No announcement yet.

Wherrygirl's Garden Patch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the Rhus is now devoid of berries, but the blackbirds' bellies are full of berries.Blackberries-a-plenty on the brambles at present. Anyone picking them? They go well with apples in a fruit crumble.

Comment

16 July 2015 (very much out of sequence!)

Heart of a lily

P1190802
      by Ivy, on Flickr
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

wow,very nice focused and in color.
        i started yesterday with taken out the dahlia's,but just 2 ,the rest will follow
        best regards Thijs

Comment

Thanks Thijs.

2 September 2015 (Back on track now)

The Silver Y moth

P1190832 by Ivy, on Flickr

I first saw this moth two years ago and at the time thought I had found a rarity. He-he, what an idiot I was.
          Ivy

Comment

11 September 2015

P1190884
            by Ivy, on Flickr

This is my new miniature Blue Chip buddleia - it has performed splendidly this summer. Now I'm afraid that it may outgrow its allotted place, but maybe it is because of the great amount of rain we have had this "summer", as everything has spread itself.
            Ivy

Comment

• pakarang
              pakarang commented
              Editing a comment
              Beautiful flower! Love the color too...

Thank you, Jan-Olav, it certainly was a beauty. Looking forward to what it will do next year!
            Ivy

Comment

5 September 2015

P1190879
              by Ivy, on Flickr

This is an absolutely stunning colour and the plant has been covered in bloom ever since I bought it several months ago. The strange thing is that the flowers are only now beginning to show signs of being past their best!

P1190879
              by Ivy, on Flickr
              Ivy

Comment

• pakarang
                pakarang commented
                Editing a comment
                Beautiful color and detail, dear Ivy!

Thank you very much, Jan-Olav. The whole plant is stunning.
              Ivy

Comment

Hi Ivy. Nice to see you continuing with the macro photography. Nature creates some beautiful patterns. Did you manage to snap anything of interest over the Christmas period? We decided to plant up arrangements of suitable festive plants to go on the various graves we visit this year instead of taking the traditional holly wreaths.Made a nice and cheerful change, and hopefully will last longer, so long as they aren't stolen, which unfortunately does happen.

If we buy pots of various plants during the year, they tend to get put outside on a patio table once finished. Noticed one of them is currently sprouting nice narcissus flowers at present, such is the situation with our temperatures.Nobody has told Mother Nature it isn't Spring, yet.

The lily is a nice pik.

Please keep up your posts with your garden; they are nice to look forward to!
                Last edited by Paul Cobb; January 5th, 2016, 11:04. Reason: Correction of typo

Comment

No Paul, there was nothing worth looking twice at in my garden, for a Christmas show. And as for daffodils, mine are just showing one or two buds but they are puny little things so far, much too early. A few weeks ago there was a lovely show of them in full bloom, they were in Susse.x apparently and, if I remember rightly, were one of those backgrounds to the weather forecast. My aconites are just popping up but no snowdrops as yet. It's certainly a weird mix that gardens are showing at the moment.
                  Ivy

Comment

Ivy, nice to hear your aconites are popping up! Guess it's due to the cold weather!

Called to one of our cemeteries last week, and whereas the arrangement of plants was intact, someone had decided to lift the accompanying red candle that helped to make it seasonal. The candle was still there in another one, though. -1 degree here this morning, so any early confused growth is going to suffer - inevitable, I guess. I have noticed a few Jenny wrens about recently which I don't usually get to see. Also great tuts in our garden yesterday. Always nice to see cheeky robins about as well, and we get the odd wagtail. Our regular visitors eagerly awaiting crusts to be thrown out, however, are wood pigeon, sparras, blackbirds and maggies. Doubt your moths and other bugs in your garden wouldn't last long here - although the thrushes etc are welcome to as many snails and slugs as they can find.

Comment

You're lucky with all those birds. I think mine have all decided to take up migration, the bird seed goes unpecked for several days and only the little dunnocks appear regularly. I've just bought some different mixed bird seed to see if that will satisfy them as the last batch of minute seeds seemed even more minute than usual, sort of dried up looking. But even the suet balls attracted little attention and they usually disappear very quickly.
                      The slugs will have a field day when the weather warms up as there were many quite small ones all over the garden during all the mild weather we have had. Maybe a thrush will help me out!
                      Ivy

Comment

How's the garden patch going, Ivy? Weather to test even the hardiest of plants, let alone new and tender growth - sun and mild temps to tease, followed by frost, torrential downpours and gales.No wonder there are no birds in your garden, they're sheltering in the bird houses. Wsa bought a nesting box for Easter suitable for blue tuts. Just need to decide on where to hang it now.

Comment

10 April 2016

About the usual time last year the blue tit started inspecting the nestbox but a day or two later there was a fight going on between it and a great tit, each wanting the nestbox. Result - nobody used it! This year I waited hopefully but although the tit now comes frequently to the bird table it has shown no sign of using the box. Very disappointing.
                          However, just look at these little wrigglies at one corner of the pond:.

P1190920
                          by Ivy, on Flickr
                          Ivy

Comment

have you named them already?
                            best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                            X