No announcement yet.

Wherrygirl's Garden Patch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ohhhh..... I remember in my childhood when we used to collect those small frogs - called RUMPETROLL - in glass jars....
    With kind regards,

Jan-Olav Storli
    Administrator and Owner CaptainsVoyage Forum / CaptainsVoyage.com

Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/

Comment

• wherrygirl
      wherrygirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Rumpetroll, what a lovely sounding word. I like it that there is a troll at the end!

8 May 2016

Last September Thijs sent me a fascinating large-format book called Holland, Living With Water, which he knew would interest me very much. As well as the interesting text there are many excellent photographs, some being of places that I know. In the parcel was also a packet of tulip bulbs from Henny, Thijs' wife. Because the weather was still quite mild then I didn't plant them till about late November lest they come up too soon in the middle of a very cold spring.
    They emerged this year at about the right time and I have been waiting eagerly for them to come into bloom - they are special.
    These photos do not do justice to their beauty and I had hoped to take better ones later, but the wind has been so very strong almost every day that it was impossible. So here are a couple of the early ones. Thijs was worried that I would not like the colour - I'm not keen on ordinary bluish pink, but these are a very attractive dark aubergine shade (darker than seems in the images) feathered on to pure white - I love them. Today, another cold and windy one, they are starting to shed their petals and I'll miss them.

P1190927
    by Ivy, on Flickr

P1190928
    by Ivy, on Flickr
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

They look great Ivy. My ice tulips are beside one not in bloom And the one that did, didn't go further than just a start.
      best regards Thijs

Comment

"RUMPETROLL" - fantastic word, sounds like a character from a Hans Christian Andersen fairytale book. Looks like you are going to be overrun with frogs, Ivy, unless heron visit for a feast.

Keep on posting the piks. Have been adding to my collection of Japanese Maples in pots, and mainly potting up hanging baskets as it keeps them up in the air and out of the reach of the dastardly slugs.

Comment

Nothing new in the garden, Ivy? How are all those tadpoles going? Talking of heron, a few weeks ago, I visited Bletchley Park. Their lake around which all the huts surround, had a fearless heron surveying the waters. One of the wardens doesn't like it being there as it has a taste for eating all the new ducklings.

We have in our garden a brown bird the size of a female blackbird, but it is definitely mottled - not as per a thrush, but wondered if it was just a strange female blackbird. Recently, I've seen another one, but smaller, with the same mottled markings, which I have taken to be the larger one's chick. I'm intrigued now. This dryer weather is great, but the more plants you pot up means the more there are you have to water!

Comment

17 August 2016

Yes, my favourite - the rose Korresia. It has never been so prolific as this year. Three bloomings and the last one had a tally of over 30 blossoms - incredible.
            This spray amused me because of its elegant shape.

P1190964 by Ivy, on Flickr
            Last edited by wherrygirl; August 28th, 2016, 21:24.
            Ivy

Comment

That's beautiful Ivy - the way it's grown itself into a flower arrangement is astonishing, the contrasting colours of the leaves on either side are perfect.
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Thank you very much, Mark.
                Ivy

Comment

3 September 2016

Not a particularly good photo, but I was lucky it kept still as long as it did! Red Admirals rarely visit the garden.

P1190974 by Ivy, on Flickr
                  Ivy

Comment

How clever of that flutterby to know it was meant to land on a 'Butterfly Bush'!

Thank you for keeping your 'garden plot' going, Ivy - so interesting. Haven't really noticed Red Admirals near us, although we seem to get the usual cabbage whites. Still get visits from our neighbourhood grey squirrels who come for the bread I throw out.

A week ago, I opened my adjacent garage to get my car out and heard a noise on the drive to see a squirrel who hadn't realised anyone was in the garage. It was planning to trot a little further and then leap to the top of the adjacent fence, where its routine is then to follow the fence top to trees at the rear. However, as soon as it saw me, it started and decided to launch itself at the fence earlier than intended. It hit the fence only half way up, and I anticipated seeing a cartoon-style splat with claw marks gouging down the planks as the creature slid into a heap at the bottom. But no! Out came its claws and it just stuck to the fence with all 4 limbs spreadeagled at if the panels were covered in tar. Never seen a normal grey 'fly' like that before.

Comment

You are lucky to have squirrels around,Paul. I have only once seen one on my fence and that was many years ago.
                      That red admiral above certainly knew where to land to show off its brilliant colouring. I've only had the miniature buddleia two years. Last year it produced a single lovely spike which I proudly displayed a bit further back, but this year it has been covered with them. They were much smaller of course and the butterflies, mainly cabbage whites and the small tortoishells, have had a field day. The whole plant will need cutting back though lest it morphs into the usual great bush type.
                      Ivy

Comment

Hi, Ivy. Last weekend I noticed a very different bird in our rear garden, the likes of which I haven't seen before and haven't been able to ID as yet. It was smaller than our sparrows but slightly larger than a wren. It was a sort of olive green in colour with what seemed like a crescent of white along its folded wings. It had a sort of dipping style of flight, and then actually hovered over our bird bath before landing. Would love to see it again, but it will drive me mad until I know what it was.

Comment

Last weekend I noticed an unusual bird in our back garden, the likes of which I have never seen before. Smaller than a sparrow, but larger than a wren. Olive green to grey in colour with what appeared to be a crescent of white just on or under its folded wings. It had a sort of dipping style of flight, then actually hovered over our bird bath before landing for a drink. Driving me mad to know what it was.

Just done an RSPB search and think it might have been either a Chiffchaff or a Garden Warbler. The bellies of both seem to be lighter than the one in our garden, but size and characteristics point to maybe the former. Never seen one before.

Comment

I have an excellent Birds programme on the laptop, I'll have a dekko at that. It can be surprisingly difficult to ID birds sometimes, what with juveniles having different colouring, pre-moult and post-moult plumage and even variations between the same type of bird. Think of how the male house sparrow can vary from bird to bird.
                            Whichever bird you had in your garden, it would have been lovely to see it. (Very jealous! )
                            Ivy

Comment

Birds program? There's a 'Twitter' joke in there somewhere!
                              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X