic port of Woudrichem,digged out
          red : the new digged flood channel (about 10 years back)
          purple: the flood channel they are digging now
          yellow:a old channal to the port of Oudendijk (my birthplace)( not in use anymore,but i know that there was a kind of yacht marina for the locals)
          pink: the walk we did
          grey: the ''forest''
          orange: where i made the ''forest'' images
          bleu: the aeria where theu cut away trees including dig out the roots,so that there wil be no new loots.
          orange dots:the pillars for the Genius troops??? so that in the time of the cold war (in the winter) and the russians would blow up the bridge,the troops could build a bridge over the river.if from the beach they would use a pontoon bridge or a ''ferry'' i don't know,but images wil come.
          licht bleu: the DAMEN shipyard
          light green: where the cows walked,and we on the other side of the channel
          white: the horsies
          Last edited by janihudi; April 13th, 2013, 10:50.
          best regards Thijs

Comment

Yikes. I can't stop now, but I'll study that later today. Just now it is WARM, sun is shining and it's going to be gardening this afternoon.
            Ivy

Comment

same here,just cut the hortense,have to do that on the roses too.
              best regards Thijs

Comment

the ''gorinchem XI'' speeding to Gorinchem.

and she is arrived. (almost)

best regards Thijs

Comment

hahah it was me bull slapping

Comment

Go back in 5 years time and do it again, Cornel!
                    Ivy

Comment

then is the bull, kicking Cornel
                      best regards Thijs

Comment

I'm being thick, but I don't see how the flood channels would work. If the channels are to take the high water from the river then in the case of the black one the water would simply drain, not into the city itself, but into the other part of Woudrichem. Why does it not feed into the red one? And the purple one over in Gorinchem - with water flooding over the land from the swollen river is that drain, so close and parallel to the river, going to make any difference? How deep do they build these channels, Thijs?
                        I need a lesson from de Heer Vink, please.
                        Ivy

Comment

it is more in advence.
                          the level is some cm lower now in this aeria,see it as that the river is wider now on those places.
                          at the historic port there is a lower place (the shipyard) where it floods over to the red one to the yellow andto the red one and goes back at the marina at Sleeuwijk into the river and theaeria of the bleu line.
                          those channels are some 60 meters wide and a few meters deep,at normale tide there is maybe 1 meter water in it bud the banks are between 1to 2 meters higher.
                          so it's just a extra drain for the first waterflood,but even when the land is overflooded there is stil the extra dept and the extra wide under the surface that can drain the water.
                          but this is not only here,this is done or are dooing every where in Holland at the river banks.
                          the purple aeria is drawn at a old google image,now it is land,but they are digging it out now at this moment.
                          the biggest problem of al this aeria is the smallest part,this here is the bottleneck of the river merwede,after this point it gets wider and there comes also a splitting of the river.
                          best regards Thijs

Comment

Ah, I'm with you now. I hadn't realised that they were building dykes, of course I should have known that. So yes, the new channels would be able to hold an immense amount of flood water, preventing it from flooding the land.
                            Apart from climate change etc., Great Britain is measurably tilting from NW to SE, has been for thousands of years but now that we are so highly populated and more and more land is being taken to accommodate that, it has become more noticeable. Dunwich is an example, a little village down the coast in Suffolk renowned for the fact that it is fast disappearing below the water. A few hundred years ago it was an important port, but all that is now beneath the waves some way out, and only one street with a few houses and the church is left. It has a very high cliff which is slowly crumbling away and even since my time here the last few graves which were once on the top, belonging to an old monastery, have fallen over the cliff. Is anything like that happening to the Netherlands, or is the problem only due to rising sea levels?
                            Sorry to hijack your thread, Thijs, I've just wondered what started this and found it was because I remarked on the coppicing of your little forest!
                            What I forgot to say is that I was amused by your picture of Gorinchem XI hell-bent on getting there!
                            Ivy

Comment

offcours i had to go too Dunwich,i quickly booked a trip and in a few seconds i arrive there.looks a nice little village.
                              but are the storms so heavy there?when i see how high the beaches go.
                              i even saw the gravestone of Jacob Forster,not far away the clif,looks like a nice place to spend a few hours in the village and the ruins of the monastery,
                              and not to forget the bridge at ''lovers' lane''.

we are batteling against the water thats atack us in our back.the upstream water.
                              thank our coastline thats protecting us, we are ''save'' (pay attenton to the '' '') but we also have a growing population and at some places they allowed to build in the outher side dykes aerias.
                              now they want you out of there under the name of ''make way to the water'',the idea behnd it is to drain the water as fast as posseble,no buildings anymore,before the flood times comes,cut a lot of trees,make a lot of water storage places and even worst IF there wil be such a amount of water that the rivers cant drain it,blow yp the dykes and flooded the aeria behind it.and offcoursse where do they do that,at farmers land,and where do I live???????????
                              in farmers country,but the population in the cities in the west can keeping there feets dry.
                              we get payed for our damages ,but the whole ilse where i live on is surounded by dykes,so the perfect storage place.
                              but before it wil come so far they are digging now in the wide river banks as i have shown you with the colored lines.
                              o, btw the goverment spent millions and millions of euro's for dune protection,the sea take the dunes away from us,but we ''clever dutchies'' take the sand back from the sea and throw it back on the dunes.
                              a new experiment they are working on now is the ''zandmotor'' sand engine.
                              they throw 21,5 cube meter sand for the cost,and with the help of storms ,wind,waves and stream the sand wil be distribute along the coast line.

http://www.dezandmotor.nl/en-GB/

this is the nice thing of these kind of threads,you can NEVER go of topic.

i'm happy with this one too,it's nowhere really out of focus,everything is visseble,the reed in the forground,the water the feery, Gorinchem over the hole line,the reed nearby and Gorichem hundreds meters away.
                              probally a lucky shot.
                              best regards Thijs

Comment

That video, Thijs, of the Sand Engine, is spectacular in what it is demonstrating, i.e. the determination of the Dutch to defend their land against the encroaching sea. I hope that many members will watch it. Now if we'd had a chopper handy when we were watching the QMII out at the Hoek we could have gone up and had a look at it! An ingenuous plan, and surprisingly it didn't take all that long to accomplish.
                                Dunwich beach beneath the cliff is slightly sloping but that does not stop the sea undercutting the base of the cliff, causing it to crumble. I haven't been there for several years, but I noticed the difference between the last two visits I made, in that the cliff-top footpath had been moved inland a few feet and another headstone had gone. But on the north side of the main street the land changes dramatically, there is no cliff and the land is almost level with the sea. At http://www.dunwich.org.uk/ you see the plan of the old town under the water. Norfolk's east coast suffers in the same way. People are literally losing their houses over the cliff because of the undercutting by the sea. They are not covered by insurance, cannot sell their property, so what can they do? Hang on, watch their garden crumble yard by yard and then what?
                                By the way, Dunwich is famed for something else - its fish and chip cafe on the beach!
                                Your remark
                                thank our coastline thats protecting us, we are ''save'' (pay attenton to the '' '') but we also have a growing population and at some places they allowed to build in the outher side dykes aerias.
                                rings a bell in this country, too. A lot of building has been done on flood plains in recent years, and now they are waking up to the fact that it was not the best thing to do.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X